14 15.22%
  • Cruiser Spyder - Essentialist

4 4.35%
  • Cruiser Spyder - Commando

5 5.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding Gear Poll

What's your take on riding gear when riding your Spyder on the road, either for short trips or long a long cruise?
    This is not about brands, what brand is better, right or wrong just curious as to how the forum considers safety vs. comfort and convenience.

Pick which Spyder you have (sport model or cruiser) then select the level of gear usage that most accurately reflects your use. I'm hoping by doing it this way I can make some comparisons between the sport riders and cruisers.

Here are the definitions for this poll:
    Track Ready - Helmet, Jacket w/Armor, Gloves, Riding Pants and Riding Boots. - All Track rated.
    Safety First - Helmet, Jacket w/Armor, Gloves and Boots. Gear is mandatory to me.
    Head and Hands - Helmet and Gloves. I have to wear something.
    Essentialist - Helmet. Protect my brain, that's all that matters.
    Commando - What gear? What I have on at the moment is what I wear.

I ALWAYS fall in the Safety-First category. Even on 90-degree summer days, I wear one of my Motorcycle jackets with armor, a Modular Helmet, riding gloves and riding boots. Yes, it's a pain. Yes it takes me several more minutes to gear up. Yes, it's a hassle to have to carry in all this stuff and stow it somewhere. In the summer you sweat like a pig, and its restrictive at times.

I've noticed a lot more Can-Am Rykers and Spyders lately, and it’s interesting to see that when compared to bikers, there seems to be more Can-Am riders without a lot of gear when compared to motorcycles. Not sure if trike riders being relatively new to the scene don't buy into the safety thing, are more "Harley Davidson" minded or perhaps there is a perception of "more safety" due to being on 3 wheels and not 2.

Thoughts, comments are always welcome!
    Last edited by broderp; 01-12-2024 at 08:38 AM.
    2023 Spyder F3-S, Manta Green
    2023 Ryker 600 ACE, Black on Black (The wife's toy )
    2020 Kawasaki Z900, Candy Plasma Blue

Spyder Garage

I agree 100% with the first sentence of your 4th paragraph. Therefore, I'm uninterested in how other riders prepare themselves for riding. Just my $.02!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Cruiser Spyder - Safety First. ATGATT.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have no issues wearing shorts and a tee shirt for any rides. I hate the bulkiness of the gear and typically I stop riding when temps go above 90F. Heat sucks.
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I push my RT pretty hard and I'm no spring chicken. I always wear ATGATT because a get-off hurts (and every few years the insurance co buys me new gear!).
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I picked head and hands, though we also wear boots on interstate days and local rides depending on the weather. There are different combos for different situations.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Don't know why but I think I'm not going to be sliding so much as just a sudden thud if I ever have an accident on the Spyder. Probably because I'm expecting some numb nuts to want the section of road I own. Still wear everything though like I'm on my Harley.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

ATGATT for me and for those hot days, an evaporative cooling vest helps a lot! I wear it under my airtex shirt with Level II armor...so the air flows through...really helps!

Spyder Garage

Casual spyder : ankle high boots part of everyday attire anyway, 1jacket (has armor) of several to rotate through depending weather/clean or not, occasionally rarely gloves ( thin mechanic gloves prevent sunburn stay available in frunk) maybe thick winter gloves. Maybe chaps
    Definitely helmet. Previous injury just about required even for walking.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I am a ATGATT.
    All my gear is from my motorcycle days.
    I have several leather jackets with armor to chose from.
    A couple of full face helmets.
    Leather riding pants ( cooler weather ) and gloves.
    Since I went to three wheels I do wear normal jeans instead of kevlar and hiking/work boots.
    The motorcycle boots and kevlar jeans were worn out.
    Have seen to many people get hurt not wearing gear.

Spyder Garage

I pick Head and Hands, plus I wear jeans, leather riding boots ( above ankles) Jacket, full face Helmet( the Helmet is required in Vermont).

I also ride on the interstates, and 2nd class roads.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    I am a ATGATT.
    All my gear is from my motorcycle days.
    I have several leather jackets with armor to chose from.
    A couple of full face helmets.
    Leather riding pants ( cooler weather ) and gloves.
    Since I went to three wheels I do wear normal jeans instead of kevlar and hiking/work boots.
    The motorcycle boots and kevlar jeans were worn out.
    Have seen to many people get hurt not wearing gear.
    +1.

I've had friends (and my husband) tell me that now I'm riding on 3, I can stop wearing so much safety gear.

But when I've done it, it just doesn't feel 'right' to me. I guess the ATGATT approach is too much ingrained in me to switch, except very occasionally.
    2016 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodswoman View Post
    +1.

I've had friends (and my husband) tell me that now I'm riding on 3, I can stop wearing so much safety gear.

But when I've done it, it just doesn't feel 'right' to me. I guess the ATGATT approach is too much ingrained in me to switch, except very occasionally.
    It's a great habit NOT to break!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

High end Shoei full coverage helmet, BRP non armored jacket, long jeans or cargos, MX gloves, Vans for shoes, never boots.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    Cruiser Spyder - Safety First. ATGATT.
    For anyone: ATGATT is an acronym for All The Gear All The Time
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

Wife and I always travel with ATGATT. Motoport Kevlar pants and a Aerostich Darien or leather. But will admit, at times I will run an errand not wearing a jacket, But always at least jeans, boots, gloves and a real helmet. I have been to several Spyder gatherings and see way too many riders with shorts and flip flops like a day on the beach. I don't get it.......
    2021 RT LT

Spyder Garage

Having been a motorcycle instructor for many years with the Canada Safety Council it is safety first for me, ATGATT. Also having worked with the local traffic police putting together motorcycle accident statistics, after going to many accident scenes it really drives the point home about ATGATT.
    I guess I can see riders thinking having 3 wheels under them would be safer, I believe would be a false assumption. Riding is the best thing in the world for me and many others but it does have a higher level of risk, protect yourself and ride as safely as possible are my thoughts.
    2022 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

ATGATT. Having gone down once on my old Yamaha 1300 just a few blocks from my home, and seeing the mess my leather jacket and helmet were while still fracturing 4 ribs and a shoulder and a headache that lasted 6 months....I do not find it an inconvenience at all to up my odds in getting home in one piece. Yes the risks are less on 3, but the odds remain better when I dress for "success".

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJohn View Post
    For anyone: ATGATT is an acronym for All The Gear All The Time
    Thank you for clearing that out !
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

For wife and me: Shoei and HVC modular helmets - top end Rukka jackets and pants and Oxford boots. Halvarson leather gloves.
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For those of all thinking you don't need as much gear on 3 wheels. I can tell you otherwise.

I debated about getting the seesoft level 2 spinal pad when I bought my summer mesh armour jacket.

I even debated about wearing the same armour the day I went to OC bikefest because it was a nice warm day in September and I wanted to enjoy the breeze at the beach as I was going down the coastal highway.

But I still put on all of my gear begrudgingly and went on my way to the beach. I never made it there.

I was rear ended while stopping at a light in Delaware and knocked off the Spyder and out into the intersection and landed on my back and head.

Thanks to my gear I was able to walk away with one hell of a headache that lasted for days and there was a bruise around where the spinal pad dug into me and my ass was black and blue from my corbin launching me hard enough that the bracket for the drivers back rest penetrated the leather of the seat and my jeans as it launched me.

I will never debate with myself if am going to wear my gear ever again. I have been lucky with the mishaps I have had so far and was able to walk away from them, I figure I shouldn't push my luck any harder by riding unprotected.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 01-14-2024 at 12:09 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Chose ATGATT based on habits from motorcycle days. Haven't yet ridden a Spyder (except the one day Trike course). The ink is still wet on my 2023 Spyder RTL purchase and expecting to take delivery in a few days. Before I saw this thread I was considering only helmet/gloves for summer riding on the Spyder. but, after reading through, guess I'll continue with ATGATT.

My helmet is 10+ years old, so I'll be updating it soon. General recommendation is to change helmet if it is dropped or 5+ years old, whichever happens first.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rational View Post
    Chose ATGATT based on habits from motorcycle days. Haven't yet ridden a Spyder (except the one day Trike course). The ink is still wet on my 2023 Spyder RTL purchase and expecting to take delivery in a few days. Before I saw this thread I was considering only helmet/gloves for summer riding on the Spyder. but, after reading through, guess I'll continue with ATGATT.

My helmet is 10+ years old, so I'll be updating it soon. General recommendation is to change helmet if it is dropped or 5+ years old, whichever happens first.
    DON'T CHANGE GOOD HABITS! (And check the age of the rest of your gear too).

Spyder Garage

(I took the survey, so this post is just commentary)
    Recalling the 60's when my ride was a beat up Cushman Scooter...no riding gear at all (lucky I survived)!
    Over the past 40 or so years ATGATT kept getting more & more the standard.
    Nowadays I really dislike extreme hot or cold, so added to the standard ATGATT I add an electric jacket liner, heated seat and grips in cold riding; & for hot riding it's a mesh armored jacket with a small cooler strapped on the back seat that pumps ice-water thru the vest. The pump is controlled via a timer on the dash and when the pump kicks on, it's almost orgasmic!
    One final piece of safety gear is an inflatable vest worn outside the jacket, tethered to the bike. In case of a get-off it auto-inflates....hope I never have that happen! Ride like we're invisible...
    Last edited by BamaJohn; 01-15-2024 at 07:12 AM.
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

A short errand I’ll wear just about anything. Otherwise it’s boots, aramid jeans, woven Kevlar no armor jacket, good helmet, gloves but maybe on the thin side.
    Vince F in Niagara Falls
    2022 Spyder F3 Special Edition
    2020 Ryker Rally, sold
    2022 F3S , Stock Lamonster black diamond Monolith Black Satin