Spyder Garage

Default Are Freedom Trailer wheel bearings sealed & no maintenance required?

I looked in the Freedom trailers user guide concerning greasing the wheel bearings and found no mention of applying bearing grease as a maintenance item. It said the bearings and wheel hub are one assembly and to replace the bearings the entire hub must be replaced.

Question; are the wheel bearings sealed and no maintenance is required?

The manual stated to check for wheel hub/tire free play (sided by side movement) and ease of turning. If found then replace the entire hub unit.

Poasttown 2019 F3L, Freedom Trailer
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-08-2024 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2019 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never replaced an entire hub, only the bearings, races, and seals. Here's a link that may help you. I've repacked and reinstalled many bearings and only replaced ones that show damage or signs of being worn. https://www.etrailer.com/question-519060.html Let me correct myself here. I did replace a hub once on a 20' gooseneck where the bearing went out and destroyed the hub and the spindle which required a new axel.

Spyder Garage

Thanks 2dogs. I’ve been waiting for a little warmer weather to look at the bearings on my freedom trailer. Being that the trailer is only a few years old and has only moderate use I think all is well. However, my concern is the actual grease applied at the factory. In the “old days” when changing tires/breaks I would also apply additional grease to the bearing and axle as regular maintenance. When the manual stated that the bearings cannot be be replaced because they are a part of the hub unit, thus the entire hub must be replaced if the bearings are bad, I was wondering if there was a need to even periodically add grease.

I plan to take a look before the riding season begins. Thanks again for the additional info. I will keep it for future reference.

Poasttown, 2019 F3L
    2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Not sure for the freedom trailer, but BRP states the same for the RT-622 trailer. I have replaced a few bearings seals on mine.

If the hub is the same this will help

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...r-RT622-owners
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    .... I plan to take a look before the riding season begins. Thanks again for the additional info. I will keep it for future reference. ....
    To ease your mind, purchase a set of bearings, races, and a seal before your trip. Pack them with grease and they'll be ready to install. All it takes to replace them is a small hand full of tools and some quiet time. You'll probably ward off the bearing gremlin and have peace of mind for a fun trip. Oh yeah, I forgot, you cannot have too many paper towels if you know what I mean. LOL Lots of luck.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-10-2024 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Any modern wheel bearing on any vehicle that are not already using the sealed bearings can probably be replaced with sealed bearings of the same demensions.

The grease fittings are not always simply to pump grease into the wheel brearings. Many of the applications on 4X4 vehicles, boat trailers, and off road toys are so you can pump grease into the hubs (even those with sealed bearings) and displace any water that gets into the hubs fording creeks, launching boats, or in flooded areas. If the vehicles are not already equiped with the grease fitting hubs, the kits to convert to them are most likely available, either on the Web or from a discount parts store.

Images ---- https://www.google.com/search?q=grea...ntu-chr&hs=jsg
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

The following is from the BRP owners manual for a 2016 Freedom Trailer:

Wheel Hub Removal: NOTE: Bearings are not available as spare parts. When bearing replacement is required, replace wheel hub as an assembly.

The link to the manual is:

https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/...p?folderId=327
    Current: 2022 RTL SE6 Red Marsala and 2012 622 Trailer Lava Bronze,
    Previous: 2014 RTL SE6 Black Currant - 58,746 miles,
    2012 RTL SE5 Lava Bronze - 19,675 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    The following is from the BRP owners manual for a 2016 Freedom Trailer:

Wheel Hub Removal: NOTE: Bearings are not available as spare parts. When bearing replacement is required, replace wheel hub as an assembly.

The link to the manual is:

https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/...p?folderId=327
    All that means is that BRP does not sell the parts. Any auto parts store, tractor supply and even some wal-marts have them along with a lot of online sites. At least for the 622.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the reply’s. This conversation has been helpful and will provide guidance as I dig into this issue.

Poasttown 2019 F3L
    2019 F3 Limited