View Poll Results: Have you had any issues with your Kenda tires?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have had NO issues with my OEM Kenda tires.

51 59.30%
  • I HAVE had issues with my OEM Kenda tires.

35 40.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Issues with Kenda Tires or Not?

Note: (Do Not include misalignment, puncture, road damage or other non-tire fault causes in your response.) Include balance issues only if the tire was out of round and therefore, could not be balanced.

Tires are always a hot topic here on Spyderlovers. And for good reason. Tires are our only contact with the surface we ride on. Tires can make a great deal of difference in ride, handling, traction, and overall safety. There are many variables like overall weight, weight distribution, tire pressure, alignment, riding style, weather conditions, extent of wear, and, of course, the tire itself.

Kenda's (the original equipment tire) get a fair amount of bashing here. Deserved or not. And I would say there is a general consensus on the subject, with the always present outliers. But is this based on verifiable evidence, or just group think? I don't have any illusions that this simple poll will resolve anything conclusively. But at the same time, I feel it may add to the discussion with actual numbers.

In the end, I hope you enjoy the results. They could be quite revealing. The more who participate, the more relevant the outcome.

The results are anonymous, so don't be shy. Just tell it like it is in your experience.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-28-2024 at 10:03 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Wow! First vote

Coming up on 15,000 miles on original rubber and no issues. That being said, I have a General for the rear and two Vredsteins for the fronts in the garage and going to be put on at the spring service. Which I hope is in the next few weeks!
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

I push my machines harder than most and the same is true for my RT. The 1st 1000 miles on the kendas regularly woke up the nanny in the twisties. Based on this forum's expert advice, I switched to quatrac5 all around. Not surprisingly, the nanny became much more docile and let me 'ride my own ride' with far less interference. I can't speak for longevity because I tossed the kendas in the trash at 1000 miles.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jesster72 View Post
    Wow! First vote

Coming up on 15,000 miles on original rubber and no issues. That being said, I have a General for the rear and two Vredsteins for the fronts in the garage and going to be put on at the spring service. Which I hope is in the next few weeks!
    I put a General out back on my original 2018 with Federal Formozas on the front, and it is back in that configuration with later purchased the PPA wheels and Vredesteins now on the new one. I will be replacing the rear tire on the second one in the fall. So it appears that both General and Vredestein has a size for the rear, so I am curious why you choose the General and not the Vredestein for the rear, as I was considering a Vredestein for the rear.

I would also note that the Federal, General and Vredestein tires all show hardly any wear with thousand of miles on them. I have put around 14,000 miles on the first 2018(starting in the fall of 2020) and already 1,700+ on the newer one. All with just local day rides.
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 02-28-2024 at 10:40 AM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I put a General out back on my original 2018 with Federal Formozas on the front, and it is back in that configuration with later purchased the PPA wheels and Vredesteins now on the new one. I will be replacing the rear tire on the second one in the fall. So it appears that both General and Vredestein has a size for the rear, so I am curious why you choose the General and not the Vredestein for the rear, as I was considering a Vredestein for the rear.
    The General is a 215 cross section. The Vredestein is a 205 cross section. Most like the wider look.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I push my machines harder than most and the same is true for my RT. The 1st 1000 miles on the kendas regularly woke up the nanny in the twisties. Based on this forum's expert advice, I switched to quatrac5 all around. Not surprisingly, the nanny became much more docile and let me 'ride my own ride' with far less interference. I can't speak for longevity because I tossed the kendas in the trash at 1000 miles.
    I never had a cornering nanny issue, however the Kendas on the front would feel like they were getting pushed out in hard corners and they hook back the other direction. Not a nice feeling!

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    No real reason, since this is my first Spyder and my first tire change on it. I read a ton of threads on here, and it seemed most were happy with either out back. I think BajaRon mentioned the Altimax 45 was a good fit recently, so I grabbed one. The Vredsteins on front seem to get an overwhelming nod of approval, so that one was pretty clear cut for me.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

No issues with my Kenda's so far, (22 F3S made in China) yes they push out in high speed corners but I believe there is more than the tire involved there. I think this is a good survey but it might help if the responders included the year the tire was made and where (country of origin).
    The Kenda website indicates that their headquarters are in Taiwan and have seven manufacturing plants - including one in Taiwan, one in Indonesia, two in Vietnam and three in China; and a North American subsidiary, American Kenda Rubber Co. Ltd.
    They have the new Kanine KR20 (BRP tire) so it would be interesting to see if any of the newer Spyders are coming with the KR20 and if the owners feel they are as good as or better than the original? Just my suggestion and not meant to highjack the thread.

Spyder Garage

I voted that I didn't have any problems with the original Kendas. I got 10,000 miles or so out of the original rear tire and when I replaced it I replaced the front tires at the same time.
    Put on Vredestein Quatracs all around.
    What I noticed with the new tires was better performance - better handling, better side grip in turns, better rear tire traction, better stability on gravel roads. My bike just feels smoother.
    The Kendas did okay I guess but the new tires are just so much better I would never go back.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

The ONLY issue I had with a Kenda was in 2014 when they introduced the new 1330/3. They came with OEM Kenda with softer rubber. Most noted 4K to 6K miles and then a replacement was needed. I got 8.9K from my rear Kenda.

In 200K miles on 7 spyders, I went through several sets of Kendas. NEVER a problem with any other than the rear tire middle wear...which I felt went away by adjusting the pressure down to 26#. I consistently got 15K on the rear tires and 20K on the fronts. I tried two others as "tests." Federals one time, but traded off before they were worn out. K9's one time. Sold that bike with only a couple K miles on that set.

I have sold my spyders, so I am out of the tire game. They worked for me, and I have no complaint about them. I am not mechanical, so I needed to have my tires replaced by dealers or those knowledgeable about such things.

See my signature for the full picture.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Folks are generally anti stock tire I think. Harley riders call there's Dunflops! I got 12,000 out of the Kenda and feel that is good for any bike rear tire. Cold, heat, or toad strangling rain, I was never uncomfortable with the feel of the tire. Are there better? Of course! No vehicle maker of any kind puts premium tires on new ones, my Chevy included.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-28-2024 at 02:56 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2020RTL

Spyder Garage

I think what we are going to get here are mistaken comments about how much better smoother etc new car tyres felt to those who swapped over from Kendas.
    Of the dozens of sets of new tyres on everything from slot cars to Kenworths that I've ever replaced regardless of the brand, every single time they are newly balanced with even tread, equal pressures, usually newly aligned geometry. If they didn't feel "new' there was something else worn that needed looking at. Easy to assume it's the new tyres that are superior to the replacements, Kenda or not.
    The compound in the Kendas that no one has the tyre wear numbers of by the way (it's not stated anywhere so you can't even use it as a starting guide to your replacemnt car tyres) is pretty low just by the grip they give if you push hard cornering or accelerating.
    How many understand that if you feel like it's getting squirelly cornering then it's the suspension letting you down more than the tyres? That's why Ron sells gazillions of sway bars.
    If you're happy with car tyres that seemingly last forever more power to you, but if you're into other aspects of performance from your spyder don't be fooled by the constant talk of one particular tyre over another, nothing is ever as it seems, and this is a case in point.
    I haven't tried the new Vietnamese Kanines yet, but will be trying them soon, the plies are the same amount as the old Chinese Kendas, but it's unknown if they are of a different material, it's very hard to get any information from Kenda, so it's back to seat of your pants to work it out.
    Variables alone preclude any tyre from being perfect, I would guesstimate about a 75% happy factor on every single one of them.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-28-2024 at 10:50 PM. Reason: ' 's after sentences... ;-)
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

i bought my 2011 Can Am RT-S last year with Kenda tires all way around. I don't know how much mileage was on the tires when I bought it but the tires looked like new. In about 3000 miles my rear tire was shot (worn in the middle) replaced with a Kumho which has done well. My front Kendas are holding up really well but plan to change to auto tire later. Am having problems finding the tire I want in 165/65R14. The Kenda Kanine tire does not seem available for the 14" tires.
    2011 Can AM RT-S SE5 Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leaping1 View Post
    i bought my 2011 Can Am RT-S last year with Kenda tires all way around. I don't know how much mileage was on the tires when I bought it but the tires looked like new. In about 3000 miles my rear tire was shot (worn in the middle) replaced with a Kumho which has done well. My front Kendas are holding up really well but plan to change to auto tire later. Am having problems finding the tire I want in 165/65R14. The Kenda Kanine tire does not seem available for the 14" tires.
    Well you are in luck .... Vredestein still has the Quatrac 5 in that size ..... @ tire rack .... they ship for free .... The entire Vredestein line is among the highest rated tires we can use .....Mike

Spyder Garage

On our 2014 that came with the softer compound I had issues with side load in that pushed hard in corners it would skip. Made my wife ill, so I always had to drive slow when she was aboard. Switched to a car tire in the rear at 6000 miles as the Kenda was worn out, and that solved the skipping issue. Front tires at 20,000 miles due to severe cupping.
    On my 2020 RT I had to replace the rear at 9000 miles due to an out of round tire that caused it to wear 1/2 of the tire bald (picture a tire with the top half with tread and the bottom half like a drag strip tire).
    I now run Vredsteins on all three tires. Great handling tires that also get fantastic wear. On my 2020 I have 81,000 miles on it, and I replaced the front Vredsteins after 56,000 miles (still good tread, but the side tread was getting thin on one). The rear I get 30,000 miles out of them and they still handle my aggressive riding style.
    I have a friend who told me he once tried car tires but had them taken off as he stated it didn't handle as well. I was surprised when he called me to ask about the Vredsteins as his dealer was carrying them. I told him that they are now the only tire I ride with. He said that he was going to trust me and have them installed. After 6 weeks I called him and asked if we were still friends due to my tire recommendations. He told me he loved the tires and was totally impressed with the grip as well as how smooth his Spyder now rides.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-29-2024 at 01:54 AM.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well you are in luck .... Vredestein still has the Quatrac 5 in that size ..... @ tire rack .... they ship for free .... The entire Vredestein line is among the highest rated tires we can use .....Mike
    Your best move is to go to a 15" front wheel. This will give you much better results and tire options that work very well.

Added Note: Any Can-Am Spyder OEM wheel will work. I'm running a 2015 F3 wheel on my 2008 GS. The Spyder not only looks better with a 15" wheel, it rides and handles better as well.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-29-2024 at 12:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

2020 RTL and original tires no issues. 2022 F3L Limited original tires no issues. Ride in all sorts of weather and road conditions.
    That's just me....

Spyder Garage

Had to have both front tires replaced within 100 miles. Seriously out of round.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I'm happy with the Kendas and honestly I get more mileage out of mine than hubby does on his Harley Ultra Limited...for the most part. I have 72,000 miles on my 2018 F3 Limited and have had fronts replaced at 22K (my bad...hit a rock and blew out side wall) 54K (it was time) and need new ones now at 72K (riding to interior Alaska through the Yukon will chew up everyone's tires!). I have had rear tire replaced at 14K, 27K, 42K, 54K, and 61K (wanted to head to Alaska with fresh tread!) and now need a new rear one at 72K. I have three new tires sitting in our garage...this will be my first set of the Kenda Kanines and I'm looking forward to seeing how these feel and wear. Just FYI, a new set of tires for hubby's HD is just over $500...and that's only two tires, lol! So that's my 2 cents.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PURPLEON3 View Post
    I'm happy with the Kendas and honestly I get more mileage out of mine than hubby does on his Harley Ultra Limited...for the most part. I have 72,000 miles on my 2018 F3 Limited and have had fronts replaced at 22K (my bad...hit a rock and blew out side wall) 54K (it was time) and need new ones now at 72K (riding to interior Alaska through the Yukon will chew up everyone's tires!). I have had rear tire replaced at 14K, 27K, 42K, 54K, and 61K (wanted to head to Alaska with fresh tread!) and now need a new rear one at 72K. I have three new tires sitting in our garage...this will be my first set of the Kenda Kanines and I'm looking forward to seeing how these feel and wear. Just FYI, a new set of tires for hubby's HD is just over $500...and that's only two tires, lol! So that's my 2 cents.
    According to the polling so far 60/40 you new Kanines are going to spontaneously combust at the end of your driveway!
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

What I see is that those who have only used Kenda tires do not know what they are missing in regard to better handling with tires like the Federal's and Vredestein's. When I first got a Spyder in 2020 I was on I-10 South of Phoenix and being anywhere near a semi-truck had us and the trike getting blown around pretty good. Fast forward 3 years and I still get buffeted around in a semi's wake, but at least now the trike tracks straight.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-29-2024 at 10:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

The only issue I had with my '13's Kenda's was incredibly short life span,
    here's a pic of my OEM Kenda on the left at 9,000 miles, General Altimax on right at 29,000 miles
    Same Spyder, same driver and passenger, you can decide
    Kenda on left General on Right.jpg
    Same issue on my '18 RTL OEM Kenda didn't make it 8,150 miles before it had to be replaced (with a Vredestein Quatrac)
    Here's my 2018 RTL OEM Kenda rear
    2018 RTL OEM Kenda Rear tire at 8,150 miles.jpg
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I voted issues, but not handling or vibration issues. The only issues I have with them is they only last about half as long as the other tires I have replaced them with. I do have issues with having to change tires twice as often as should be nessesary.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, looking forward to these results, I am particularly interested in the Knines but then the poll is not specific, maybe the comments will be helpful.

56K miles on Vredsteins, oh my! That is on big PR sales incentive.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-01-2024 at 07:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    I think what we are going to get here are mistaken comments about how much better smoother etc new car tyres felt to those who swapped over from Kendas.
    Of the dozens of sets of new tyres on everything from slot cars to Kenworths that I've ever replaced regardless of the brand, every single time they are newly balanced with even tread, equal pressures, usually newly aligned geometry. If they didn't feel "new' there was something else worn that needed looking at. Easy to assume it's the new tyres that are superior to the replacements, Kenda or not.
    Truer words have never been spoken. Replace your old worn out tires with the exact same new tires and the ride is going to be much, much better.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!