Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Trying to decide which a/mkt seat for 2020 RT Ltd - any discussion?

Trying to decide between a Corbin, and Ultimate Seat. I've had a Corbin before, and it's a great seat once it's broken in. I've never sat on an Ultimate. Both are about the same price, close anyway. Any discussion would be nice. Dave
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-01-2024 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

The Corbin seats have a reputation for being "hard." I put one on my 2008 GS and liked it. I referred to the hardness as "supportive." The thing with Corbins, you either love them or hate them. Throughout the rest of my Spyders I used BRP comfort seats on all the RT's. When we bought the F3's, I went with a Cannonball (BRP) seat and Linda stuck with the OEM. The only Spyder out of seven that we did not replace the OEM seat on.

Ultimates have a GOOD reputation on the site. I recommend a "test sit" to make sure that you are buying the seat that suits YOU best.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I've had Ultimate, Mustang, Corbin, BRP comfort seats. Not all on spyders, but on 2 wheelers. I actually enjoyed the Corbin best. That's my own opinion.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

I also have used Corbin, Mustang, Sargent and modified seats (Laam) on different bikes. Used Corbin's on four different bikes over the years. I never had a Corbin I didn't like. Never tried an Ultimate seat. That said, I've seen plenty of fitment issues lately with Corbin's. Not sure how their current QC is these days. Don't hear much bad about Ultimate. Me? I like the two piece design, and would look again at Seth Laam or Russell day Long. Going to give the Comfort seat on my new S2S a season before I decide. Good luck.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

The thing about seats which makes it difficult is that one person will love seat A, and the next person will hate it, preferring seat B. If fit, build, and construction are of good quality, there are still too many variables to say one is better than the other. I've found seats to be a trial and error situation. I've not found a way to get past it other than sitting on each for the machine you intend to install them on. Even then, you're not going to know for sure until you spend a few hours on one.

Good luck!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I love my corbin (so does my wife) with the way it feels we can go out for long rides with no issues, but the fitment to the F3 is sloppy. It could be a bit more "refined" for the money that you are paying for it.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I have an Ultimate on my Goldwing. Im going to Ultimate soon to buy a seat for my RT

Of course every ones anatomy is different

Spyder Garage

I stated I like the Corbin the best. I agree with BajaRon. My problem is God or someone never gave me a motorcycle butt. I have never been able to ride for more than 45 - 60 minutes using any seat. I guess that is good cus I have to stop and drink something and stretch. Good luck with what ever you get and just get out and ride.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

We had Mustangs on our Vulcan and RTL. Very comfortable for us.

Spyder Garage

Thx for the replies. I've also had Sargent seats on my bikes, but they don't make them for Can Am's anymore. Day Long is a good option...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-02-2024 at 07:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

I've had Ultimate seats on my Goldwing, Harley, Spyder RT and a Corbin (it has always felt hard to me) on my Hayabusa with great results, except for the Harley. On that one, I went back to the OEM seat, I felt the stock seat had better padding.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-02-2024 at 09:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have the Corbin 1 piece on my 2021 base model. I absolutely love it. It's not hard. It is taller than the stock seat however by an inch or 2, but because I have the HeliBars and a taller windshield, I don't mind. I like how now I don't have to prop up my seat to fill the tank.
    Last edited by Quickdraw; 02-10-2024 at 11:12 AM.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I've always have went with Corbin on all my bikes. But I live about 90 min away from the Ca. Factory. I do a ride in and have it custom made for me as I wait. You get to "test it out" before they cover it to make it to your liking.
    2022 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

For those with the Corbin dual touring seats on their 2020+ RT's, how do you find the fitment? Any gaps? I don't think I'd like any additional ride height on the RT though. Ultimate states that you sit more in the seat and that sounds appealing to me.
    Last edited by troop; 02-07-2024 at 10:15 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    For those with the Corbin 1 piece seats on their 2020+ RT's, how do you find the fitment? Any gaps? I don't think I'd like any additional ride height on the RT though. Ultimate states that you sit more in the seat and that sounds appealing to me.
    The fitment is great,no gaps. I really like the Fuel door instead of having to raise the seat to fuel up, and for ride height you can customize that. I'm 6'2 with a 36 inch inseam. I had some added to the seat height to change the leg angle and love it.

Check out my post "New Corbin Seat" I have Pictures of the process of them making it.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...76#post1674876

Spyder Garage

You need to get to a rally that has a seat vendor. Best way to try a seat. Or, head to CA. to visit a seat maker. The best ones are there IMO. I would not buy a Corbin unless it were from an in person visit! Their fit and finish is terrible. I speak from experience. And customer service? The worst I have seen from any manufacturer! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wholeheartedly agree on the Bad Customer Service from Corbin, when I called about trying to get the fitment issues taken care of I was pretty much blown off. Same with any of the email responses.

As much as I love the feel of this seat it will be the last one I buy from corbin unless like other people have said you are there with them in person at a rally or factory.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

1 butt...one opinion (based on 5 times purchased)....Russell Day Long. Installed my latest one last month on my 2020 Spyder RT.
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
    The fitment is great,no gaps. I really like the Fuel door instead of having to raise the seat to fuel up, and for ride height you can customize that. I'm 6'2 with a 36 inch inseam. I had some added to the seat height to change the leg angle and love it.

Check out my post "New Corbin Seat" I have Pictures of the process of them making it.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...76#post1674876
    Perfect .. Thank you. I'm 6'3" with 36" inseam. I have had added height done to a couple Corbin's in the past also. Is the rider seat truly only 12.5" W ? thanks

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EODSF View Post
    Thx for the replies. I've also had Sargent seats on my bikes, but they don't make them for Can Am's anymore. Day Long is a good option...
    EODSF, heed Bajaron’s advice above. We are all different. Unless you can try a seat for a longer ride, and hand it back if it doesn’t work, don’t go for a “one size fits all”. Just because someone above has recommended a particular brand, it does not mean it will work for you. Look at whether you can afford the extra for Daylong or Laam, which are “guaranteed” to provide you with all day comfort. I factor the cost of a Daylong into every new bike I buy, and have done for 15+ years.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

For those with the Corbin 1 piece seats on their 2020+ RT's, how do you find the fitment? Any gaps? I don't think I'd like any additional ride height on the RT though. Ultimate states that you sit more in the seat and that sounds appealing to me.
    Mine fits perfectly. You do sit more in the seat and you have more seat to sit on. And again, even though it's higher, I don't mind because it gives me more leg room. The windshield is the one thing I changed because of sitting higher, but I was going to change that out anyhow because at higher speeds, the stock shield, even at its highest setting, still gave me bobblehead at high speeds. So I bough the 7Jurock with the flip. Absolutely love my setup now.
    Last edited by Quickdraw; 02-10-2024 at 11:12 AM.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Perfect .. Thank you. I'm 6'3" with 36" inseam. I have had added height done to a couple Corbin's in the past also. Is the rider seat truly only 12.5" W ? thanks
    Here is a couple of pictures to give you some perspective of the size, 12.5 inches wide is a bit off I think. The front at it's widest is around 16 inches, and the back at its widest right at 18 inches. Also this can be customized, If you order online make some very specific instructions in what you want.

front.jpgback.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
    Here is a couple of pictures to give you some perspective of the size, 12.5 inches wide is a bit off I think. The front at it's widest is around 16 inches, and the back at its widest right at 18 inches. Also this can be customized, If you order online make some very specific instructions in what you want.

front.jpgback.jpg
    Much better! Thank you. Corbin needs to update their dimensions page.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

I still really like the system motorcycledave.com sells. For under $120.00 in parts and tools you can have a custom seat you build yourself and it really isn't that hard. I did mine in 3 hrs. And if you have trouble, call Dave and he'll walk you thru it. I rode on mine in comfort for ten years until the seat cover fell apart. I then bought a seat from Mark Hart at Hartco International. He started about the same time as Corbin. A much more comfortable seat, I think. I had a Corbin on a Royal Star RSTD. Very hard and never changed. After 30,000 miles I went back to stock.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-09-2024 at 06:00 PM. Reason: motircycledave... ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

Another vote for a Russell Daylong. I currently own 4. 2 on BMW's, an Ultra Harley, and my 21 RTL. Bought my first one 20+ years ago, have some 300K miles on one. They just work. The rest listed here are commercial seats made for the general masses. They might be ok or not. A Russell is guaranteed, and they will adjust if necessary. Only downside is the cost...... Only hurts while writing the check. Current owner of Russell rides a Spyder and has his bike on their front page.

IMG_4115.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-11-2024 at 07:02 PM.
    2021 RT LT