Spyder Garage

Default Anyone else have this RT-L whine noise issue? Any advice?

I bought a 2020 RTL with only 250 miles on it since new. Owner bought it and became ill and couldn't ride it. Today was the first time the weather was nice enough to ride in Iowa. I noticed a lot of whine noise while riding and am curious if anyone else has had this issue. Could it be the oil is too old? Belt alignment seems to be okay. I checked the tire pressures before the ride and brought them all up to specs so that is not it. Would appreciate some advice.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2024 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Spyder Garage

If I haven't said so already, congrats on your 'New to You' almost new/unridden Spyder!

As for your noise problem, many 2020-ish Spyder owners reported a serious 'whine or wind noise' issue with their machines, apparently coming from down around the front sprocket area; so there's quite a few threads here on the Forum asking about the problem and discussing the 'fix', all just waiting to be found if you do a little searching and reading.

Briefly, after a whole LOT of complaints and much deliberation on BRP's part, they decided this noise was due to the front sprocket and 'the fix' required the installation of a replacement front sprocket, but IIRC it was only made available to those who complained, at least initially. This replacement sprocket was a white ceramic coated sprocket. Only it didn't seem to work in reducing the noise for everyone complaining; and then before this noise issue was ever completely resolved to everyone's satisfaction, it was overtaken by the 'Failing front sprocket' issue that rapidly became a very widespread concern, with a subsequent recall that also ended up requiring a front sprocket replacement, only this time it was a shiny silver sprocket. Again, lots of threads, hundreds of posts, all available for you to check out after a bit of searching.

Here's a start on that searching/reading:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...?129857-129857

So I'd think that either way, your RT is probably going to need a front sprocket replacement! And because your 'new to you' Spyder has done do few miles and such a lot of sitting, neither of which is good for it, you should also consider replacing all the fluids and filters, and very carefully checking the tires for age/sitting damage too! However, it might be a good idea to start out by going to BRP's website or your nearest dealer and checking the service history via your VIN - that should also reveal any outstanding recalls or updates required, and you juuust might be lucky enough to be pleasantly surprised?! No guarantees, but you'll never know unless you ask!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2024 at 02:12 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I can't recall what color the sprocket is that the dealer put on to resolve the faulty sprocket that made the noise you're talking about, but it has resolved the issue for me. Plus, I had them add a belt tensioner as mine did not come equipped with one.

Hope that helps.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Personally, I'd ride it w/o any other adjustments. At this late date there is likely no extended warranty from the previous owner.... the recall if needed could be researched. I can't remember if there's a 500-600 mile initial oil change indicated in the break-in period. Being a new to you model-you'll hear a lot of noises. Both Iowa and Nebraska have Facebook Spyder Riders groups for information as well... you might be able to have a local member take a listen.

These are kinda pricey maintenance machines...250-400 for an oil change at that the dealer...many of us DIY to save a few $. If you DIY, I'd suggest switching out the two drain plugs for a better bolt head - check Lamonster's for these. Rotella T6 15W40 and filters from Lamonster or Baja Ron. You will enjoy it more if you can become acquainted with its operation etc. The sprocket scare is a bit unnerving but should be covered. Check out Do's and Do Nots thread/sticky on this forum.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2024 at 06:11 PM.
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

You can also look up your VIN at the NHTSA site. It will tell you if the recall was done on your Spyder or not.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/campaign/safer...ercar-sitewide

Dealers are obligated to replace the front sprocket because of the recall. But don't let them do the "Interim Fix", which is just a visual inspection and/or tightening of the sprocket bolt.
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 02-21-2024 at 09:37 AM.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

There is no sprocket recall for the 2020 plus models, only the older models.

They did come out with a white model to address the noise issue, but it is not a recall item.
    Is the white one still available?
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I have a 2020 RTL that only made the whining noise after it was pointed out to me! After that, I could not unhear it. I replaced the front pulley with the white one, and have been noise free ever since. To be more specific, the noise was most notable at about 40-45 mph.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue 2020 RT with 250 miles on it when I got it in Dec 22, and it would make the whine noise at about 40-45 mph in 5th and 6th gear. I changed the oil at 1k miles to Amsoil 10W40 and it went away. I did take it back to the dealer shortly after I got it, and they said it was because I came from an '09 RS. Needless to say, I never went back to them!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-22-2024 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    Improvise, Adapt, Overcome, Semper Fi
    2020 RT
    Limited heated seats
    removable back rest & rack
    XK Glow light
    Paint with light painted panels
    (Gone but not forgotten ) 2009 RS SE5
    2020 RT , Chalk White