Spyder Garage

Default Fitted a 235/60R15 to the Rear & 195/70R14's to the Front - 2010 RS in Australia

Greetings everyone.

I am wet behind the ears new to Spyders, but I rode the RS 800km back to Melbourne in rain and hailstorm. The front tyres had life left, but the rear tyre was down to the indicators. I struggled to find a Kenda and decided to go rogue; so I had a Toyo 235/60R15 fitted to the back. A little shave here and there made it clear nicely; with the rear lifted slightly, it looks awesome.

As you guys and girls would have already guessed, Nanny and her pals were totally unimpressed, codes flashing, and limp home mode regardless of the number of resets. Before replacing the rear & going back to a 225/50, I decided it may be worth exploring larger fronts to get closer to the original 30mm diameter difference between front and rear. I had 195/70R14s fitted to the front rims and discovered that the old Kendas were not in the best of health anyway. Removed the front mud guards, coaxed the guard supports a little to clear the rubber, and went for a test ride. Nanny and her mates are super happy now! I stopped and dropped the air pressures to 17psi all around.

OMG, this Spyder is like a great handling armchair, no more harshness, plush over bumps, no more overseer, and smooooth. I am now in the process of spacing the front mudguards up 40mm to clear as per the original look. But, to say I am that I am rapt with the improvement would be a gross understatement, I can't wait for the next long ride.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-26-2024 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)