Spyder Garage

Default Atlanta, GA Spyder maintenance - they won't work on bikes over 10 years old!

I bought my 2014 Spyder new at Mountain MotorSports in Marietta. I've had service done by the same company at their Conyers, GA location and at their Roswell, GA location. I learned a couple of weeks ago that December 31 of this year is the last time MMS will work on my bike. They won't work on bikes over 10 years old.

I try to do all my own maintenance, but there are definitely things I need to get a dealer to do. Does anyone know where to get an 11 year old Spyder worked on in the Atlanta area?

Regards, Patrick
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-16-2024 at 12:49 AM.
    2014 Spyder RT LTD silver, Corbin saddle w/backrest & gas filler door, 4" stubby antenna, dual USB charging receptacle on dash, handlebar "cuff" attachment point for RAM phone mount, Diamond-R trunk-top level luggage rack, magic mirrors, Bestem saddle bag liners & Hopnel trunk bag (2-piece set), SpyderPops bumpskid (not lighted), highway foot rests; rear tire General Altimax 215/60/15, Baker Wind Wings, LED Headlights, RT Series 2010-2019 Rear Trunk Holder

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    I bought my 2014 Spyder new at Mountain MotorSports in Marietta. I've had service done by the same company at their Conyers, GA location and at their Roswell, GA location. I learned a couple of weeks ago that December 31 of this year is the last time MMS will work on my bike. They won't work on bikes over 10 years old.

I try to do all my own maintenance, but there are definitely things I need to get a dealer to do. Does anyone know where to get an 11 year old Spyder worked on in the Atlanta area?

Regards, Patrick
    That *ucks ..... they won't even do simple routine maintenance ????? ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Sadly becoming more common all over & not just Spyders

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Do they sell any used bikes that age or won't they trade them?
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Don't know yet. I'm still trying to get the straight scoop. I was told NO MORE service, but by the parts mgr.
    2014 Spyder RT LTD silver, Corbin saddle w/backrest & gas filler door, 4" stubby antenna, dual USB charging receptacle on dash, handlebar "cuff" attachment point for RAM phone mount, Diamond-R trunk-top level luggage rack, magic mirrors, Bestem saddle bag liners & Hopnel trunk bag (2-piece set), SpyderPops bumpskid (not lighted), highway foot rests; rear tire General Altimax 215/60/15, Baker Wind Wings, LED Headlights, RT Series 2010-2019 Rear Trunk Holder

Spyder Garage

Didn't think to ask that; however, I'll bet that if I wanted to buy a 2024 Sea to Sea or that brand new beautiful white Goldwing they have on the floor, they'd be glad to take a 2008 Spyder in trade.

Spyder Garage

I would almost bet that one of their service guy's do work on the side. Maybe it's time to get beyond that service door and ask around! I found a guy that was a service manager, dam good wrench man that had enough and went on his own in his own shop! Matter of fact, he has his own tire machine, and balancer!!! GOOD for me!!! Good luck finding someone to wrench for you!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I like your solution. That's what I'm trying to do by publishing my concern on this forum. Atlanta metro is too big a place to NOT have several outfits that do exactly what your "find" does in Maine. I have a Ryker-riding friend who's a retired Marine jet engine mechanic who has done some work on my Spyder, but his arthritis is making it too hard (in his 80s) to get up and down off the floor.

Spyder Garage

Your Spyder must be an ST with the 998 5-speed engine. If it were an RT, it has the same engine as later Spyders and I think Spyder techs would work on it.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

No, it's the 2014 RTL, first year w/the 1330 ACE engine.

Spyder Garage

I'm afraid that's a common theme among shops these days and I know several reasons for that decision, but not going into here. Time to find a good independent guy or gal to work on your bike. They are out there and a good one stays busy. I know because I often work for a shop a buddy owns. They don't tend to advertise because they don't need to. Word of mouth travels fast for a good mechanic. Ask around especially with folks that have older bikes. Older bikes are mostly what we work on with a few exceptions. Some of the older bikes are getting near impossible to fine parts for and we won't waste time bringing that old bike back to life that sat in uncle Fred's barn for 30 years. Don't leave out checking with auto guys either. Spyders are as much automotive as they are motorcycles in some instances.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks Navydad. Good advice. Patrick

Spyder Garage

Patrick,
    I never take either of my spyders to MMS in Marietta. MMS in Conyers isnt much better either. I have had terrible service experience from MMS in Marietta. Including oil dripping from the machine after a oil change which they charged me for $350. I finally wised up after takng the 2019 RTL in for an alignment and despite getting quoted $300 i was told it would be $450 ....I take mine to Extreme Propulsion in Cartersville now. They have master techs and techs who perform alignments flawlessly. They also have a master tech with over 20 years experience as a resource. They will install BajaRon sway bars too.
    I would ask if they will service your 2014 Spyder 1330 engine. I bet they will... Tell them Milburn Emery sent you. IIRC the service manager 's name is Michael.
    We bought our 23 S2S from them back in August 2023 :-)
    If that doesnt work out, PM me and I will ask my local mechanic if he will do oil changes on your spyder. He services all my vehicles and has done so for 30 years. Including my 2019 Polaris slingshot maybe he will do the spyder?
    Last edited by WRCLVR; 02-16-2024 at 09:21 AM.
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

The sad fact is that manufacturers of Cars, Motorcycles, et. are allowed by the Feds to stop providing suppoert for their products after 10 years. In other words, that means no OEM parts have to be manufactured (although some do) for any vehicle. So then you are stuck trying to find "remanufactured" parts, which are easy to get for cars & trucks, not so much for motorcycles. And, as you experienced, more repair shops are declining to work on ANY vehicle older than 10 years. Sucks, but there it is.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Check with BajaRon in Greeneville, TN. His shop will work on your Spyder. Daniel, the master mechanic, knows the Spyders completely.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I ran into the same problem with my 998 V-Twin 2012 RTL. The shop I used to use, by-passing two other shops to get to, called me to see if I wanted to schedule a service appointment. I asked for a price on a brake service. After checking with the shop, she came back to tell me they didn't work on Spyders more than 10 years old. I said you called me... Didn't make any difference. So I told them never to call me again. I have since found a closer shop that will work on anything you can get to their shop.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-17-2024 at 05:23 AM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the confirmation of a situation like mine!! Patrick

Spyder Garage

I am in your shape with a 2011 RT-S but I have found several independent guys who do better work at a more reasonable rate. Good luck.
    Leon
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-19-2024 at 07:17 PM.
    2011 Can AM RT-S SE5 Red

Spyder Garage

Leaping1,

I like what you're saying, I've just not been able to find those independent guys in the Atlanta area. Still looking!

Atlanta Spyder owners w/older bikes, pls let me know who out there works on 11yo+ Spyders.

Patrick