Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RTL coolant leak

Small puddle of coolant under bike after first ride around block this February
    any ideas
    Is the coolant in the 2020 RTL. reddish or green
    Last edited by Cirhere; 02-11-2024 at 12:29 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cirhere View Post
    Small puddle of coolant under bike after first ride around block this February
    any ideas
    Is the coolant in the 2020 RTL. reddish or green
    Pinkish-red, NOT green
    Last edited by Knizar; 02-11-2024 at 01:22 PM.
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    Pinkish-red, NOT green
    IMHO it looks orangish ..... Hopefully the connection at the bottom of tank is the leak, however a fair number have simply cracked .... if possible, make sure the cap is on correctly and tight ..... was it at the dealer recently??? And was any issue reservoir related??? .... good luck ... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-11-2024 at 06:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

It hasn't been to dealer since oil change June last year, no issue of reservoir

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Drop your skid plate and check your lower radiator hose clamps. Don't overfill your coolant reservoir. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Drop your skid plate and check your lower radiator hose clamps. Don't overfill your coolant reservoir. Good luck.
    I had issues with seeing the level in the reservoir so I just filled it to the bottom of the internal strainer & this was above the marks on the tank ..... My Spyder puked out the excess without any issues. .... Because UNDER filling is not what you want ...over-filling poses no issues ....good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thank you people for your input I do appreciate it
    Last edited by Cirhere; 02-12-2024 at 09:33 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike is right -- orange and underfill is bad for your waterpump seals, whereupon they leak orange fluid that maybe changes color as it passes through road grime etc on its way to your garage floor. Follow Mike's advice.

You mentioned greenish color. I don't like greenish color underneath Spyders. Remove the covers of both fuse boxes and using a small LED flashlight carefully and thoroughly examine them for any signs of water intrusion including moisture on the covers themselves. Most likely they will be dry but like I said I don't like greenish.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

I had a leak last summer, cracked reservoir. I had the dealer replace it, as there's very little room in there for my stubby fingers.

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I had issues with seeing the level in the reservoir so I just filled it to the bottom of the internal strainer & this was above the marks on the tank ..... My Spyder puked out the excess without any issues. .... Because UNDER filling is not what you want ...over-filling poses no issues ....good luck .... Mike
    Did the same with mine. As you may know, a flashlight shining up and behind the front right wheel makes it easy to see. I bought the gooseneck funnel which makes it easy as pie to fill. Screw up and learn, screw up and learn. That's mostly how I learn, LOL. However, this site has saved my butt several times over.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Mike is right -- orange and underfill is bad for your waterpump seals, whereupon they leak orange fluid that maybe changes color as it passes through road grime etc on its way to your garage floor. Follow Mike's advice.

You mentioned greenish color. I don't like greenish color underneath Spyders. Remove the covers of both fuse boxes and using a small LED flashlight carefully and thoroughly examine them for any signs of water intrusion including moisture on the covers themselves. Most likely they will be dry but like I said I don't like greenish.
    with Bert, the OP asked " IF " it was Reddish or Green .... to the best of my Knowledge ALL 1330 engine cooling systems were " orange/pink " and DEX-COOL is compatible .... I know this because I've added 6+ oz. two seasons ago and it works ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-11-2024 at 11:54 PM.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

....Well folks the radiator cap and the overflow tank are becoming more of a problem.
    My 2016 Spyder RT leaked at the cracked overflow tank seams. It was a bad batch from the
    Factory. Replaced the tank and cap. This fixed the problem.

Coolant is a orange/pink Dex type. If in doubt check with your Spyder Dealer.

Stay in the Game. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

It is important to find out where the leak is coming from. Some likely culprits have already been mentioned.

Anti-freeze can puke out past the radiator cap if overfilled or if the cap was not mounted correctly (don't ask me how I know).

The reservoir can crack just below the cap or elsewhere. A crack just below the cap will give you occasional issues. A crack lower down will leak down to the same point each time.

Check the weep hole in the water pump. There should be Zero oil, water, or any liquid at all there. If there is, you need to address it right away as the water and oil pump share the same system. You gota keep em separated! As the song says.

Improperly tightened radiator hoses have been an issue from time-to-time. They will hang in for some time and then start to leak. Another place to check.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...