Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Leaving Key in the ignition when home, any electrical problems with the Spyder?

Re a '20 F3 L

I always leave the key in the ignition when locked up in my locked up shop in the back of my house within our 6' block fence with security when I am home. Other wise I remove the key when out.

Will that cause an issue with the Key or anything else electronically. BTW, I have always done that for the last 30-40 years.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Re a '20 F3 L

I always leave the key in the ignition when locked up in my locked up shop in the back of my house within our 6' block fence with security when I am home. Other wise I remove the key when out.

Will that cause an issue with the Key or anything else electronically. BTW, I have always done that for the last 30-40 years.

2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Spyder Garage

I've never had an issue when leaving the key in my Spyder or any of my other bikes.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Always left the key in our Spyders when overnighting in our garage. Seven Spyders, 200,000 plus miles. No electrical issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Guys, I thought that was the case..........Other wise they would sure as heck, be lost.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

No problems with the electrical, but if I leave the shop door open, the dog will get on it and ride around the yard, tearing up the grass.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

There were early reports of key chip failures to read, when it was too cold & left in the garage overnight. Don’t know about your model, but it was usually resolved when the key warmed up indoors & then attempted again.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-01-2024 at 10:38 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I guess I'm the Oddball .... I always REMOVE it from the lock and place it on the recessed instrument cluster ... #1- I will never accidently leave it in the ON position, and I've read here that removing the key AWAY from the internal antenna in the ignition switch allows a Complete Re-Boot ..... JMHO ... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-02-2024 at 09:53 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A vendor on this site sells a key boot that covers the key. It gives the appearance that there is no key or ignition switch. Not my cup of tea but some may like it. The spyder was designed with an internal antitheft system for a reason.

Spyder Garage

You gotta love a dog that enjoys joy riding on a Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman View Post
    You gotta love a dog that enjoys joy riding on a Spyder.
    Roof !!!

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Mine is a 2012 RTL. I have always left the key in it when parked at home, and many times when away from home. Never had any problems in 8 years of ownership.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What do you tell the police or insurance company when they ask, "Where was the key?"

Spyder Garage

I never leave the keys in my car (in a locked garage) and never leave the key in the (in a locked shop). I also lock all doors to the house at night and when away.
    And guns, ammo, valuables, & important documents are all in safes.

I had a toolbox stolen out of my car decades ago, so NEVER again.

Lew L
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-03-2024 at 01:12 AM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I am a firm believer in a lock is only for the honest person! If they want it, it will be gone! I had my home broken into years ago, the little sob's kicked a side window out on Thanksgiving weekend while my wife and I was home with the family and had their fun threw out the whole house and garage. the insurance company was a bigger crook than the guys that wrecked my house. You know what I don't lock the door anymore. and I hope they shut the door behind them when they leave, so they don't run up my heating bill. As far as leaving the keys in your bike for storage I would do it in a heartbeat! My keys in mine, done it forever!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I am a firm believer in a lock is only for the honest person! If they want it, it will be gone! I had my home broken into years ago, the little sob's kicked a side window out on Thanksgiving weekend while my wife and I was home with the family and had their fun threw out the whole house and garage. the insurance company was a bigger crook than the guys that wrecked my house. You know what I don't lock the door anymore. and I hope they shut the door behind them when they leave, so they don't run up my heating bill. As far as leaving the keys in your bike for storage I would do it in a heartbeat! My keys in mine, done it forever!
    You are right, hollow-points are for the dishonest people.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post

~~~reading what you said here Mike reminded me of something an automotive tech once told me, in regards to my 1971 MGB. He told me to never lock the doors on this car. I asked why’s that? His response was, if they want in they’ll rip open the fabric of your drop top with a knife. After that conversation I never locked that MG nor the 64’ MGB wifey & I owned FWIW I’ve replaced several fabric tops with new over the years owning MG’s, but that was because they were worn out from exposure to the elements

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    What do you tell the police or insurance company when they ask, "Where was the key?"
    Well since it has never been stolen or even messed with I don't tell them anything. And I do take it out when left in a public place.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 02-07-2024 at 05:59 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

I grew up in Brooklyn, NY and although I left that godforsaken place almost 60 years ago, habits are hard to break. I never feel comfortable leaving a key in the ignition or even in the cup holder of any vehicle that I own, even when that vehicle is in my locked garage. I have come home from a ride, closed the garage, gone into my home and then remembered that the key was still in the bike and I've gone back out to get it, not being able to comfortably leave it as it is.

I have grandkids at the house a lot of the time. If I left the key in the ignition I could well foresee coming out one day to go for a ride and finding that one of the little guys had turned the key and now I would have a dead battery. It takes no effort to take the key inside with me so that's what I've done for every motorcycle that I have ever owned, and every car as well.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Here in Oz, if you leave your key in the ignition in public, you risk a Fine for leaving your vehicle unsecured; and if you leave your key in the ignition ANYWHERE while your vehicle is unattended (even if you are only just more than 3 metres away from it! ) then you risk reducing or possibly even losing any insurance payout for your negligence/contribution to the theft/loss.... and you might also be charged with Fraud if there's any thought &/or evidence that you left the key in on purpose in order to make it easy or attractive to steal, especially if you then make a claim for theft!

Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always put the key in my pocket when ever out and about on all of our vehicles when getting off of or out of. Other wise when put snugly away under cover at home, in the vehicle.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

I noticed lately I seem to always put my key in my left pocket when parked somewhere, and then search my right pocket first for the key on return. Sheesh. Dont get old.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Why is it you never remember to put the key in the ignition until after you put on your gloves?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Why is it you never remember to put the key in the ignition until after you put on your gloves?
    Can't tell you how many times I have done that..................................
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Can't tell you how many times I have done that..................................
    Yep, I've done, and do the same dam thing. I am sure it's a sign of oldtimers, not Alzheimer's, oldtimers. Keep on ride'n as long as you can.