Spyder Garage

Default Oil Change on 2016 RTS is a pain

Just changed the oil on my 2016 RTS for the first time since I bought it.

Several comments
    1. Why do they use security torx for the body panels?
    2. Why did they bury everything so deep under the tupperware?
    3.Has any one else wanted to slap one of the design engineers when changing the oil?

Do the people who do poorly designed maintenance jobs ever have to perform maintenance work so they are more aware of how to properly design things for easier maintenance?

Seriously would have slapped the design engineer while doing the oil change or at least give him/her a good instructional butt chewing about how to make an oil and filter change a much simpler process.

Thanks for letting me vent about making a simple oil change a pain.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Willie View Post

Several comments
    If you've removed the security torx, you've made an errror. The security torx are there to keep the bent pins in place to re-install the panels in the correct alignment. DAMHIKT
    With practice, the panels come off fairly easily. You might want to think about getting Magic Mirror magnetic mounts to make it easy to remove/replace the mirrors
    3.Has any one else wanted to slap one of the design engineers when changing the oil?
    Slapping is too good for them

Do the people who do poorly designed maintenance jobs ever have to perform maintenance work so they are more aware of how to properly design things for easier maintenance?
    Yes, but it's usually after the design has been in the field for a few years before the design engineers get to it. The 2020+ models are far easier to maintain.

Seriously would have slapped the design engineer while doing the oil change or at least give him/her a good instructional butt chewing about how to make an oil and filter change a much simpler process.

My Comments added.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-03-2024 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Thin Red fonts/text are almost impossible for some to read... :-(
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Could you please enlighten us on some specific changes and how they would make maintenance easier? Where would you place the oil drain plug and locate the air filter? I'll start by suggesting a spin on oil filter.

Spyder Garage

I do have the Magic Mirrors and agree they are a great option. Will check the security torx tomorrow to see what you are talking about. Maybe I was just being grouchy!!

Spyder Garage

Yep, feeling pretty dumb. Walked back out to my shop and immediately saw why the security torx are there. Put the pins back on the torx and will finish assembly tomorrow.. Thanks for the kind lesson and suggestions!! I would still put the oil filter in a different place where it could be accessed with removing panels. I work on all kind of vehicles, chainsaws and small engines, so appreciate good designs that makes things easy to work on. Learning curve on the Can Am for sure though.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    My Comments added.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I agree with a spin on oil filter. That alone would make life much easier. As far as vehicle design goes. I think the engineers were given the job of putting five pounds of stuff in a two pound package and told to keep it to a price point.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Your comment 1 about the security torx, I never touch these.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    I agree with a spin on oil filter. That alone would make life much easier.
    Think about this for a minute. Where are you going to put a spin on oil filter on the 1330 ACE engine where it isn't going to result in either (a) a location wherein the changer isn't going to have to remove more Tupperware to get at the filter, or (b) a whole lot of oil running all over the place when the changer removes the spin on filter, or both the above. Oil filters were all in canisters when I began changing them many decades ago. It's a much cleaner way to go but takes up more space and the Rotax engineers did a darn good job, IMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The air and oil filter set up on the 1330 is way better than the 998.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Willie View Post

Several comments

Thanks for the Heads-up about your 'Spyder RTS' Oil Change issues.
    I was thinking about this Years ago and found this Forum 'Spyderlovers'. Lots of valuable information and tips. Post up your questions and comments about your Spyder.

Enjoy your Ryde Times. ....

Got a Spyder issue......we are here to help.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Knowing BRP, if they did get the bright idea of adapting a spinon oil filter and/or using a hex headed oil plug they would likely add about $3k to the spyder's list price. The hex head on the oil drain would neither be metric nor SAE. You know it would take a special wrench, not included in the tool kit, wherever that's hidden. The spinon filter would be of its own design, again the treads would only be of BRP's making and not available anywhere other than a Can Am dealer, and at somewhere in the neighborhood of $49.95 each. So, we'd best not complain too much or we'll all get nose bleeds just from the high prices.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Knowing BRP, if they did get the bright idea of adapting a spinon oil filter and/or using a hex headed oil plug they would likely add about $3k to the spyder's list price. The hex head on the oil drain would neither be metric nor SAE. You know it would take a special wrench, not included in the tool kit, wherever that's hidden. The spinon filter would be of its own design, again the treads would only be of BRP's making and not available anywhere other than a Can Am dealer, and at somewhere in the neighborhood of $49.95 each. So, we'd best not complain too much or we'll all get nose bleeds just from the high prices.
    I don't know about that, we have been bashing the tires for years and all they did was call it a different name!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I don't know about that, we have been bashing the tires for years and all they did was call it a different name!
    Well, that certainly solves the problem, doesn't it? Seems like that philosophy is being equally used innnn..............oops, I can't go there.

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl