Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I spent decades riding Harleys. When my knees got bad and old age start creeping in I decided I needed a trike. So I bought a 2016 TriGlide. At first I was ok, but after awhile I realized how much work it was to ride. No more counter steering, and it was way under powered. So after 5 years I finally sold the TriGlide and bought a 2018 Spyder F3 Limited. Best decision I ever made. It handles tons better than the TriGlide. Is much more comfortable, and it has a lot more power. With the F3 I did give up a little luggage space vs the TriGlide, but we just learned to pack a little lighter. Wife is much happier with the ride also.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Pros on the RT is: when you are making left/or right turns you push thru the turns. (just like you do on a snowmobile).

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-15-2024 at 12:01 AM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greggpj View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am in the research phase of buying a trike. Used to be on two wheels, but I had to sell my Indian because of health issues. Well, those issues are resolved, and now I am ready to get back into the wind. Looking at trikes, I am in between a Tri-Glide and an RT. Apart from brand loyalty (I'm a former Indian rider, I get it), what would be the main reasons for going with an RT over a Tri-Glide? What are some drawbacks to going with an RT?

Thanks!
    I was in the same boat as you! Rode 2-wheelers for 30 years, had to move to a '14 Harley Tri-Glide due to back problems and needing more comfort. Loved it, but then had to look for even more comfort to extend my riding life and moved to a '20 RTL. Loving it too!

I did a Youtube video where I cover the whole story, what I like and don't like about the Trike I had, and my '20 RTL. You can check it out here: https://youtu.be/zjreoYRxTyI

I am definitely loving the Spyder- comfort, performance, and did I say comfort?!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    2020 RTL - switched over from 2014 Harley Tri-Glide
    CMA Chapter 1018 President, Harrisonville MO
    https://www.youtube.com/@rideblessed
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    2020 RT , Asphalt Grey Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, go with ARtraveler's comment, that covers the situation very nicely.

Spyder Garage

I have no experience with Harleys, 2 or 3 wheels (my first bike was an Indian, though, so make allowances for prejudice 😉 ), but I will speak to engineering.
    Any 3 wheeler, single front, two front or a sidecar rig, is inherently unstable when turning. Note how all trike ATVs are no longer sold; the manufacturers were being sued, left, right and sideways, and losing after the testimony of the plaintiff's M.E. professor expert witness.
    The newer Harleys have some stability systems, but the older ones pre-'19, had abs, period. The Spiders have had an elaborate system, involving wheel speed sensors, suspension lift, yaw sensor and acceleration sensors from the beginning. Sometimes Nanny, as the system is semi-affectionately known, is too solicitious, but it's almost impossible to flip a Spyder, something which cannot be said for the Harleys.
    From a safety standpoint, especially pre- '22, the Spider wins.

Spyder Garage

all this good info and the poster has NOT been back on to review these comments. only made 1 thread and not been back since Jan 27th
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I'm not a Harley guy, never was, but I think their fit & finish is awesome. Maybe the best out there, and a great dealer network too. When we had 3 hip replacements between us, we looked around and took the Spyder hands down. We are very happy.
    Coach Bob on YouTube has a video on this subject I think ... https://youtu.be/eF0Fhi3pyU4?feature=shared and one not so flattering here: https://youtu.be/qvER0ydeQ8c?feature=shared
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greggpj View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am in the research phase of buying a trike. Used to be on two wheels, but I had to sell my Indian because of health issues. Well, those issues are resolved, and now I am ready to get back into the wind. Looking at trikes, I am in between a Tri-Glide and an RT. Apart from brand loyalty (I'm a former Indian rider, I get it), what would be the main reasons for going with an RT over a Tri-Glide? What are some drawbacks to going with an RT?

Thanks!
    I can tell you that after we all took the 3 wheel class here in Washington State on Spyders, two of the three Gents who were going to go the TriGlide route changed their minds.
    Ride to ride camparison would probably be a good idea

Spyder Garage

Interesting thread. I know this is about the Tri Glide but what about the Goldwing?
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    Interesting thread. I know this is about the Tri Glide but what about the Goldwing?
    Before buying my first Spyder I sat on the Goldwing trike and though the driving position was cramped at 6'2" or 3"s and 220 lbs. Feet felt tucked to far under me to the back of the trike. If buying a GW trike, make sure it has the independent rear suspension and the steering rake change.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

A couple things about GW trikes. They were never authorized by Honda. All GW trikes came from kits supplied by aftermarket builders. I also was interested in GW trikes when I made my decision to go three wheels. The Honda dealers said the following. If you buy a trike, it will void the warranty. The dealers will NOT work on trikes. Basically, you buy a GW trike, you are on your own concerning repairs or warranty issues.

Mechanically, they are as good as HD, some will say better. I am in that group. Handling will be the same. A heavy machine with one wheel in the front, same issues with control and safety.

Cost: also up there. The price of the GW plus $15K to $20K for the triking.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

He bought the HD...
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Hope he likes it! To each his own!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

The Tri Glide rides like a dump truck, Rt rides like a caddy, the choice is simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by duke50 View Post
    The Tri Glide rides like a dump truck, Rt rides like a caddy, the choice is simple

I give a little more leeway, I call HD trikes "pickup trucks"! They come with Armstrong steering!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is a YouTube link where a fellow (former two wheeler) decides to buy a Can Am instead of a Tri-Glide.

https://youtu.be/NM6r0uuYfpQ?si=IH8KMVvGAwSCg3Cm
    Last edited by OverHillAndDale; 02-25-2024 at 05:01 PM.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by duke50 View Post
    The long time Harley dealer in town went Can-Am a few months ago, only selling side by sides and 4 wheelers so far. He said they had a used Spyder and after riding it, he said, As a Harley dealer i would never had admitted it, but the Harley 3 wheeler handled and rode like you described
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010