Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default '22 RT starting slowly after sitting on tender - replacement Battery?

I have a 2022 RT that I purchased just over a year and a half ago. We have been having some very wet weather here, so it's been sitting in the garage on a Battery Tender. It was a nice day yesterday and I had some things to take care of, so I decided to take the Spyder. When I started it after disconnecting the Tender, it turned over very slowly (gave me a VSS Fault). I had some things to take care of in another town about 25 miles from where I live. After arriving and taking care of my business, when I got back on the Spyder it almost didn't start (another VSS Fault). I had one more stop to make, this time it almost didn't start (another VSS Fault).

I have read complaints about the factory batteries. My question is what is the recommended replacement battery?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-27-2024 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2022 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

I would have the battery load tested, it only takes a second, and it gives you a start in finding this gremlin. I would say it was your battery, but you have to check the connections also, so dive in, and keep us in the loop!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

The batteries that came in new '22 RTs are trash. Due to supply chain problems (or because BRP decided to go cheap) they put an inferior imported battery in these units instead of the superior Yuasa batteries. Do what I did and replace the Haijiu 300CCA battery with a good Yuasa 350CCA one. You'll thank me for it. No more slow starts, no more VSS faults.
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by slhanks004 View Post
    The batteries that came in new '22 RTs are trash. Due to supply chain problems (or because BRP decided to go cheap) they put an inferior imported battery in these units instead of the superior Yuasa batteries. Do what I did and replace the Haijiu 300CCA battery with a good Yuasa 350CCA one. You'll thank me for it. No more slow starts, no more VSS faults.
    If you get the Yuasa, get the BS version .... they give you the ACID which you put in the battery when you want to start using it ..... follow the charging instructions EXACTLY .... don't worry about filling it with acid - it's foolproof ..... Mike

Also, IMHO keeping it on a maintainer ALL the time is not needed with the 1330 engines .... During the riding season I'm riding at least 5 times per week, so the System takes care of keeping the battery fully charged ..... if your battery starts to diminish, put it on the maintainer overnight ..... also use STAR washers under the terminals ......good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-27-2024 at 04:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yes, along the lines of what Mike says above, that’s one issue with using a battery tender permanently. It hides a battery that is on the way out. Disconnect the tender, start the bike, get to your destination and……..bang……no start after the stop! . It is always worth leaving the Spyder off the battery tender for a day or two before you head off on longer trips.

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-27-2024 at 06:11 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I bought my 2020 Spyder and picked it up in March of 2020.
    By March 2022 the factory YUASA battery was dead. Prior to its premature demise, the Spyder would turn over slowly.
    It's true, "They don't make 'em like they used to".
    I was stranded and needed an immediate replacement.
    I got a battery at Oreilly's.
    I don't have a lot of faith in modern batteries, I've also had problems with the marine batteries on my boat.
    I figured, I'd better change out the Spyder battery for the 2024 riding season, so I don't get stranded again.
    I wound up getting the NOCO LIPO battery I bought from Lamonster.
    It's supposed to last 10 times as long.
    The only problem I've found so far is that I needed to replace my battery tender with a more modern one that allows for the LIPO battery chemistry.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 03-08-2024 at 07:33 AM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you get the Yuasa, get the BS version .... they give you the ACID which you put in the battery when you want to start using it ..... follow the charging instructions EXACTLY .... don't worry about filling it with acid - it's foolproof ..... Mike

Also, IMHO keeping it on a maintainer ALL the time is not needed with the 1330 engines .... During the riding season I'm riding at least 5 times per week, so the System takes care of keeping the battery fully charged ..... if your battery starts to diminish, put it on the maintainer overnight ..... also use STAR washers under the terminals ......good luck .... Mike
    In the past when it was time to replace the battery on my bikes, I got the "BS" versions and add the acid myself. It's easy to do and simple. I only keep my bikes on the Battery Tender if they are sitting for a long time, usually during the winter.

I think I am leaning towards the Yuasa, it's the brand I have used n the past on my Yamaha. I was just curious if there any other options. I didn't think about Lamonster, till ThreeWheels mentioned them in his reply.

Spyder Garage

Ha ... Yup. In late July 2023 I purchased a Yuasa 350 cca battery to replace my OEM Yuasa in my 2019 F3S. In the end of August 2023 I purchased a new leftover 2022 STS. One of the first things I immediately did was swap out the batteries. The new Haijiu will be going down the road with the F3S this spring.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I am looking at the Yuasa YTX24HL-BS on amazon ($130) but it doesn't state its CCA rating. I Looked at the NOCO LIPO from Lamonster. I'm not sure if I want to go that way, I am limited in my Garage for power outlets and I currently have my Battery tender set up (it's a dual outlet tender, I have my Yamaha on it also). I have always had good luck with the Yuasa batteries in the past. Lamonster lists a Yuasa battery also, but on their "fitment list" it states it only fits up to a 2020 model year.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-29-2024 at 08:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
    I am looking at the Yuasa YTX24HL-BS on amazon ($130) but it doesn't state its CCA rating. I Looked at the NOCO LIPO from Lamonster. I'm not sure if I want to go that way, I am limited in my Garage for power outlets and I currently have my Battery tender set up (it's a dual outlet tender, I have my Yamaha on it also). I have always had good luck with the Yuasa batteries in the past. Lamonster lists a Yuasa battery also, but on their "fitment list" it states it only fits up to a 2020 model year.
    Another member posted at a LINK ( on Amazon ) recently, the pic showed that battery .... it's 350 CCA ......and it was $ 115.00 shipped .....Mike

Spyder Garage

From my PERSONAL experience this is typically the Battery is on it's last legs regardless of being an MC or CanAm

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    if your battery starts to diminish, put it on the maintainer overnight ..... also use STAR washers under the terminals ......good luck .... Mike
    Just to confirm. You are recommending to place the star washer between the battery post and the terminal?
    Last edited by Isopedella; 01-29-2024 at 08:19 PM.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The BRP part number for the battery comes back to that Haijiu battery. That company says it's a 350 CCA battery, but it says 300 CCA right on the case. At least some do. I wouldn't trust the thing. Kromm - the Yuasa YTX24 battery is a 350 CCA battery. Says so right on the case. They're supposed to be the same physical size. Because you have experience filling and activating a battery, I think it's best to go with the Yuasa. Be sure to give it the activation charge per the instructions.

A star washer is a type of lock washer, (it just takes up less space) and just like a split washer, or even a Nord-Lock, a lock washer goes under the head of the fastener. NOT between the two pieces that you are fastening together. Especially when it comes to an electrical connection - you want the largest surface area possible in order to make the best connection. You don't get that if you stick a lock washer in between them.

A star washer will permanently deform after it's used once. So, technically, they shouldn't be re-used..but people do. Unlike a split washer, which can usually be re-used.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for all the info. I ordered a Yuasa YTX24HL-BS off of Amazon, $129. I'll get it next Monday. Here is the picture they have on the web sight. It doesn't show the CCA, and its not listed in the description. But it might be a stock generic photo they use for all their batteries.

yuasa.jpg

Spyder Garage

Kromm...I bought a new '22 RT last April and had the same issues you had. Replaced it with Yuasa also. Didn't notice what oem brand was.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Battery arrived earlier than Scheduled. Amazon stated Feb 5th. I got it on Jan 30th. We have a lot of rain predicted for the next week, but got a break today so I took advantage of it. The one on the right is the POS that the factory had installed. Major difference. No VSS code on start up.

battery.jpg

Spyder Garage

The one on the right is the POS that the factory had installed. Major difference. No VSS code on start up.

battery.jpg
    I am going to have to do the same as you Kromm. Slow turn and VSS codes. I don't keep my Spyder (or any of my seasonal batteries) on a tender all the time. I usually rotate them onto a tender every couple of weeks. It's a real shame these batteries are only lasting a couple of seasons. In any case, I am pretty sure I am going with a LIPO. What is this difference you are referring to?
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Im wonderng if there is an alternator with higher output to help resolve the slow death of the batteries?
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The other thing about that Chinese battery is that it only comes factory activated. That’s what the -FA means. And who knows how long ago that was. On reviewing the parts lists, it appears BRP made the switch for MY 2022. That’s the first year that it showed as a clean part number and not as a replacement number. But, that’s just a guess out of curiosity. I ran the thing for the first year. My new Yuasa is on the bench waiting to be activated for spring. Get them soon. Stock is dwindling.

P.S. No, the alternator is not the problem, nor is a different one available. They never should have put a 300 CCA battery in there in the first place.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 02-06-2024 at 04:19 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    I am going to have to do the same as you Kromm. Slow turn and VSS codes. I don't keep my Spyder (or any of my seasonal batteries) on a tender all the time. I usually rotate them onto a tender every couple of weeks. It's a real shame these batteries are only lasting a couple of seasons. In any case, I am pretty sure I am going with a LIPO. What is this difference you are referring to?
    The difference was how it was turning over after I put the new battery in. From Day One when I picked it up, it always seemed like on startup it was turning over kinda slow. With the new battery, it spins right up.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-07-2024 at 07:45 AM.

Spyder Garage

The difference was how it was turning over after I put the new battery in. From Day One when I picked it up, it always seemed like on startup it was turning over kinda slow. With the new battery, it spins right up.
    Oh OK, I understand now. I installed the NOCO NLP20 from LaMonster and my Spyder turns over better than it ever has. That Haijiu is pure crap and should have never been used by BRP. The size and especially weight difference between the OEM and NOCO battery is astounding!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

For y’all ordering your batteries on line, what do you do with the old ones?
    2012 RSS
    2022 RT Limited
    2021 Ryker 600
    2021 600 , Black/Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
    For y’all ordering your batteries on line, what do you do with the old ones?
    Take it to any Auto parts store ..... they are actually worth money or keep it, if you buy from a local source in the future they may want it or add a CORE charge ..... JMHO ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Question: the Yuasa instructions online say that after you've added the electrolyte from the bottles that the "...new battery is approximately 75-80% charged. After the “stand” period described in step 6, charge the battery to bring it to a full state of charge. The battery charger used for initial charging should be able to charge at 12.8+ volts for an AGM battery."

so for that last line, do you need a special charger to deliver a constant 12.8 volts or will my Optimate 4 (which analyzes and adjusts the voltage as it charges) do the job?
    Mike and Melissa
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

2022 Spyder Sea-to-Sky

2022 Sea to Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

You're good to go, charge it up!!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-07-2024 at 06:08 PM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl