Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RTL - looking for battery upgrade and replacement suggestions?

I am looking at replacing the battery on my 2018 RTL soon. Looking for suggestions on what battery to get; I am not ready for a lithium but wonder if there are any other upgrades over the original? Also is it difficult to get at the battery? I looked online and couldn't find any how to videos. The weather here is still cold so I haven't even taken anything apart yet - just looking ahead.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-26-2024 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    I am looking at replacing the battery on my 2018 RTL soon. Looking for suggestions on what battery to get; I am not ready for a lithium but wonder if there are any other upgrades over the original? Also is it difficult to get at the battery? I looked online and couldn't find any how to videos. The weather here is still cold so I haven't even taken anything apart yet - just looking ahead.
    Thanks.
    I like Yuasa batteries ..... if you remove the hood access is easier , but not necessary .... get a BS type, you get a " fool-proof " package of batt. acid ..... Considering your weather is similar to mine ( winter ) I would not fill the battery and put it in the Spyder until spring .... charge it according to the instructions that come with the battery.... I learned a long time ago to wrap a strap around the battery BEFORE you put it in ....It will make REMOVAL super easy when the time comes .... notice how every battery for cars and trucks come with a strap - it's because it works .... good luck ...Mike

Spyder Garage

You did not mention if the battery is the original. If so, if six years of service was given by it, I would replace with another just like it. Six years from a battery is good.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post
    You did not mention if the battery is the original. If so, if six years of service was given by it, I would replace with another just like it. Six years from a battery is good.
    Yes, the original, I should have mentioned that! That's why I am asking because it actually still is good but I don't want to take a chance one more year

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I like Yuasa batteries ..... if you remove the hood access is easier , but not necessary .... get a BS type, you get a " fool-proof " package of batt. acid ..... Considering your weather is similar to mine ( winter ) I would not fill the battery and put it in the Spyder until spring .... charge it according to the instructions that come with the battery.... I learned a long time ago to wrap a strap around the battery BEFORE you put it in ....It will make REMOVAL super easy when the time comes .... notice how every battery for cars and trucks come with a strap - it's because it works .... good luck ...Mike
    Is it easy to figure out what to do once you get in there? Just wondering what tools I need and what needs to be taken off.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Take a couple of photos of your battery cables. So you know how they go back in place. I recommend going with the Yuasa Battery YTX24HL. Your Spyder Owner Manual should be a big help.
    Good Luck on Your Mission. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Is it easy to figure out what to do once you get in there? Just wondering what tools I need and what needs to be taken off.
    Yes .... you unscrew the small panel in front of the battery, remove it......then take-off the rubber strap and metal hold-down .... remove batt. ..... after new Batt. is fully charged use Star washers under cable connections wrap a strap around it and put it in ......Mike

Spyder Garage

Yes, the original, I should have mentioned that! That's why I am asking because it actually still is good but I don't want to take a chance one more year
    I replaced with a correctly prepared add the acid type Yuasa.

Just a thought. If you were to fit a Cheep as Chips voltmeter - why you could, at a glance, keep an eye on your voltage.
    Tells you when volts are more than normal and high for longer than normal, and therefore charging a failing battery.

Something like this. I did the sticky foam Velcro mount so I can remove it when I want.

4 v m s-l1600.jpg v meter20230402_121554.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-26-2024 at 03:17 PM.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    I replaced with a correctly prepared add the acid type Yuasa.

Just a thought. If you were to fit a Cheep as Chips voltmeter - why you could, at a glance, keep an eye on your voltage.
    Tells you when volts are more than normal and high for longer than normal, and therefore charging a failing battery.

Something like this. I did the sticky foam Velcro mount so I can remove it when I want.

4 v m s-l1600.jpg v meter20230402_121554.jpg
    If you put a voltmeter in, be sure to connect to 'key-on' circuit or a switch, not directly to battery or you will slowly drain the battery.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-26-2024 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I replaced mine with an Odyssey Battery PC680 Battery but see their price has gone way up. Lamonster Garage has several options for all Spyders if you want to support the host of our forum.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    If you put a voltmeter in, be sure to connect to 'key-on' circuit or a switch, not directly to battery or you will slowly drain the battery.
    Crikey I thought that would be SOP, but I guess some may be Educimated as to where to wire it that's a live circuit with the key on.

FWIW I located a plug under the cover. Checked for a 'Live with Key On' wire and an Earth. Stripped and laid the wires over the contact probes (male side) and refitted the female side of the plug.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-27-2024 at 12:18 AM.
    2017 F3 Ltd