Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question For the Can-Am's running car tires, Are we on the "darkside"?

So I recently joined a group on Facebook called Darkside Riders. I wanted to see what everyone was doing with their tires and made a post about my quatracs on the F3. It's funny the response I got from it.

While in general it had several likes but only a couple of comments which are gems. I thought since we switched from kenda motorcycle tires to car tires that would make all of us Can-Am people Darksiders as well.

Apparently a couple but not many disagree or just don't know we are running motorcycles tires as stock.

What do you think? If we are running car tires are we a darksider or not?

Capt1.JPG
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 02-16-2024 at 04:01 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

No... A darksider is a MC rim with a car tire on it... We have a car rim with a Cheap car tire on it.. It says Special Motorcycle use so no one will use it on a car...
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

I just glanced at the Darksider member rule book and in the Spyder chapter it states that you have to swap over to round motorsickle rubber to be even close to acceptable!
    No exceptions.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-01-2024 at 07:08 PM.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

SO, where do we find some of those? Hey Mike, can you help us out with one of those?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I don't think ANYONE who has any real knowledge of tires & rims, except maybe a full-on BRP Kool Aid drinker, could honestly or seriously call the OEM Kenda tires 'real' Motorcycle Tires, even with the dodgy 'Special Motorcycle Use Only' label on the sidewall They are in every respect a CAR tire, albeit not one of the greatest capability, strength, or quality of construction, but still a CAR tire; and the rims on both Spyders and Rykers are quite clearly and unarguably 'J' Type CAR rims too...

So NO, if you're running auto tires on your Spyder/Ryker, you aren't really a true 'Darksider'!

And to anyone who might value their life and well-being but still think it could be fun to fit a set of real MOTORCYCLE tires onto their Spyder/Ryker rims and go for a ride, I've only got one thing to say to that - DON'T!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I think we are stuck in limbo. Spyder isn't a motorcycle, but isn't a car either
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I can say that I was one of those crazy guys to put a car tire on a motorcycle, my 2006 Triumph Rocket, and I loved it.

[016047].jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-17-2024 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the clarification, as usual I seem to have landed in one of those grey areas that I tend to misinterpret and will promptly remove myself from that group.

Don't want any trouble from any of those darksiders.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RiderDuke View Post
    No... A darksider is a MC rim with a car tire on it... We have a car rim with a Cheap car tire on it.. It says Special Motorcycle use so no one will use it on a car...
    and I have said so many, many times on this Forum ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-17-2024 at 04:56 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Yeah, I don't think ANYONE who has any real knowledge of tires & rims, except maybe a full-on BRP Kool Aid drinker, could honestly or seriously call the OEM Kenda tires 'real' Motorcycle Tires, even with the dodgy 'Special Motorcycle Use Only' label on the sidewall They are in every respect a CAR tire, albeit not one of the greatest capability, strength, or quality of construction, but still a CAR tire; and the rims on both Spyders and Rykers are quite clearly and unarguably 'J' Type CAR rims too...

So NO, if you're running auto tires on your Spyder/Ryker, you aren't really a true 'Darksider'!

And to anyone who might value their life and well-being but still think it could be fun to fit a set of real MOTORCYCLE tires onto their Spyder/Ryker rims and go for a ride, I've only got one thing to say to that - DON'T!!
    As usual 110% ..... even BRP REQUIRES auto type rims / wheels which have a " J " designation by the D.O.T. and they are the folks who decide what evry type rim / wheel has to be ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

“We” are not darksiders. I “was” a darksider.
    Attached Images Attached Images

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, as usual I seem to have landed in one of those grey areas that I tend to misinterpret and will promptly remove myself from that group.

Don't want any trouble from any of those darksiders.
    You'll forfeit your free 6 month balance and front end alignment check!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg R.jpg (110.8 KB, 37 views)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-01-2024 at 07:07 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

A car tire on a motorcycle !!!!
    Maybe they should be called " Suiciders"

Spyder Garage

Well your first problem: FB. Opinion however as a laid back casual ryder can’t say personally have problems with either, kendas did wear rather quickly mileage wise. Otherwise both black, round & fit - lets me ryde.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    You'll forfeit your free 6 month balance and front end alignment check!!!
    I'll have to ask the guys at the dealership why my last alignment wasn't free and try to hold a straight face while doing so.

But in all reality they actually helped out greatly with getting my tire wear problem taking care of on my Quatrac's, I would mention them but I don't want BRP to come down on them.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I have 5 car tires and one Kenda(made by the bicycle, golf cart and wheelbarrow tire company) on my two Spyders, so in the fall or maybe sooner I will have 6 car tires on the two machines, when the most recent one gets a new rear tire. There really should be a investigation into the BRP/Kenda relationship and it's influence over it's authorized dealer network.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    I can say that I was one of those crazy guys to put a car tire on a motorcycle, my 2006 Triumph Rocket, and I loved it.

[016047].jpg
    You can but I won’t believe it as I’ve known a few that have tried it and hated it as it seriously changes the way a 2 wheeler rides.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Weight is the major factor in tire traction. Car tires are designed for 3000+lb cars and the Spyders weigh less than half that. The Spyders are a one-of-a-kind vehicle and there aren’t going to be all kinds of aftermarket parts for them.

Just as a sport bike uses different tires to that of a big touring bike, a Spyder needs to use a tire made for its weight to rather than profile.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I have 5 car tires and one Kenda(made by the bicycle, golf cart and wheelbarrow tire company) on my two Spyders, so in the fall or maybe sooner I will have 6 car tires on the two machines, when the most recent one gets a new rear tire. There really should be a investigation into the BRP/Kenda relationship and it's influence over it's authorized dealer network.
    BRP - Kenda relationship is all about the money -----PERIOD .....I can't address the DOT laws in Canada .... but in the U.S. Harley Davidson uses regular Auto tires on their TRIKES.- LEGALLY .....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-17-2024 at 03:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    You can but I won’t believe it as I’ve known a few that have tried it and hated it as it seriously changes the way a 2 wheeler rides.
    There are two reasons why this happens .... #1- auto tires do not have round treads & #2- to a lesser degree two wheel mtc's. have a different style wheel Rim......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    BRP - Kenda relationship is all about the money -----PERIOD .....I can't address the DOT laws in Canada .... but in the U.S. Harley Davidson uses regular Auto tires on their TRIKES.- LEGALLY .....Mike
    I read that Harley uses specific tires for their trikes. They also mention not using anything that is not approved.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-18-2024 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Weight is the major factor in tire traction. Car tires are designed for 3000+lb cars and the Spyders weigh less than half that. The Spyders are a one-of-a-kind vehicle and there aren’t going to be all kinds of aftermarket parts for them.

Just as a sport bike uses different tires to that of a big touring bike, a Spyder needs to use a tire made for its weight to rather than profile.
    Peter and I have explained why auto tires can & will work on our LIGHT-WEIGHT Spyders three dozen or more times ..... Traction is accomplished using a Weight to PSI in those tires. .... this is how 1000 plus Dragsters obtain Traction ..... The PSI in those tires is so that RIM locks are used to keep the tires attached to the wheels. ..... without them the wheels would spin inside the tires ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thank you Blueknight, I was about to explain the tire footprint vs inflation.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Peter and I have explained why auto tires can & will work on our LIGHT-WEIGHT Spyders three dozen or more times ..... Traction is accomplished using a Weight to PSI in those tires. .... this is how 1000 plus Dragsters obtain Traction ..... The PSI in those tires is so that RIM locks are used to keep the tires attached to the wheels. ..... without them the wheels would spin inside the tires ..... Mike
    Too funny!!! ��
    Explain why sport bike tires are different to touring bike tires? They use the same PSI yet the sport tires wear out way faster than touring tires. Sport tires have a much stickier rubber compound than touring tires because they have to stick the corners and don’t have the weight a touring bike has. Sport bikes weigh around 500lbs +/-, compared to 1000+ lb touring bikes. Thanks, but I’ll use what’s designed for the vehicle I ride.

Never use a touring tire on a sport bike because if you do you’ll most likely end up in hospital.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I read that Harley uses specific tires for their trikes. They also mention not using anything that is not approved.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Thank you for providing that LINK .... I read everything Dunlop / HD had to say about that tire ..... What they didn't mention is more important than what they said .... Let me explain it this way - decades ago a friend wanted to put an HD / Dunlop tire on His HD cruiser ( I don't recall the model, but it only had TWO wheels ) He took it in to His dealer ( where He had bought His HD ) and told them He wanted to put the Dunlop tire from the Trike on the rear of His HOG .... they told Him they couldn't LEGALLY do that because the BEADS on the wheels DID NOT MATCH.... Two wheel Mtc's DO NOT have " J " type rim beads ..... only Auto/car wheels have " J " style beads...... Mike