Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    PMK,
    Is your friend riding with the OEM sway bar? I ask because the BR Ultra sway bar was going to be my next purchase and use with my incoming H&R springs. I'm a 6'3" / 230# 100% solo rider, so a bit lighter than your friend. I did add the BR end links last fall to use in the interim.
    For my friends Spyder, the oem swaybar was removed a while back, and the BajaRon original swaybar was installed. Preload adjusters were also installed. He adjusted the preload up and down, ultimately settling on zero added preload. When I rode it in that setup, the front had the over preloaded / soft spring vague feel that a stock Spyder has.
    I rode his Spyder a bit in that setup.

For a Spyder, street driven, and exposed to the elements, I am not a fan of the new style swaybar. Sorry. Mixing aluminum against steel, on a splined interface can add an element of possible corrosion and fretting over time at the aluminum splines. Simply not something worth dealing with unless truly riding hard and at the limit, or racing.

Truth told, if it were me, I would upgrade springs first, then test ride / evaluate if a firmer swaybar should be considered. Between the firmer springs decreasing chassis roll, and you not being heavy, adding the swaybar may reduce front grip and add harshness on single wheel type bumps. Consider too, the roads here in SoFlo overall are very good most times. Also, our area is not known for having “stuff” on the road surface that reduces grip, (except rain water). Time will tell about how well I like his setup, but expect good performance.

Weather permitting, I absolutely want to test those brake discs. While riding, I can get a pretty good idea of how the springs increased roll stiffness and if front end feels like it will push / understeer, threshold is approached. Then message you results.

For comparison, I am a stumpy legged 5’10” at 200 pounds.
    Last edited by PMK; 01-19-2024 at 09:44 AM.