Spyder Garage

Default Will a snapped off antenna effect DESS/Security?

Quick question. I snapped off my antenna today. Will that affect DESS the next time I try to start the bike?
    Thanks.

2011 RT-SM5 Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by laldll View Post
    Quick question. I snapped off my antenna today. Will that affect DESS the next time I try to start the bike?
    Thanks.
    Welcome to posting on the Forum!! It's always good to see someone who's been here for a while putting up their first post on the public pages!

As for your antenna, if you "...snapped off my antenna...", then I'd guess that to be able to do that, it'd hafta be the RADIO antenna on the rear of the bike, which means it won't have any impact on your Spyder's DESS. (Probably won't have much impact on the poor radio reception either! )

The DESS antenna is a small ring type antenna that's pretty much embedded in the surrounds of the ignition key, so it's not all that easy to get to. I don't think you'd be able to accidentally snap that one off without doing some major trauma to your Spyder?! So you should be good as far as the DESS antenna is concerned.

But while you're here, what year & model is your Spyder?? That may have a bearing on your potential exposure to any DESS issues or not; plus, it's a handy thing to know for those members considering replying to any questions you might raise. Hence the Sticky here:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-your-Sig-Line!

that asks Members to add the Model and Year of their Spyder/Ryker to their Signature line. Check out the Sticky, and if you need a hand getting that info added to your Sig Line, just drop me or any of the other Mods here a PM - you'll be able to do that now you've got your first post on the boards!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. You are correct, it was the radio antenna. Obviously I have a lot to learn about this bike; rode two wheel bikes for 35+ years, bad knees forced me to go three wheels. My wife and I love this bike.

2011 RT-SM5 Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by laldll View Post
    Thanks.
    laidil, NO, it will not effect DESS the next time you start up your bike. Your broken antenna is on the back of your spyder.

What year is your spyder?

What is your spyder model?

Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 01-22-2024 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Added to post @ 11:08 PM EST

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue