Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Here be a newbie - with a bunch of questions about riding, twitchy handling, & brakes

I is now the proud owner of a 2015 F3s. My, after riding two-wheelers for 62 years, this new-fangled three on the ground is a tad different.
    Now, if I can avail you wonderful folk to instruct me, I have a question or two.
    1. This thing appears to have the twitches. I've only ridden it 100 miles, so I'm not too familiar with its foibles, but ye gods, the front end feels loose.
    2. Crosswinds are now a real pleasure - not!
    3. Having had both knees replaced, reaching the brake pedal is a contortionist's nightmare. (I'm 78, and about as supple as a bridge abutment.). Anyone out here have installed the handlebar brake control?
    Spyder has 4780 miles on it, the tires are new, and everything has been inspected by the pros.
    I'm totally up for any advice.
    Much thanks.
    Murph in Las Vegas.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-30-2024 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Hi pop, welcome to the Forum & posting!

As for your questions, everything you mention is a quite common experience for newbies to Spyders, which is why your Welcome Thread
    ( https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...poprivit-to-SL ) included links to the "Do's & Do Nots" Sticky, a thread which might be long, but it contains a heap of info that will at least start answering those questions and more. See the link below to go straight there.

Do's & Don'ts for new Spyder Owners

Check it out, it'll help you a lot, especially if you make sure that the bits you pay the most attention to refer to the 1330 powered Spyders.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-30-2024 at 05:58 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On the new to you 2015 Spyder F3s Poprivit. The first thing I think you need is more seat time to get use to the way the Spyder handles. Its way different than 2 wheels for sure. for some tips you might try reading this https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...Spyder-owners/ lots of good info there. once you get get a little more time than I would say look at adding stuff if you think you need to at that point. Again nice machine
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 01-30-2024 at 07:41 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

It took me at least 1000 miles on the Spyder before I started feeling comfortable. Stop riding a motorcycle and start driving a quick steering sports car. A light touch makes things happen quickly. Feeling twitchy will become this is fun, but it takes awhile.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

You're in the 'Hump' stage. Where your brain is telling you you're on 2 wheels and it's all wrong. Everything your brain tells you to do will make it worse. Sure, it knows what to do with 2 wheels. But this is a different animal. Your conscious brain knows this. But the part of your brain that is instinct and muscle memory is going to do what always worked before. When it doesn't work and makes it worse. Your conscious brain is going to blame the machine. All of us 2-3 wheel converts went through the same issues.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder why it seemed so hard. It's like learning to ride a bicycle. Seems all wrong in the beginning. Hang in there and you'll find the Spyder is one of the best rides you ever had. Just ride it as much as you can and RELAX-RELAX-RELAX!

Took me about 600 miles to get comfortable enough to enjoy the ride.

Good luck!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Twitchy might be wheel alignment. If this hasn't been done, you're never going to feel right on it. They don't come aligned from the factory and half the dealers know nothing about it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-30-2024 at 09:05 PM.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

You've gotta retrain. Think of it more like a highway speed 4wheeler, that might help adjusting yourself. Really can’t force oneself anything faster as far as learning curve - you've just gotta do the miles 'til your body adapts. Then nothing but smiles! Relax your grip; white knuckles ain’t gonna help none. Be mindful of your new width & the humps in travel lanes. With 2 wheels, you would ride on OR in; with 3 wheels, they are trying/fighting to do both.
    ** Avoiding potholes/road-kill - If centered, it will kick like a mule when the rear tire hits, so aim to put it under your foot & between the tires! **
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-30-2024 at 09:04 PM. Reason: **

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

poprivit, don't get to discouraged. It takes a while to get used to three wheels.
    I started riding motorcycles in the mid sixties. Got a Ryker last July.
    I was lucky in the sense that before I was able to sell the two wheeler and waiting to buy the trike, I found this group.
    Reading posts and asking questions, so I had some idea of what I was getting into.
    Even so the first few rides were interesting, but not to scary.
    Stayed away from heavily traveled roads and took my time.
    Just went out for a few hours at a time and got better each time.
    Only put 2400 KM's before winter and was really enjoying myself at the end of the season ( can't wait for spring)
    Even had the wife out for a few short rides.
    So just take your time it will come.

Spyder Garage

I agree with all the above advice, especially the relax part. If you are at all tense on the handlebars, everything your body does will be translated into the Spyder. In addition, if you feel that reaching the brake pedal is difficult, consider that the F3 has 5 possible pedal positions. If your F3 is stock, it is in the middle position, and "could" be moved up to 2 inches in either direction. Meaning if you are taller or long legged, you'll want to move it out, and vice versa. The change is easy, but involves buying a different brake rod. They run about $40. A hand brake conversion will set you back much more.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Congrats on the new Spyder and Welcome! I can't add on anything extra.

When I first got mine it felt twitchy as well to me especially on some of the secondary roads around Md. and Pa.

Just grip lightly and maintain control the spyder will handle the rest.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You've been given great advice ..... After switching from two wheels to a Spyder, the best advice I got was "steer it like a car". You should also test the brakes - they may surprise you! And a light grip on the handlebars works best ..... so GUIDE it don't steer it .... unless you are going speed record fast in the twistie's ..... which you shouldn't try until you've mastered that Spyder ..... good luck and .....Mike

Ps: 99% of the folks here have learned that Real Auto tires make a big difference (I recommend Vredestein's )
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-31-2024 at 12:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

Welcome Pop Nice looking Spyder just watch out for the upgrade bug once it takes hold you might be a little poorer because of MS I have a handbrake kit as my right foot does not really work that well you just have to remember you will stop quicker when you use your foot than using your hand, but what everyone has said is spot on, so ride safe and have fun it's a
    2019 Can Am Spyder F3S
    ICSI Ride Hand Brake Kit as my right leg and foot does not work that well due to MS
    The Ultimate F3 Floorboard
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Shad Saddle Bags
    Lamonster F3 PACKRACK
    SHAD 58X in Carbon finish - Expandable TOP Case
    Pedal Box
    IPS Belt Tensioner and Handlebar Riser from Lamonster
    K&N air filter
    INNOVV K5
    Wilbers Nite Line Shocks
    RLS Cat Delete
    Floating Rotors with EBC Brakes for the front
    I am now broke

I Should mention the Boss has a 900 Ryker Ralli next to my bike
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black

Spyder Garage

All good advise above!!! Let us know how you feel after about 1000 or so miles, yes there's a bunch of things to check out and change to suit your riding style, but you have to get through the what the heck did I do stage! RELAX!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Just came back from my first 100-mile trip, and boy, do I feel different.
    Thanks all for the good words. Much appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Hi, poprivit,

I rode two-wheelers for 70 years. When I discovered I couldn't pick a Goldwing up after it took a dirt nap, I started looking at alternatives. I tried hanging sidecar on the Wing. It worked fine, except my wife hated sitting at eye level with the rotating sabers found on 18-wheelers. She pounded on my leg when I "flew" the car. I bought a Goldwing Trike. Rode it for 50,000 miles. I did not like the feeling of doing a forward summersault when forced to brake on a downhill curve.

I bought an early model Spyder. I absolutely hated it! It ricocheted from one hump in the road to the next. It skittered sideways when the narrow track didn't fit the road grooves. In crosswinds, I felt like I was riding on the knife edge of disaster. Being too stupid to quit, or too stubborn . . . I continued to ride. Amazingly, after I adjusted the tire pressures to suit my riding style, I quit strangling the handgrips and was able to go from point A to point B without cursing.

A friend suggested that the newer model Spyders handled better. Well, my machine needed tires and a tune-up. To save money, I traded it for a new Sea to Sky. Holy Mackeral! It went down a cement slab highway in a straight line. I rode it for 1,000 miles. Nothing fell off or broke. I filled all the storage areas with essentials (too many clothes and not enough money) and rode 9,313 miles in 27 days as reported on this forum. (48 states etc.)

I've ridden on flat concrete, grooved concrete, frost-heaved asphalt, gravel, and dirt. The Spyder still rides like a snowmobile. It doesn't lean. It isn't supposed to lean. If it leans, it means one front wheel is off the ground and I am going way too fast! I can't corner with a pro-rider on a crotch rocket while riding The Tail of the Dragon, but I keep up with or lead any other group through the twisties.

I'm now 85. I just installed a car tire (advertised to go 75,000 miles) on the rear of my Spyder. I plan on wearing it and its offspring down to where the tread is gone.

Hang onto your Spyder, gently. It's just like being on a dance floor. You don't arm wrestle your partner while waltzing. It won't be long before you will hear and FEEL the music.

If all else fails, Google the words to The Ride by Chris Ledoux and "and enjoy your ride."

John M.
    Completed SCMC Four Corners Tour
    Rattlesnake 1,000
    Don Diego 400
    Cal 500 & 1,000
    Unicycled at South Pole, Antarctica
    Coldfoot, Alaska, to Cabo San Lucas
    4,000 mile Mexican tour to Yucatan Peninsula

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    You've been given great advice ..... After switching from two wheels to a Spyder, the best advice I got was "steer it like a car". You should also test the brakes - they may surprise you! And a light grip on the handlebars works best ..... so GUIDE it don't steer it .... unless you are going speed record fast in the twistie's ..... which you shouldn't try until you've mastered that Spyder ..... good luck and .....Mike

Ps: 99% of the folks here have learned that Real Auto tires make a big difference (I recommend Vredestein's )
    That is what I tell people "guide " it with a slight pressure forward on the opposite handlebar. I am normally on cruise control with my hands resting on top of the handlebars.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Hang in there Poprivit. I have ridden your Spyder and can attest all is normal. It was the first Spyder I ever rode and it convinced me that it was the way to go. This after decades on Harleys, with the last 5 years on a TriGlide. I should have switched sooner. It just takes a little getting used to.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I would go with the alignment. I bought a new 2021 RT Limited and I hated it. Thought it would kill me. It was my first Can Am. Owned over 30 Harleys, BMW's etc. I had to get rid of it because it handled like crap. Wish I would have found this forum to get advice before I sold it off. Really only needed an alignment in my mind now.
    Not giving up I bought a 2022 Ryker sport. New game, handled the way it should and how I expected. Only problem it was a bit small for the wife and I.
    Bought a 2021 F3S last January and I LOVE it. Handles like a dream. Just wish I would have worked out the problems with the new 2021 RT Limited.
    Dealers really should check alignment before the bike leaves the showroom. Good Luck
    2021 F3S , Grey/orange

Spyder Garage

Welcome, I agree with what everyone has said. It took me 500 miles to get the feel of riding 3 wheels and about 1000 to really start feeling comfortable on different types of roads.

As for hand brakes, here are links to the 2 that I know of:

https://www.slingmods.com/canam-spyd...ke-system-isci

https://www.martinthevlogger.com/pro...3t-f3ltd-canam

Also, an install video from Martin: https://youtu.be/Ibqh8k1yv9I
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-04-2024 at 07:25 PM.
    2015 F3-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

Hello POP, the biggest thing to watch out for is the upgrade bug, as my wife has threatened to make my pockets deeper so I cannot reach the bottom.
    By the way and
    2019 Can Am Spyder F3S
    ICSI Ride Hand Brake Kit as my right leg and foot does not work that well due to MS
    The Ultimate F3 Floorboard
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Shad Saddle Bags
    Lamonster F3 PACKRACK
    SHAD 58X in Carbon finish - Expandable TOP Case
    Pedal Box
    IPS Belt Tensioner and Handlebar Riser from Lamonster
    K&N air filter
    INNOVV K5
    Wilbers Nite Line Shocks
    RLS Cat Delete
    Floating Rotors with EBC Brakes for the front
    I am now broke

I Should mention the Boss has a 900 Ryker Ralli next to my bike
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black

Spyder Garage

Regarding the "brake pedal contortionist's nightmare". My right foot just didn't want to turn naturally inward to hit the brake pedal. It helped me considerably to install a longer brake pedal. The factory pedal is too short and too close to the bike. The other thing was getting the full length F3 floorboards which allow for infinite foot positions.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-12-2024 at 06:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

GRH - I have been looking for an extended pedal. What company sold you theirs?
    ('Course, being a Spyder part, It costs in the four figures

Spyder Garage

search EBAY or AMAZON for spyder brake pedal, several choices $20 up
    2015 F3-S , Silver