Spyder Garage

Default Updated: Screw in rear tire of '19. RT. WHERE do you get your tires replaced?

I discovered a screw near the sidewall of my rear today. 2019 RTL. I see plenty of recommendations here for type and size of tire and can read through those. However, I don’t see much on where to take it? Texas Adventure in North Dallas is my local dealer, but I don’t know if they have all the wheel and tire stuff. Nor do I know if the Discount Tire place that I use for my cars can handle getting the rear wheel off my Spyder and back on correctly.

I did get a tire and wheel warranty, so I’ll be dealing with trying to make a claim, too. Such a headache!

Advice is welcome.
    Last edited by Allen42; 02-26-2024 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)
    2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Bought in Jan 2024. Can-Am states only.

Spyder Garage

I take the wheel with tire still mounted off the Can Am and take it to a local tire sales and repairs place in town. They have the machines to dismount the tire and mount a new one. They prefer that I get the replacement tire and bring it in with me, because they don't normally have the replacement tires for a Can Am in stock. They can balance the wheels too. Usually they charge me $10 per wheel to mount and balance. The little Can Am wheels are no challenge to the place I take them. That tire store works on tractor, payloader, motorgrader, and all kinds of tires.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    I take the wheel with tire still mounted off the Can Am and take it to a local tire sales and repairs place in town. They have the machines to dismount the tire and mount a new one. They prefer that I get the replacement tire and bring it in with me, because they don't normally have the replacement tires for a Can Am in stock. They can balance the wheels too. Usually they charge me $10 per wheel to mount and balance. The little Can Am wheels are no challenge to the place I take them. That tire store works on tractor, payloader, motorgrader, and all kinds of tires.
    I’m not comfortable taking the wheel off myself with the belt and brake and everything. I’m pretty handy, but this is the first thing I’ve owned with less than four wheels, and it still has dealer tags.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42 View Post
    I’m not comfortable taking the wheel off myself with the belt and brake and everything. I’m pretty handy, but this is the first thing I’ve owned with less than four wheels, and it still has dealer tags.
    I advise to call your dealer and ask if they will use Your tire .... some will but some won't .... the ones that won't have a long list of reasons WHY .... they are all BS ..... Also the REAR wheel/tire doesn't need balancing if you are using an AUTO tire that has been recommended on this Forum .... You can always PM me for advice ./... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I advise to call your dealer and ask if they will use Your tire .... some will but some won't .... the ones that won't have a long list of reasons WHY .... they are all BS ..... Also the REAR wheel/tire doesn't need balancing if you are using an AUTO tire that has been recommended on this Forum .... You can always PM me for advice ./... Mike
    It's absolutely correct that you won't see too many dealers named here who will do that ^ , cos BRP tends to get pretty shirty with any dealers who get outed here or elsewhere for fitting anything but OEM spec Kenda's And they've also been known to play hard-ball with some A/mkt tire retailers named for fitting or even just supplying anything but Kendas to Spyders or Rykers!

So if you DO manage to find some place that'll fit anything but OEM Spec Kendas onto your Spyder/Ryker - Please, DO NOT name them here or even post anything that will allow them to be identified/located on the public pages of the Forum, or you might find that while they did it for you once, they never will again after being outed; or worse, they may well no longer be a Can Am dealer next time you need a tire fitted or anything else done!

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-26-2024 at 06:49 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

"I did get a tire and wheel warranty, so I’ll be dealing with trying to make a claim, too. Such a headache!"

Advice is welcome.

If you got the tire/wheel warranty thru your dealer, you're getting a OEM Kenda, no doubt about it. At least try to negotiate a Kanine.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    "If you got the tire/wheel warranty thru your dealer, you're getting a OEM Kenda, no doubt about it. At least try to negotiate a Kanine.
    The warranty is through Riders Advantage, if it matters. And I will try for the Kanine at least.

Spyder Garage

Update: I soaped the screw, it's not leaking, so I unscrewed it. Still no bubbles. The screw shaft is exactly 1/2 inch long below the head. Pics attached. Think I could put some sort of rubber epoxy in there or something to reinforce any damage done to the tire? I'm very afraid of a blowout. I'd estimate it made it about 1/4" past the tread, but maybe actually is into the sidewall?

What do y'all think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I think I'm going to buy this tire repair screw and glue and call it fixed: https://a.co/d/2DqQSOH

Spyder Garage

It seems a lot of area dealers were bought by RideNow (RideNow.com)... You might check with a few and see if they'll honor your warranty and if they will replace with a Kanine...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-26-2024 at 04:15 PM.
    2021 RTL Chalk White (a paler shade of grey, of which there are 50)
    Name: GreyGhost

Spyder Garage

If you removed the screw and it's not leaking, then count yourself lucky and just ride it as is.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Update: I soaped the screw, it's not leaking, so I unscrewed it. Still no bubbles. The screw shaft is exactly 1/2 inch long below the head. Pics attached. Think I could put some sort of rubber epoxy in there or something to reinforce any damage done to the tire? I'm very afraid of a blowout. I'd estimate it made it about 1/4" past the tread, but maybe actually is into the sidewall?

What do y'all think?
    Essentially you have a CAR tire ( even if it's the weak Kenda ) It can be repaired the same as any other CAR tire and will not be dangerous like fixing a TWO wheel Mtc. tire. It is a tubeless tire so a massive Blow-out is not going to happen .... You also are supported by Three wheels ( not two ) .... There are products that are liquid and are used to balance tires/wheels .... some are also designed to PREVENT flats. A product like this may give you " piece of mind " ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone.

Spyder Garage

I think I'm going to buy this tire repair screw and glue and call it fixed: https://a.co/d/2DqQSOH
    Looks viable helps there were no bubbles. Would make note of position to have available if /when getting to dealer.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Personally, I think it's too close to the sidewall to effectively patch or plug. The tire will likely flex a bit too much in that location. As others stated, leave it as is.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Re Tire Replacement
    I use an ATV dealer who sells and maintains Can Am UTV's - they do the whole job per factory. Wheel to wheel. They do HDs too! Small town, factory rates, the real deal!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-26-2024 at 04:14 PM.
    2015 RT SM6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by azprince View Post
    Re Tire Replacement
    I use an ATV dealer who sells and maintains Can Am UTV's - they do the whole job per factory. Wheel to wheel. They do HDs too! Small town, factory rates, the real deal!
    I'm happy for you, but that doesn't really help me, lol.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-26-2024 at 04:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

I'm happy for you, but that doesn't really help me, lol.
    Unless you want to go to Payson with it!! Myself, I found a person who worked in a bike shop but quit and is now working out of his own shop. He has all the gear and does good work! Maybe you could find a custom bike shop around where you live? Good Luck whatever you do.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-26-2024 at 06:10 PM. Reason: dose... + ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl