Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Looking for 'increased load' shock suggestions - 2023 F3-S

I searched and read a ton of threads regarding replacing shocks. Most threads I found are based around racing, riding through twisty roads, and even some scary info about shocks that have failed as well as arguments made by some regarding how some company's products raise ride height and how this negatively impacts alignment or handling. All points to consider, but I cannot find information specific to use based on load or weight.

So here is my situation. I don't race and I don't drive like "Martin the Vlogger" but what I do have to contend with is weight. I'm a big boy weighing in around 280lbs with gear on. I likely will ride 95% solo, and commute to work with the occasional weekend trip (under 30 miles) with the wife who comes in around 150lbs with gear. With a weight range of about 280-430lbs I’m concerned with bottoming out the rear over bumps, especially when riding two up.

Being my first Spyder, I have no comparison on what a bad ride is vs a good one. I would like easy adjustability with minimal tools that can be adjustable on the fly for the occasional two up ride. I'm not interested in sway bars or links. I’m not opposed to swapping springs if there are viable options.

I’ve looked at the usual suspects as an upgrade:
    • Elka
    • M2
    • Race Tech
    • Ikon
    • Fox
    • Wilbers
    • BRP Occasional Two Up shock

The forum would have me believe the stock shocks are crap, (I have KYB on the front and SACHS on the rear). So, given the criteria above, does anything stick out as the best bang for the buck?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-08-2024 at 05:51 PM.
    2023 Spyder F3-S, Manta Green
    2023 Ryker 600 ACE, Black on Black (The wife's toy )
    2020 Kawasaki Z900, Candy Plasma Blue