Spyder Garage

Default BRP Abandons New Zealand Regional On Road Customers

So popped into my local Can Am dealership today to see about the fuel pump recall only to be told they won't be able to help. Apparently BRP have decided not to support their on-road dealer network outside of our three main centres.

On to the blower and got a hold of their customer care centre in Finland (who knew nothing about it) but kindly agreed to forward an official complaint to BRP head office. No doubt they will be getting a few more... in fact, the more the merrier - 0800 470 020 for any other Ryker or Spyder owners/suckers in NZ who would like to jump on the bandwagon.

They said I should hear something back from them but am not expecting anything remotely resembling a solution.... someone at BRP HQ probably thinks this is a great idea! Meanwhile, I will be spreading this like covid over as much of the internet as I'm able.... if it costs them even a single sale my job will be done!!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-18-2024 at 10:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

Where are the three main centers?
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Where are the three main centers?
    Auckland Wellington Christchurch.

From what I was told by a dealer, BRP required them to stock their full range of on road vehicles on their showroom floors. Many could not afford it especially as they don't sell. They were happy to keep servicing for existing customers but BRP cancelled their service contracts at the last minute, leaving customers high and dry. All of them however still operate Can am off road sales and servicing. It's ridiculous.
    Last edited by nightfalcon; 02-19-2024 at 01:01 AM.

Spyder Garage

Similar here only my dealer went out of business out of incompetence. The next closest bike shop turned down the offer of on-road stuff citing dismal sales, expensive staff training and tool acquisition, and only took on off-road sales. Another much bigger outlet 100 km's away took on the on-road sales, so we're ok for now.
    What we are seeing are early days of a global monetary system in meltdown (checked your supermarket docket lately) which takes out the small, weak, unprepared, and unconnected first. Low volume high-cost luxury items like Spyders etc. are the first to suffer.
    BRP aren't the top of the food chain the blame lies elsewhere.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-19-2024 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Same happened here I with my Spyder and my wife's Ryker, the dealer refused the demands of BRP.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-19-2024 at 07:36 AM.
    2019 Can Am Spyder F3S
    ICSI Ride Hand Brake Kit as my right leg and foot does not work that well due to MS
    The Ultimate F3 Floorboard
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Shad Saddle Bags
    Lamonster F3 PACKRACK
    SHAD 58X in Carbon finish - Expandable TOP Case
    Pedal Box
    IPS Belt Tensioner and Handlebar Riser from Lamonster
    K&N air filter
    INNOVV K5
    Wilbers Nite Line Shocks
    RLS Cat Delete
    Floating Rotors with EBC Brakes for the front
    I am now broke

I Should mention the Boss has a 900 Ryker Ralli next to my bike
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Similar here only my dealer went out of business out of incompetence. The next closest bike shop turned down the offer of on-road stuff citing dismal sales, expensive staff training and tool acquisition, and only took on off-road sales. Another much bigger outlet 100 km's away took on the on-road sales, so we're ok for now.
    What we are seeing are early days of a global monetary system in meltdown (checked your supermarket docket lately) which takes out the small, weak, unprepared, and unconnected first. Low volume high-cost luxury items like Spyders etc. are the first to suffer.
    BRP aren't the top of the food chain the blame lies elsewhere.
    I don't buy the on-road v off-road business models... it's all owned by BRP. They could easily allow them to service the vehicles, more so in the case of factory safety recalls, where they are responsible for the failure. This is simply BRP being spiteful to insubordinate dealers, plain and simple.

Interestingly, under NZ Law the dealer has sold me a defective product that is not fit for purpose (due to the safety notice). Under those conditions they are obliged to repair, replace, or refund the purchase price. I have a contract with them, it is their responsibility to take up damages claims with BRP under the terms of their Dealer contract. My only recourse to BRP is if the dealer goes bust.

It isn't just about the recall; under the terms of my warranty, servicing has to be carried out by an authorised dealer. I'm happy enough doing the odd oil and filter change, but I don't have the skills or access to all the tools, diagnostics, or software to service it at home.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-19-2024 at 07:45 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default The Demise of BRP On road in New Zealand.

And probably coming to your town soon.

The Demise of BRP On road.

Seems BRP On Road Directors have decreed every service center in New Zealand is to have one of every model in stock for sale under BRP's new house rules...

If they didn’t want the stock they are banned from offering service for all other BRP On-road stuff and won’t be supplied parts when required.

So that leaves about 4 dealer/service centres in the country.
    The rest told them to go fish. Dozens of them. They also sell Off Road and the Seadoo things.

I suck my teeth but I can see where they come from. Its just wrong.

So that leaves 1 Authorized dealer / Service Center in the South Island..........and 3 in the North.
    They are days travel apart.

So if you need a service its several day’s travel and overnight accommodation - minimum.

It gets worse.
    Folk who have recently bought new rides have been told they can no longer take their ride to where they bought it for service, recalls and stuff.

Polite Forum Comment - 1 line.

Pretty disappointed and cant type what I really would like to say as Peter would edit the guts out of it.

So I better leave it there for now.

So you lot.... a heads up on what may occur in your town soon.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

TALK ABOUT GRRRRR

I also posted a thread about this in the general 1st up after a brew this morning...

The Demise of BRP On road in New Zealand. And probably coming to your town soon.

Seems like some have already had a visit from BRP - Hatchet Man reading the above comments.

Totally sucks how they throw new to BRP Owners out with the trash and replaced it with arrogance.

Reminds me of a new replacement Boss I once had.
    This is what I want - so this is what you do. No matter how wrong it was.
    Got to work one morning and read the latest commands..
    I walked in to his office and told him to go, well you know.. himself...
    No notice....stick it. See ya later .

Walked out of there as I had Integrity.

Cant type what I really want to type as Peter would have to delete almost of it.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

BRP Customer support got back to me this morning.... They listed 5 dealers near me that could service my bike...great....except they were the very ones they closed down. The phone number they also provided for further contact was discontinued. BRP Company Care not customer care in action.....the right wheel not in sync with the left, but that's a story for Ryker thread ah @greer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nightfalcon View Post
    I don't buy the on-road v off-road business models... it's all owned by BRP. They could easily allow them to service the vehicles, more so in the case of factory safety recalls, where they are responsible for the failure. This is simply BRP being spiteful to insubordinate dealers, plain and simple.

Interestingly, under NZ Law the dealer has sold me a defective product that is not fit for purpose (due to the safety notice). Under those conditions they are obliged to repair, replace, or refund the purchase price. I have a contract with them, it is their responsibility to take up damages claims with BRP under the terms of their Dealer contract. My only recourse to BRP is if the dealer goes bust.

It isn't just about the recall; under the terms of my warranty, servicing has to be carried out by an authorised dealer. I'm happy enough doing the odd oil and filter change, but I don't have the skills or access to all the tools, diagnostics, or software to service it at home.
    I get your frustration, but from BRP's point of view they have obligations to shareholders that would want answers as to why a losing situation was allowed to continue with an economic meltdown in progress. Any legal implications arising from their actions would be less costly to them than no action. Consumers have rights but you're only going to be able to call on them if the company still exists and the judiciary is not compromised.

It's not going to be pretty, think covid shortages and prepare accordingly is my plan.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

It is not a question of economic downturn. Every one of the dealers is still in business selling Can Am off-road vehicles. Can Am on-road used the connections they had through Can Am off-road to convince their dealer network to sell on-road vehicles some years ago. Then once the dealers had purchased/invested in the tools, trained their staff, and bought the diagnostic software to service them, Can Am on-road attempted to up their sales volumes by forcing them to purchase more stock; then when they couldn't, they simply dropped them, leaving their customers up the creek.

A business decision you say? Perhaps, but it's clearly an immoral one. ... and I'm not alone. This from BRP CEO on their website.

Untitled.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-20-2024 at 12:10 AM.

Spyder Garage

It is not a question of economic downturn. Every one of the dealers is still in business selling Can Am off-road vehicles. Can Am on-road used the connections they had through Can Am off-road to convince their dealer network to sell on-road vehicles some years ago. Then once the dealers had purchased/invested in the tools, trained their staff, and bought the diagnostic software to service them, Can Am on-road attempted to up their sales volumes by forcing them to purchase more stock; then when they couldn't, they simply dropped them, leaving their customers up the creek.

A business decision you say? Perhaps, but it's clearly an immoral one. ... and I'm not alone. This from BRP CEO on their website.

Untitled.jpg
    Yep, and when inflation induced price rises cut sales of unnecessary Spyders (they are a disposable income item) and make SxS's a cheaper and safer farm utility vehicle that is a tax-deductible item, BRP will follow the trend. We are emotional beings, corporations are bottom line focused entities governed by one thing. When we get in bed with them, we know full well they might sneak out early when they find the wallet is empty.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-20-2024 at 12:11 AM.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Yep and when inflation induced price rises cut sales of unecessary Spyders(they are a disposable income item) and make SxS's a cheaper and safer farm utility vehicle that is a tax deductable item BRP follow the trend.We are emotional beings, corporations are bottom line focused entities governed by one thing.When we get in bed with them we know full well they might sneak out early when they find the wallet is empty.
    All commendable observations however in todays connected world Corporations can and MUST be held to account for their business decisions, particularly when they claim the moral high ground.

I have been in touch with several people from BRP and discussions are ongoing, I'm ever the optimist so hope a successful resolution and common sense result can prevail...unlikely as it may appear at present....but I will keep trying....there are already a number of Kiwi BRP owners onboard with things.

Spyder Garage

All commendable observations however in todays connected world Corporations can and MUST be held to account for their business decisions, particularly when they claim the moral high ground.

I have been in touch with several people from BRP and discussions are ongoing, I'm ever the optimist so hope a successful resolution and common sense result can prevail...unlikely as it may appear at present....but I will keep trying....there are already a number of Kiwi BRP owners onboard with things.
    I like your spirit and wish you luck. What about a show of hands on here for your proposal that you can direct the big wigs to. Don't know if that breaches rules here or whether the forum would mysteriously blow up if you poked the bear.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-19-2024 at 11:46 PM.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

Yes, it is this gradual dumbing down of BRP customer service for apparently pig headed reasons that is driving the nail deeper into the Spyder coffin for me. BRP shut down my nearest dealer 2 years ago (2 hours away), because they wouldn’t stock the complete BRP range (and I don’t blame the dealer, as Spyders weren’t selling). They also had their CanAm service/repair accreditation removed.

I now have a 5 hour ride to my nearest good Spyder wrench (he is BRP authorised, but not a CanAm dealer). While I enjoy that, and other, long rides, it worries me that a serious failure of some kind while I am a long way from home will leave me many hours away from a dealer. It’s just not a “back of the mind” thought that I need any more. I can’t see myself buying another Spyder, and am seriously considering selling my RT. (I have also lost some interest in riding, which is certainly contributing to my current thoughts )

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Just before I exited from Alaska to Arkansas; BRP did the same with the only dealer in Alaska. I am talking about 2019. They told him he had to buy a minimum of 10 Rykers at a time. That was his stopping point. I was one of his best customers. I purchased 5 Spyders from him between 2008 and 2019. I also purchased three Kawi motorcycles from him during the same period. Two of the three were big tickets. 2000cc Vulcan and Kawi Voyager.

He quit carrying spyders the year I left AK. I do not know the current situation there now. He was also considered the biggest Ski Doo dealer in the country at the time.

I keep waiting for the big announcement every year. Hope it never comes though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

i love my 23 rtl but I'm just waiting for Honda to produce one and NOT that hybrid thing they been bouncing around for years....