Spyder Garage

Default Completed my semi annual "lie on my back and add air to the rear tire" routine

The other day I went through this routine to get my 2021 RT ready to ride. With the FOBO2 TPMS caps, and by starting out with a tire pressure a bit higher than what CanAm recommends, I have found that I can possibly go the entire riding season without having to do it again, or if I do, it would only be one more time likely in the Fall. I took my first ride of the season here in northern Illinois with my tires at 21 front and 31 rear and the ride was just fine.

Thanks to those who suggested alternative ways of getting to the back tire valve without lying flat on my back, but I could not seem to make that work. I set up a mechanic's stool behind the rear wheel after getting the Spyder to where the tire valve was most accessible, but just couldn't attach the air pump just by feel, so I was back to being flat on my back again. Since I had to go through this task, I put fresh batteries in all the FOBO2 caps, and that should do it for the year.

FWIW, I had a great 100 mile, 2 hour ride in 63 degree weather. The next day we had snow and 14 degrees, but at least I got to ride in February.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This will solve your problem 100%

JACO FlowPro 2.0 Digital Tire Inflator with Pressure Gauge - 200 PSI

Roll over image to zoom in

71Py+RBKs+L._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/JACO-FlowPro-...7C25C4CQ&psc=1
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

I have a similar gauge. The problem is properly affixing it to the valve stem, and also properly attaching the air pump. When I lie on my back I first attach an extension piece, to which I can then check the tire pressure, add air with my electric pump, then reattach the FOBO2 cap.

I think I need to examine the back wheel layout again and determine where the best position for the valve stem should be that would allow my hands to get to it easily.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Vito1943 you know now that you are going to get 20 or more replies on different ways of how to air up your rear tire. Been doing mine almost the same way you do yours.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Vito1943 you know now that you are going to get 20 or more replies on different ways of how to air up your rear tire. Been doing mine almost the same way you do yours.
    Vito1943.....consider yourself lucky to be able to lay on your back to do it. I’m also a ‘43er and would never be able to get back up without some serious assistance.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

At next tyre change, have a 2" valve stem fitted. The extra length is flexible and helps when checking. Also ensure that the drive pulley is fitted to the wheel in the original (factory fitted) position. It fits into the wheel in 5 positions - only 1 gives easier access to the valve.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

I also have to get on my back to air up the rear tire.
    At 71, I'm still young enough that I don't really have an issue with this.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I guess I'm missing something. I'm 83, a bit over 6'3" and my Spyder has the rear wheel valve stem protruding from the left side of the rear wheel. I move the roadster forward or aft until the valve stem is between 4 and 5 o'clock as I look at the wheel from the left side of the machine. I have two devices in my trunk, an air gauge with a right angle chuck as shown, and a Harley Valve Extension as shown. I kneel on one knee slightly to the left rear of the wheel and check the tire pressure with the gauge. If I need to add air I put the valve extension on the valve stem and add air to 22 or so psi with a bicycle floor pump, intentionally over inflating the tire 2-3 psi. I then remove the valve extension, measure the pressure again with the gauge and bleed it down to my normal riding pressure, 20 psi. Yes, I use two hands, the left to hold the gauge and the right to firmly hold the chuck on the valve stem. At no time during this process is there any need to roll around on the garage floor on my back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've mentioned these items before but I can't seem to locate them, but here goes once more. I have two sets of these items. One set in my frunk and another in my toolbox in my shop. These air tools have the EXACT angles to reach and air up the spyders rear tire easily. And I do just as JayBros does. I over fill and and use the below digital air pressure gauge to bleed off the psi to just what I want. One of the two male plugs will (should) fit about any air hose while out away from home and you need air. Oh yes, if you have to lay on your back, take a small blue tarp along with you.

https://www.harborfreight.com/extend...CABEgLhYvD_BwE

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-...lug-63562.html
    https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-...lug-63561.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=digi...03974426104951

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    This will solve your problem 100%

Roll over image to zoom in

71Py+RBKs+L._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/JACO-FlowPro-...7C25C4CQ&psc=1
    How long have you had this, been thinking I need one?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

After a lot of consideration, This is what I use now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BWYH6C31...roduct_details

Yes I still have to lay down to get to the tire valve, but it's easy to connect and just let it do it's thing. I also like the way it's portable, so I can bring it with me.
    2022 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm 91, and I'm telling you, it ain't easy doing the 'lay down' method to check the air pressure. Jus sayin', anyone here that says it's an easy job, is not 91.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    How long have you had this, been thinking I need one?

Toatally agree with old Timer. The best "farkle" I have ever bought. Have had mine for over a year, and it works well for me. The head has a clip on for the valve stem, and the air compressor hose hooks up to the bottom of the handle. You can also bleed air by slightly squeezing the "trigger" if you put too much air in. Buy one, you won't be sorry.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    The other day I went through this routine to get my 2021 RT ready to ride. With the FOBO2 TPMS caps, and by starting out with a tire pressure a bit higher than what CanAm recommends, I have found that I can possibly go the entire riding season without having to do it again, or if I do, it would only be one more time likely in the Fall. I took my first ride of the season here in northern Illinois with my tires at 21 front and 31 rear and the ride was just fine.

Thanks to those who suggested alternative ways of getting to the back tire valve without lying flat on my back, but I could not seem to make that work. I set up a mechanic's stool behind the rear wheel after getting the Spyder to where the tire valve was most accessible, but just couldn't attach the air pump just by feel, so I was back to being flat on my back again. Since I had to go through this task, I put fresh batteries in all the FOBO2 caps, and that should do it for the year.

FWIW, I had a great 100 mile, 2 hour ride in 63 degree weather. The next day we had snow and 14 degrees, but at least I got to ride in February.
    Frankly, I don't get the "lying on your back while checking/adding air to the rear tire" thing.

If you have the right gauge/inflator, and it the rear tire is positioned correctly, the worse you can do is kneel. Add a folded towel for padding and boom, there you have it.

The new RTs must have a totally different valve stem than the older RTs (which I have), because it's not necessary for me to "lie on my back" ........ nor do I want to, LOL.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

The JACO push on hose is great too.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-26-2024 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Removed Post title - they only mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    Frankly, I don't get the "lying on your back while checking/adding air to the rear tire" thing.

If you have the right gauge/inflator, and it the rear tire is positioned correctly, the worse you can do is kneel. Add a folded towel for padding and boom, there you have it.

The new RTs must have a totally different valve stem than the older RTs (which I have), because it's not necessary for me to "lie on my back" ........ nor do I want to, LOL.
    I have two metal knees, and kneeling isn't one of my most favorite things to do!!! I either go onto my side or back when I have to get down that low!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-26-2024 at 06:16 PM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

With bad arthritis, which is why I bought the Spyder in the first place, getting down on the ground is for me the easiest way to connect the inflating device no matter which type I use. I do use a nice piece of off cut carpet to lie on nowadays.

The entertaining and somewhat painful bit is getting up again. I'm seriously thinking of a lift system, but it's a lot of money just for the few occasions I'm stuck on the garage floor until my wife wonders where I am and comes to laugh, sorry, help.

As my dealer is only 3 miles away, I was going to suggest they sell an annual service of "inflating rear tires on a Spyder" for "those people to old or decrepit to do it themselves." Costco does it for my car for free.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver