Spyder Garage

Default Do I need a black backing plate when replacing brake pads?

Every time I change my pads, I can't see the black backing pads. Others have the black backing pads as shown in the picture. Do I really need that black metal backing plate?

Screenshot_20240227_231509_YouTube.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-27-2024 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Title clarification

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kongdoly View Post
    Every time I change my pads, I can't see the black backing pads. Others have black backing pads as shown in the picture. Do I really need that black metal backing plate?

Screenshot_20240227_231509_YouTube.jpg
    I've always been told the "shim" that snaps onto the back of the pad between the caliper and the pad face serves to quiet noisy brakes. I've read it can help with heat as well - though not convinced of that. Also, the tabs that hold it onto the pad are sometimes longer so that as the pad wears down it rubs against the rotor giving you that "squeal" as an indicator that the pad needs to be replaced (before it's gone).

All that said - if yours are missing - it's not the end of the world. Your brakes will work without them - I've seen many brake setups where those are just gone. A lot of aftermarket pads don't come with new ones - and some OEM pads do come with new ones. When I do brake jobs for folks I always save/reuse the old ones if I don't have new ones to put on - but I also don't fret if they aren't there when I pull the old pads off.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-27-2024 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    I've always been told the "shim" that snaps onto the back of the pad between the caliper and the pad face serves to quiet noisy brakes. I've read it can help with heat as well - though not convinced of that. Also, the tabs that hold it onto the pad are sometimes longer so that as the pad wears down it rubs against the rotor giving you that "squeal" as an indicator that the pad needs to be replaced (before it's gone).

All that said - if yours are missing - it's not the end of the world. Your brakes will work without them - I've seen many brake setups where those are just gone. A lot of aftermarket pads don't come with new ones - and some OEM pads do come with new ones. When I do brake jobs for folks I always save/reuse the old ones if I don't have new ones to put on - but I also don't fret if they aren't there when I pull the old pads off.
    Thank you for a detailed description.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-27-2024 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

If you aren't using the backing plate, I highly recommend using CRC or other disk quiet gel on the back. Cover the back of the plate with a thick layer of the product and let it sit for 30 minutes or so. Then install as normal.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    If you aren't using the backing plate, I highly recommend using CRC or other disk quiet gel on the back. Cover the back of the plate with a thick layer of the product and let it sit for 30 minutes or so. Then install as normal.
    thank you!! ◇_◇

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I use brake grease (quiet) even if I do have the plates. Put it everywhere there is metal on metal contact.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!