Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2024 RT Ltd display shuts off - back to dealer!

I have a brand new 2024 Spyder RT Limited that I just got 2 days ago, and I was out riding and the 10.25 display shut off on me. When I stopped and restarted, it worked. It also sometimes doesn't want to go into reverse until I restart it. Kind of annoyed after spending $30 grand on something. Good thing I have extended warranty. So, it's going back to dealer.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-09-2024 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - not 1330 engine specific & adjusted title to briefly state the reason for the thread... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Congrats on a 2024 Spyder. They have been installing a cheap chinese battery in these last few years. Probably just need to charge up better. The dealership maybe just didn't charge it up properly. Put it on a 1 amp charger for 24 hrs. Also, you could check the battery with a voltmeter, it's behind the frunk, and behind the fabric liner. It should have 12.5/12.8 resting volts.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-09-2024 at 07:38 PM.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JB62 View Post
    I have a brand new 2024 Spyder RT Limited that I just got 2 days ago, and I was out riding and the 10.25 display shut off on me. When I stopped and restarted, it worked. It also sometimes doesn't want to go into reverse until I restart it. Kind of annoyed after spending $30 grand on something. Good thing I have extended warranty. So, it's going back to dealer.
    Hey Jeff. Only 3 days ago, that unit was still in the crate. So yeah, money is on the bet that they didn't bother giving the battery a charge before they gave it to you. Although, with the engine running, it's a little odd that the alternator couldn't maintain, but still, put the battery on a smart charger...either 1 or 2 amps...and just let it charge until the charger shifts from charging to maintaining mode. If you don't have a smart charger, get one. (not sure of your experience level) If you are going to own Powersports products these days, it's a necessity. By smart charger, we mean one that has different settings for different battery types, such as gel, AGM, flooded, etc, and has programs that condition as well as charge. Your battery is AGM. And if you want to splurge, get one for LIPO, also. OptiMate makes a nice line of chargers.

As Wood said, it is a cheap Chinese battery that is only rated at 300CCA. A Spyder needs 350CCA. At some point, you will be replacing that battery sooner than normal. Sorry.

While you're in the battery compartment, check that the connections on the battery posts are tight. All things you can do this weekend and save the trip to the dealer, just in case that this is the only problem. But, you know, sometimes stuff happens. Understand your frustration. You are an early adopter on the 2024. Maybe it needs a firmware update. They'll figure it out. That's what warranties are for. If not, change dealers. This is Diamond?

As a hint and reminder to folks - the 2024 does NOT have a big, black Reverse button. Also Jeff, when the Operators Guide discusses shifting, and it says have your foot on the brake. It's not just a suggestion. It's an interlock. It won't work without it. Press firmly. Good Luck with it. It will all work out.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 02-09-2024 at 08:30 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Guys thanks for the reply, I have it on a battery tender. I spent 22 yrs as a jet engine mechanic so I am mechanically inclined. The dealer is 5 minutes from my house. I got a great deal on it. The dealership had put it on their sales sheet for $27000.00. After I bought the bike, I saw the salesman the next day and he told me the bike should have been $31000.00 so it was a typo on their sales sheet, therefore I got it for $4000 less than I should have been. Still love the thing, just have to work out kinks.

5FFE6AAA-6334-4524-A21C-61E644FE425C.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-09-2024 at 09:20 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Check your Math!"
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Cool

Kinzar, I never was good in math, just fixed it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JB62, you have a great attitude. Kudos to you.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Thank you Old Timer

Spyder Garage

I've had quite a bit of experience with these cheap Chinese batteries. BRP switched to these from Yuasa batteries during the covid years. Unfortunately, you will not get more than 6 months out of one of these reliably. That just happens to be the warranty period on the battery. If you have a good relationship with this dealer, get them to replace the battery with a better one before the 6 months. If not, consider going with a lithium replacement. I put a NOCO lithium battery in my 2020 RTL over a year ago, and it's great. 600 CCA, and is smaller and weighs less than 4 pounds.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Hey Jetfixer, what part number NOCO battery did you use ?? Will the standard Deltran battery tender work with this battery ??

thanks johnv
    Last edited by johnv50; 02-10-2024 at 06:29 PM.
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks Jetfixer for the info it is very much appreciated.

Spyder Garage

I also just picked up my 2024 RT Limited. Did you find a battery tender Connection Pig Tail in your Frunk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Maplehawk View Post
    I also just picked up my 2024 RT Limited. Did you find a battery tender Connection Pig Tail in your Frunk
    Sure did love the can-am just a few problems to work thru, my dealership is going to take to Saturday and see what's going on.

Spyder Garage

Sure did love the can-am just a few problems to work thru, my dealership is going to take to Saturday and see what's going on.
    Have you tried Car Play yet. I have heard that is doesn't work and requires a software update
    -------------------------------
    2024 RT Limited, Petrol Metalic
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    TricLED Front Fender Reflectors with Sequential LED Turn Signals & Running Lights
    Show Chrome LED Trunk Lights with Run, Brake & Sequential Turn Signals
    Mo-Door Garage Door Opener
    Fobo Electronic Tire Pressure Monitoring System
    Show Chrome Heavy-Duty Replacement Rear Trunk Lid Lift Support Strut / Shock
    Show Chrome Trunk Mounted Luggage Rack
    SpyderExtras Billet Aluminum Handlebar Riser Kit

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Maplehawk View Post
    Have you tried Car Play yet. I have heard that is doesn't work and requires a software update
    I have read on here that you have to purchase it from BRP, but I tried and no apple car play. I am sure not going to purchase it i will just use my cell phone.

Spyder Garage

I have read on here that you have to purchase it from BRP, but I tried and no apple car play. I am sure not going to purchase it i will just use my cell phone.
    I will be causing a ruckus if that is the case,
    -------------------------------
    2024 RT Limited, Petrol Metalic
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    TricLED Front Fender Reflectors with Sequential LED Turn Signals & Running Lights
    Show Chrome LED Trunk Lights with Run, Brake & Sequential Turn Signals
    Mo-Door Garage Door Opener
    Fobo Electronic Tire Pressure Monitoring System
    Show Chrome Heavy-Duty Replacement Rear Trunk Lid Lift Support Strut / Shock
    Show Chrome Trunk Mounted Luggage Rack
    SpyderExtras Billet Aluminum Handlebar Riser Kit

Spyder Garage

No, you don't have to pay for it. For the past few years, there has been an after market, stand-alone unit that you could add to any bike. It was a separate display that ran Apple CarPlay from your phone. Looked similar to a GPS unit. You paid for that. It wasn't a BRP product.

For the 2024 Spyder, Apple CarPlay is built into the main display. There's no fee. However, for it to be enabled, you have to connect your iPhone to the bike via USB, AND pair a helmet comms unit to the bike via Bluetooth. Otherwise, it is disabled.

CarPlay worked at the show in Atlanta. Don't know why it would need a software update on the production models, But, even Smoak hinted that there was an update required. OR...maybe folks at the dealerships aren't reading the manual and not pairing up a helmet.

Instructional Video explains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upep5y0TLeU
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 02-14-2024 at 07:42 AM.

Doug

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Theres a wireless bluetooth adapter from QuadLock I'm using in my car:

https://www.quadlockcase.com/collect...42203608514731

Don't see any obvious reason it wouldn't work on the trike, but I haven't traded up from my '20 RTL. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    No, you don't have to pay for it. For the past few years, there has been an after market, stand-alone unit that you could add to any bike. It was a separate display that ran Apple CarPlay from your phone. Looked similar to a GPS unit. You paid for that. It wasn't a BRP product.

For the 2024 Spyder, Apple CarPlay is built into the main display. There's no fee. However, for it to be enabled, you have to connect your iPhone to the bike via USB, AND pair a helmet comms unit to the bike via Bluetooth. Otherwise, it is disabled.

CarPlay worked at the show in Atlanta. Don't know why it would need a software update on the production models, But, even Smoak hinted that there was an update required. OR...maybe folks at the dealerships aren't reading the manual and not pairing up a helmet.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

I will try again later

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here we go, just as I thought what would happen with these displays and updates, not even a month out of the chute and it is BRP's own display ...
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1694655
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 02-14-2024 at 09:16 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    Here we go, just as I thought what would happen with these displays and updates, not even a month out of the chute and it is BRP's own display ...
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1694655
    I hear you. The only place that I've heard a mention of a needed update was a little comment in a Smoak video. But, it wasn't because he had worked with it yet, it was just a message from the sales people upstairs. But, if that's the case, then it will get worked out.

It's not intuitively obvious that a helmet comms unit HAS TO be paired to the Spyder - not to the phone - via Bluetooth, unless you read the documentation / manual. That could be an error being made. This is an Apple requirement - not a BRP requirement - because Siri is required in order to use Apple CarPlay in a vehicle. It's a driver distraction thing. So, on the Spyder, you can't interface with Siri without a headset.

The iPhone HAS TO be connected to the bike by the USB in the glovebox. There's no mention of whether or not the iPhone also needs to be paired to the Spyder via Bluetooth. But, in order to make and receive phone calls handsfree, I would think that would be necessary, also.

Plus, the touchscreen function of the entire display is disabled whenever the Spyder is moving. So, you are still navigating the display with button controls while moving.

I wish I had one to play around with. But ultimately, I think it will be a better experience than BRP GO. New owners just need to fire it up and learn how it works.

(I guess we've hijacked this thread)

Doug

Spyder Garage

Hey Jeff. Only 3 days ago, that unit was still in the crate. So yeah, money is on the bet that they didn't bother giving the battery a charge before they gave it to you. Although, with the engine running, it's a little odd that the alternator couldn't maintain, but still, put the battery on a smart charger...either 1 or 2 amps...and just let it charge until the charger shifts from charging to maintaining mode. If you don't have a smart charger, get one. (not sure of your experience level) If you are going to own Powersports products these days, it's a necessity. By smart charger, we mean one that has different settings for different battery types, such as gel, AGM, flooded, etc, and has programs that condition as well as charge. Your battery is AGM. And if you want to splurge, get one for LIPO, also. OptiMate makes a nice line of chargers.

As Wood said, it is a cheap Chinese battery that is only rated at 300CCA. A Spyder needs 350CCA. At some point, you will be replacing that battery sooner than normal. Sorry.

While you're in the battery compartment, check that the connections on the battery posts are tight. All things you can do this weekend and save the trip to the dealer, just in case that this is the only problem. But, you know, sometimes stuff happens. Understand your frustration. You are an early adopter on the 2024. Maybe it needs a firmware update. They'll figure it out. That's what warranties are for. If not, change dealers. This is Diamond?

As a hint and reminder to folks - the 2024 does NOT have a big, black Reverse button. Also Jeff, when the Operators Guide discusses shifting, and it says have your foot on the brake. It's not just a suggestion. It's an interlock. It won't work without it. Press firmly. Good Luck with it. It will all work out.
    Hey Doug, do you think it's OK to use a higher amp smart charger than 1 or 2 amps? Amazon has quite a few that are 5, 6, 10, etc. Thanks, Dwight
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    Hey Doug, do you think it's OK to use a higher amp smart charger than 1 or 2 amps? Amazon has quite a few that are 5, 6, 10, etc. Thanks, Dwight
    Hey Dwight. For the Yuasa AGM battery, the required initial charging rate is 2 amps. So, you would want a charger that can go down to that. That would be good for a Powersports or lawn tractor battery around that same size. If you want to invest in a charger that you can use on a variety of vehicles, I would get one that has multiple charging rate settings that you can select. But, 2 amps would be the lowest. Same goes for battery types. Typically they can be selected between Flooded Cell, AGM and Gel. Newer ones even have a setting for Lithium. And some newer ones can even tell which type the battery is automatically.

Any smart charger these days should automatically shift into a maintaining / conditioning mode once the charge is completed. So, you don't HAVE TO have separate maintainers unless you have multiple vehicles that you want on maintainers at the same time.

So, it all depends on what your needs are. I have my main charger that has settings for 2, 5 and 10 amps...and can be selected between the 3 main battery types. I have no lithium yet. Then a couple of maintainers for the old car, the bike and the John Deere.

BTW Dwight - is your Spyder still in the shop?
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 02-14-2024 at 02:04 PM.

Doug

Spyder Garage

Just went out and tried it helmet connected, cable connected, like on the video doesn't work. There is no apple car play icon on the screen to turn on like in the video. Followed video to the tee and doesn't work.

Spyder Garage

Hey Dwight. For the Yuasa AGM battery, the required initial charging rate is 2 amps. So, you would want a charger that can go down to that. That would be good for a Powersports or lawn tractor battery around that same size. If you want to invest in a charger that you can use on a variety of vehicles, I would get one that has multiple charging rate settings that you can select. But, 2 amps would be the lowest. Same goes for battery types. Typically they can be selected between Flooded Cell, AGM and Gel. Newer ones even have a setting for Lithium. And some newer ones can even tell which type the battery is automatically.

Any smart charger these days should automatically shift into a maintaining / conditioning mode once the charge is completed. So, you don't HAVE TO have separate maintainers unless you have multiple vehicles that you want on maintainers at the same time.

So, it all depends on what your needs are. I have my main charger that has settings for 2, 5 and 10 amps...and can be selected between the 3 main battery types. I have no lithium yet. Then a couple of maintainers for the old car, the bike and the John Deere.

BTW - is your Spyder still in the shop?
    Haven't taken it in yet dropping it off Saturday, won't know for a few weeks as I am a trucker and will be gone for couple of weeks.