Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Maybe you could explain your reason to start this worthless thread? At least in America we know Kenda tires are subpar. Maybe driving on the left side of the road compensates for the short comings of the Kenda tires.
    Just a small correction there if I may... We also drive on the right-hand side of the road, but only when we're heading home.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2024 at 08:20 PM.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Just a small correction there if I may... We also drive on the right-hand side of the road, but only when we're heading home.
    I drove of the other "right" side of the road for 11 months in Thailand summer of 1966 to summer of 1967. We had this US Coast Guard 5 ton truck, a Int Travelall, and a Int 6 pack pickup all with right hand drive, at a Loran C radio navigation station where I was a construction crew member/first year crew member. Second picture is one I took from the top on the 625' tower. I climbed the tower "hot" during the turn up period. Transmitter was taken down for a couple minutes to mount and again to dismount the tower.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 02-21-2024 at 09:43 PM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I drove of the other "right" side of the road for 11 months in Thailand summer of 1966 to summer of 1967. We had this US Coast Guard 5 ton truck, a Int Travelall, and a Int 6 pack pickup all with right hand drive, at a Loran C radio navigation station where I was a construction crew member/first year crew member. Second picture is one I took from the top on the 625' tower. I climbed the tower "hot" during the turn up period. Transmitter was taken down for a couple minutes to mount and again to dismount the tower.
    How the hell do you do that, if I look through binoculars backwards I get dizzy!
    We get a lot of Yankee tourists here that just can't adapt so they reverse everywhere. You hear em valve bouncing from miles away.
    Man-driving-in-reverse_2.jpg
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bro Snoking1127, Huevos Grande.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This thread has gone totally off the rails ..... maybe it should be Closed .... JMHO ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This thread has gone totally off the rails ..... maybe it should be Closed .... JMHO ....Mike
    I'm not sure it was ever on the rails!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I'm still waiting for answers to the detrimental effects of heavier tyres.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

I'm still waiting for answers to the detrimental effects of heavier tyres.
    You assume that car tires are heavier because they are better made. But using stronger material does not necessarily mean a heavier tire.

I just weighed the tires in our shop. Here is what I got.

OEM Kenda 255/50/15 - 21.5 lbs.
    General Altimax 215/60/15 - 20.0 lbs.

OEM Kenda 165/55/15 - 16.0 lbs.
    Vredestein 165/60/15 - 13.5 lbs.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-22-2024 at 05:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

I bought my first Spyder RT new in the summer of 2021. Right now I have just under 12,000 miles on the OEM Kenda tires. The front tires look like new. The rear tire does not look like new, but the tire looks fine and has a reasonable amount of tread. I can't say that I am unhappy with the Kendas at all. I need to schedule the RT for an oil change, so I might consider new tires at that time.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You assume that car tires are heavier because they are better made. But using stronger material does not necessarily mean a heavier tire.

Kenda 255/50/15 - 21.5 lbs.

Kenda 165/55/15 - 16.0 lbs.
    All new I presume?
    So the lower pressures needed to get car tyres up to temp are purely from the overly stiff sidewalls?
    The longer wear times are from harder compound rubber at the expence of traction?
    The tread patterns don't matter in the wet if it's a heavier car v Spyder?
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

All new I presume?
    So the lower pressures needed to get car tyres up to temp are purely from the overly stiff sidewalls?
    The longer wear times are from harder compound rubber at the expence of traction?
    Actually, the OEM Kenda's had some wear, but not much. The others were brand new. Just got them in yesterday.

Longer wearing tread compound can translate into less traction. Especially in the wet. But we've found that some tires will give as good or better wet traction than the Kenda's. Tread pattern and rubber compound can definitely make a difference. And, as you point out, this is exaggerated with the lighter Spyder. This is why we don't recommend just throwing any tire that meets the size requirement on a Spyder. That can definitely be less than ideal.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-22-2024 at 05:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

All new I presume?
    Go bury your dog bone and have a beer.

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Go bury your dog bone and have a beer.

Snoking, "Please, DON'T POKE the Bear!"
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    Snoking, "Please, DON'T POKE the Bear!"
    Looks and sounds like a bulldog to me!

Spyder Garage

Actually, the OEM Kenda's had some wear, but not much. The others were brand new. Just got them in yesterday.

Longer wearing tread compound can translate into less traction. Especially in the wet. But we've found that some tires will give as good or better wet traction than the Kenda's. Tread pattern and rubber compound can definitely make a difference. And, as you point out, this is exaggerated with the lighter Spyder. This is why we don't recommend just throwing any tire that meets the size requirement on a Spyder. That can definitely be less than ideal.
    Just weighed a new set of Kanines I have waiting to be fitted to wife's bike for everyone's info. Fronts are 13.9lb each rear 21.6lb. So same amount of material as a car tyre. No skimping there then.
    Reason I'm sticking to my guns on this is yeah, sure, we get a few complaints here about the Kendas, I get that, but for every complaint there must be thousands of happy campers with no gripes. I get the quality control might have been hit and miss and may still be, but if you get a bad one take it back and ask for another, same as with anything.
    But I'll die if I use them.... Compare the odds to eating bacon.
    My experience with the stock Kendas has been nothing but positive with dry grip and braking (my favorite part about them) awesome - Something I found that was severely lacking with a rear car tyre that was recommended by Australian riders and I put that down to the overly hard compound that simply doesn't suit Spyders. Don't believe everything you read is the lesson there.
    I don't know what the UTQG rating is for Kendas but it would be an interesting comparison to car tyres that are being used.
    As for the actual materials used in the Kendas v car tyres show me the side by side comparison or it's just guessing it's different.
    Finally, I would still rather those deep unused strips of rubber on the rear when I'm down to the wear bars than a shallower tread depth car tyre that's seen too many seasons cause it won't wear out, has hardened up even further, and is only serving the purpose of saving money v providing grip, real grip!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-23-2024 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

OEM Kenda 255/50/15 - 21.5 lbs.

OEM Kenda 165/55/15 - 16.0 lbs.
    I'm surprised by the 2.5# difference on the front tires.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I'm surprised by the 2.5# difference on the front tires.
    I was as well. So I weighed them twice to be sure.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-24-2024 at 07:13 PM. Reason: t

Spyder Garage

What's the point of this discussion? We choose the products we like for whatever reasons. If Kendas light your fire, enjoy. But why try to convince the rest of us to agree with whatever 'logic' you dream up.

Personally, I switched out the Kendas very soon after finding they didn't handle well with my style of riding. You do you and please stop 'selling'.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Pretty sure kenda designed the tire by brp specs and needs. Thats why you can't find a specific replacement.kenda QC is another conversation.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just weighed a new set of Kanines I have waiting to be fitted to wife's bike for everyone's info. Fronts are 13.9lb each rear 21.6lb. So same amount of material as a car tyre. No skimping there then.
    Reason I'm sticking to my guns on this is yeah, sure, we get a few complaints here about the Kendas, I get that, but for every complaint there must be thousands of happy campers with no gripes. I get the quality control might have been hit and miss and may still be, but if you get a bad one take it back and ask for another, same as with anything.
    But I'll die if I use them.... Compare the odds to eating bacon.
    My experience with the stock Kendas has been nothing but positive with dry grip and braking (my favorite part about them) awesome - Something I found that was severely lacking with a rear car tyre that was recommended by Australian riders and I put that down to the overly hard compound that simply doesn't suit Spyders. Don't believe everything you read is the lesson there.
    I don't know what the UTQG rating is for Kendas but it would be an interesting comparison to car tyres that are being used.
    As for the actual materials used in the Kendas v car tyres show me the side by side comparison or it's just guessing it's different.
    Finally, I would still rather those deep unused strips of rubber on the rear when I'm down to the wear bars than a shallower tread depth car tyre that's seen too many seasons cause it won't wear out, has hardened up even further, and is only serving the purpose of saving money v providing grip, real grip!
    " sure, we get a few complaints about Kenda tires " ...... A few ?????? .... There has been NO other tire, that has registered as many complaints by members here - not even close .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " sure, we get a few complaints about Kenda tires " ...... A few ?????? .... There has been NO other tire, that has registered as many complaints by members here - not even close .....Mike
    It's almost a religion here to bash them though Mike, so the numbers of bashers don't reflect the reality. No one posts "I've had zero trouble with anything on my bike", but it is far and away the case. Just makes boring discussion so they don't bother.
    Yes, there's a few with genuine problems, but lots that don't qualify because they've simply replaced tyres because it's the accepted thing to do.
    There's never any follow up with simple checks, like was the balance dot mounted in the correct position, were the balance weights placed correctly from factory, was the wheel alignment confirmed (a big one), did you examine the interior of the tyre at removal or just leave it at the shop for disposal, what was the manufacture date stamp, etc. For such a big perceived problem there's never any follow up reported here, because the majority just seem to follow orders because they heard it on here, toss them out, then say how great the newly fitted and balanced tyres feel.
    Well, it might be boring, but me and every Spyder owner I've had anything to do with have had zero issues with Kendas. Not one puncture, no shakes, no one's thrown away perfectly good tyres, or wished they had tyres that produced miracle mileage.
    You've seen the reaction this thread has produced by the negativity directed at a different outcome as though there's one solution only.
    Last count about 300,000 Kenda shod Spyders have hit the road from new, then add on that many and more probably replaced with same, and you've got half a million uses and yet if there's been 50 genuine "ok it's a money back refund cases" on here over the years you're talking .01% failure rate. Nothing.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-23-2024 at 05:53 PM.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

For any that missed it, give post #14 a read.

And remember, there are three sides to every story.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I would note that my Federal Formoza's were not balanced as Discount Tire did not have a cone that fix the Spyder wheel, AND they ran/run(now back in use) smooth as can be. The OEM Kenda's had a ton of weights on one and about a half ton on the other. Fast forward to my newer Spyder and the original owner had problems with one of OEM Kenda and dealer install two new tires. I bought it and the left front tire was screwed up. Boeing and Kenda have quality control issues.

Spyder Garage

I would note that my Federal Formoza's were not balanced as Discount Tire did not have a cone that fix the Spyder wheel, AND they ran/run(now back in use) smooth as can be. The OEM Kenda's had a ton of weights on one and about a half ton on the other. Fast forward to my newer Spyder and the original owner had problems with one of OEM Kenda and dealer install two new tires. I bought it and the left front tire was screwed up. Boeing and Kenda have quality control issues.
    Did you verify that the factory balance was correct or just assume it was the tyres?
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

Did you verify that the factory balance was correct or just assume it was the tyres?
    I put my set of ‎Centramatic Wheel Balancers on it and watched the rim appearing to run very true, then saw oscillations in the edge of the tread while driving 60-65 mph. Enough proof to me that the tire is screwed up, as the other front tire was running smoothly.

I did my up grades incrementally on the first Spyder:

Sway bar
    Federal Formoza tires
    Shock pre-load adjusters
    Vredestein tires on PPA wheels

Each step was an improvement.

The newer Spyder came with Elka shocks. After replacing the 2013 RS blade wheels and Kenda tires with the OEM chrome wheels from the other Spyder that have the Federal Formoza's it was running smoothly on the road. I then installed the Bajaron sway bar and switch the PPA wheels and Vredestein tires onto it as pictured in sig line, and it is a beast in the twisties. It drives absolutely straight and true on the freeway now, and it does not get pushed around by semi-truck wakes. I am a cruise control rider that just rests my hands on the handlebars, and this machine is a dream to drive the way it is setup.

So that is how they will remain for now. The Asphalt Grey one will be my winter ride in Arizona, and I will fly back from Washington and ride the Champagne one to Washington as my summer ride. The KRX will commute with me back and forth. Photo is at Wells, Nv last spring heading North, and about halfway on the 1488 mile commute.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-24-2024 at 04:09 PM.