Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Do we owe Kenda an apology?

I'm entertaining a new theory (hey I'm a contrarian) that the wearing in the centre of the rear tyre is a design feature inserted by Kenda engineers. It's there to prevent aquaplaning on a worn tyre. The fact that the fronts have a totally different wear pattern yet are the same build quality are the proof.
    Prove me wrong.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Confused lil bit as thought the kenda complaints We’re mostly bout poor side wall support & low mileages -not tread wear patterns (& tread wear patterns averted for those that rotated tires)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    I'm entertaining a new theory (hey I'm a contrarian) that the wearing in the centre of the rear tyre is a design feature inserted by Kenda engineers. It's there to prevent aquaplaning on a worn tyre. The fact that the fronts have a totally different wear pattern yet are the same build quality are the proof.
    Prove me wrong.
    Prove you are right…….
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Prove you are right…….

His sig line says "Registered crackpot"! In 2005 Kenda give me $110 x 5 to take off and have destroyed the Klever LT tires that came OEM on a 5th wheel trailer we bought. That is about the only good thing I have to say about them.
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 02-18-2024 at 11:20 PM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Confused lil bit as thought the kenda complaints We’re mostly bout poor side wall support & low mileages -not tread wear patterns (& tread wear patterns averted for those that rotated tires)

Probably second to the rear complaints but if you were a built for purpose front with about a 95% chance from factory of being forced into misalignment you'd have some strange wear patterns too I would suggest.
    Mileage wise I think they have it spot on if you care about any sort of dry cornering grip but if all you want is not to have to pay for that grip and don't need it then by all means select something with a harder compound.
    How much sidewall do you need, are they built for load carrying,comfort, sport riding, two up, solo,fast, slow,hot, cold,on road, gravel.How anyone can point blank say the sidewalls aren't correct and the best alternative is something overengineered for the job doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Why don't the fronts wear a bald patch in the centre if the sidewalls are inadequate same as the rear?
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Prove me wrong.
    IMHO this is ridiculous ...... both the front and the rear tires have the same construction ..... the difference in the wear issues are because the REAR tires are 225 width and the fronts are 160 (?) width. .... the weak construction allows the Wider rear tire to balloon at about 40+. The front will also balloon but at a much, much higher speed, like 100 + mph ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-19-2024 at 01:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

Probably second to the rear complaints but if you were a built for purpose front with about a 95% chance from factory of being forced into misalignment you'd have some strange wear patterns too I would suggest.
    Mileage wise I think they have it spot on if you care about any sort of dry cornering grip but if all you want is not to have to pay for that grip and don't need it then by all means select something with a harder compound.
    How much sidewall do you need, are they built for load carrying,comfort, sport riding, two up, solo,fast, slow,hot, cold,on road, gravel.How anyone can point blank say the sidewalls aren't correct and the best alternative is something overengineered for the job doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Why don't the fronts wear a bald patch in the centre if the sidewalls are inadequate same as the rear?
    Read my post # 6 ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO this is ridiculous ...... both the front and the rear tires have the same construction ..... the difference in the wear issues are because the REAR tires are 225 width and the fronts are 160 (?) width. .... the weak construction allows the Wider rear tire to balloon at about 40+. The front will also balloon but at a much, much higher speed, like 100 + mph ..... Mike
    Yes but is it designed into the rear tyre as a unique safety feature exclusive to Spyders that under normal circumstances could be dismissed as weak construction?
    Which is safer in the wet a worn Kenda with deep intact tread on the edges or a similarly worn car tyre with less tread depth.Think nanny tyre and my theory makes more sense.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

Or maybe it is all this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Prove me wrong.
    You may be on to something here. The engineers may have made their Kenda tires lumpy and out of round to give the rider an off road experience without having to leave the pavement! Genius!

KendaTires.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-19-2024 at 02:20 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

... It's there to prevent aquaplaning on a worn tyre. The fact that the fronts have a totally different wear pattern yet are the same build quality are the proof.
    Prove me wrong.
    I believe there may be an error in your physics. One can hydroplane a brand new General Altimax RT 43, one of the better rear car tires some of us have used with great success. How, too much water on the road for the tread to dispurse the fluid. With a bald center rear tire there is zero tread to dispurse any water and hydroplaning can become instantaneous. Way back in the mid-nineteen seventies that was the determination of a VA state trooper who investigated the accident caused by a driver in a tuna boat-size sedan with four bald tires who slid across a four lane highway in a heavy rain shower and nearly wiped out me and all my family. The trooper knew his physics.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I believe there may be an error in your physics. One can hydroplane a brand new General Altimax RT 43, one of the better rear car tires some of us have used with great success. How, too much water on the road for the tread to dispurse the fluid. With a bald center rear tire there is zero tread to dispurse any water and hydroplaning can become instantaneous. Way back in the mid-nineteen seventies that was the determination of a VA state trooper who investigated the accident caused by a driver in a tuna boat-size sedan with four bald tires who slid across a four lane highway in a heavy rain shower and nearly wiped out me and all my family. The trooper knew his physics.
    You are spot on ..... and that Trooper more likely had some additional " accident investigation training " In my LEO days I was the go-to guy for " Death Resulting " accidents, because My Dept. had invested in getting me lots of specialized training. ....Which I gladly share here on this Forum .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Do we owe Kenda an apology?

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Interesting read here.

The title of the thread: Do We Owe Kenda an Apology.

Not me! I am still one of the very few that have a lot of Spyder experience and miles with Kenda. I have NEVER said anything disparaging about them in my 16 years of Spyder ownership which ended in Oct 2023. I owned 7 Spyders over the 16 year period.

I used non-Kenda tires once. In 2019 I bought new Federals from ??????. I never got to see how good they were in comparison to the OEM Kendas that I replaced. This was on the 2014 which came with the "softer" Kendas. Most of you got 4K to 6K miles on the rears. I got 9K on mine. The Federals had about 5K on them when I traded it off.

I put K-9s on one other bike It had less than 10K on the tires when traded off. No signs of wear whatsoever.

My experience over 7 Spyders with OEM Kendas was consistantly 13K to 15K on the rear tires. I believed in 26# (2 # less than recommended) to compensate for the mid tread wearout do to ballooning. My fronts always got 20K miles.

Granted, there are much better tires out there to be had. I could not replace my own and needed a trusted dealer to put the tires (especially the rear) on for me. When you mess will drive belts etc. you need to know what you are doing. I was at the mercy of the "dealers."

So that's my .02 from an old crackpot Spyder owner who lives in the hills and hollers of Arkansas. I don't have a punkin truck though. And I won't be buying any more Kendas.

It has been good to spar with some of you on this subject over the years though.

Be nice now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Your post gives rise to another point I was going to put out there. When swapping to heavier tyres, how much effect % wise are the unsprung weight increases having on suspension and steering performance? Are people unwittingly compromising more important areas than they are aware?
    Also, how much sensitivity/feel/traction is being lost by mounting a less forgiving carcass that won't conform to road deviations as well as a Kenda as shown in BajaRons flexibility index diagram.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-19-2024 at 07:15 PM.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

Your post gives rise to another point I was going to put out there. When swapping to heavier tyres, how much effect % wise are the unsprung weight increases having on suspension and steering performance? Are people unwittingly compromising more important areas than they are aware?
    Also, how much sensitivity/feel/traction is being lost by mounting a less forgiving carcass that won't conform to road deviations as well as a Kenda as shown in BajaRons flexibility index diagram.
    If you are indicting His post # 10 above .... that DIAGRAM has nothing to do with FLEXIBILITY .... I suggest you PM Ron for His meaning on that ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-19-2024 at 10:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you are indicting His post # 10 above .... that DIAGRAM has nothing to do with FLEXIBILITY .... I suggest you PM Ron for His meaning on that ..... Mike
    No need Mike, he said genius I'm typing the apology.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-01-2024 at 07:05 PM. Reason: ' 's after sentences & words ;-)
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

We had a guy on RV.net that defended crappy ST (special trailer) tires for years as they failed and damaged trailers. Towards the end he admitted that he had 22 failures of trailer tires. We thought maybe we was paid to be on the internet spreading the goodness of ST tires.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You may be on to something here. The engineers may have made their Kenda tires lumpy and out of round to give the rider an off road experience without having to leave the pavement! Genius!

KendaTires.jpg
    Bahahaha!
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

On the recent new to me 2018 RTL which had 8240 miles on the clock when I bought it, I found that it had a vibration at highway speed, so I moved the my Centramatic balancers from the front of my other Spyder to the new one. Out of the highway I could see the left front Kenda not running true and still causing a vibration in the trike. The rim appeared to be running true, so the issue was the tire. So I put the PPA wheels and Vredestein Quatrac SL on it and it VERY smooth on the road now. The Champagne one got it's original wheels with Federal Formoza tires re-installed.

AT 1,249 miles the Elka shocks and 2013 RS blade style wheels were installed(moving the OEM Kendas to the new wheels, and I have the OEM wheels without tires) with 2 oz counteract balance beads in each wheel/tire. And this Spyder got a new set of Kenda tires because of issues at 1,383 miles, as I have all the service records on it. So it appears that Kenda tires have been an issue with this one right off the dealers showroom floor. I probably should call the seller and tell him the vibrations have been solved.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-20-2024 at 09:15 AM. Reason: fibrations... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    On the recent new to me 2018 RTL which had 8240 miles on the clock when I bought it, I found that it had a vibration at highway speed, so I moved the my Centramatic balancers from the front of my other Spyder to the new one. Out of the highway I could see the left front Kenda not running true and still causing a vibration in the trike. The rim appeared to be running true, so the issue was the tire. So I put the PPA wheels and Vredestein Quatrac SL on it and it VERY smooth on the road now. The Champagne one got it's original wheels with Federal Formoza tires re-installed.

AT 1,249 miles the Elka shocks and 2013 RS blade style wheels were installed(moving the OEM Kendas to the new wheels, and I have the OEM wheels without tires) with 2 oz counteract balance beads in each wheel/tire. And this Spyder got a new set of Kenda tires because of issues at 1,383 miles, as I have all the service records on it. So it appears that Kenda tires have been an issue with this one right off the dealers showroom floor. I probably should call the seller and tell him the vibrations have been solved.
    Thanks .... I've said this and so has Peter ..... Kenda tires that can NOT be balanced is not UNUSUAL and the ratio of defective tires produced by Kenda is quite large ..... JMHO ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Bit of an update on the apology I sent to Kenda. Pretty much I've managed to smooth things over with them and all is forgiven (phew! ). Here's the reply................

Deer missa Clackplot, thanking ewe much of the edumucasion eferts to Spy Duh oners. Ewe won of de millyon Owr now cumpeny wif bigggnus. Wee sent ewe tim of lieff suplie Kendas sew ewe now spin biggly dem bernowts If ewer hart kined an ounce munthlee speshall too uther burn boise flee ere inn everly tier. Later dude.

So there you go, I think I got away with it................just, so we probably should back off the negative reports for a while (well at least till I get my tyre bundle).
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-20-2024 at 05:27 PM. Reason: ' 's & spelin ;-)
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

Bit of an update on the apology I sent to Kenda. Pretty much I've managed to smooth things over with them and all is forgiven (phew! ). Here's the reply................

Deer missa Clackplot, thanking ewe much of the edumucasion eferts to Spy Duh oners. Ewe won of de millyon Owr now cumpeny wif bigggnus. Wee sent ewe tim of lieff suplie Kendas sew ewe now spin biggly dem bernowts If ewer hart kined an ounce munthlee speshall too uther burn boise flee ere inn everly tier. Later dude.

So there you go, I think I got away with it................just, so we probably should back off the negative reports for a while (well at least till I get my tyre bundle).
    Thanks for the headache. That translation of Japenese to Aussie puts quite a twist and it took a while for it to come through. One word at a time, no plobrum. Many words.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-21-2024 at 09:58 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Thanks for the headache. That translation of Japenese to Aussie puts quite a twist and it took a while for it to come through. One word at a time, no plobrum. Many words.
    Quite a skill to speak fluent Kendran isn't it.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

Quite a skill to speak fluent Kendran isn't it.
    Maybe you could explain your reason to start this worthless thread? At least in America we know Kenda tires are subpar. Maybe driving on the left side of the road compensates for the short comings of the Kenda tires.