Thread: Darwin award

Spyder Garage

Default Darwin award

Somehow they thought this would turn out okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln1FNbHAotI
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

DUH!
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've lightly wet kindling with gasoline, to use to start a fire ...... However I wait 10 to 15 minutes and let it dry / air out before lighting it .... I've never had anything like what they experienced ..... It's the gas FUMES that caused it to violently explode ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    Somehow they thought this would turn out okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln1FNbHAotI
    Idiots!

But you know the REALLY idiotic thing about all this?! ^^

It's that they were so 'proud' of doing this that they bleedin' well posted it up on the interwebs for the entire World to see how appallingly STUPID they are!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, I suppose stupidity is supposed to hurt. Growing up as a kid, we sat all types of fires (under the supervision of my dad). But we never used gas. We would use something like kerosene. Not nearly as explosive, but still something to be careful with. But never gas.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Too painful to watch!! Stupid hurts.
    2011 Can AM RT-S SE5 Red

Spyder Garage

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I wonder if they were the same ones that ate "lawn fudge"?
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

First prize this year is a flare gun for lighting bonfires from 100 feet away.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    First prize this year is a flare gun for lighting bonfires from 100 feet away.
    Now that I would like to see!
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I've set many a fire in my day on wildland clearing operations. 1/4 gasoline mixed with 3/4 used motor oil. This eliminates the explosion factor, and you get a hotter, longer burning starter fire. This mix also adheres to the material better. Put the accelerant at the base of the pile on the leeward side. Never on top, never on the windward side. A quart of this mix is more than enough for most any burn pile. Setting the fire at the base on the leeward side will consume much more of the material without any effort on your part. If you do like most and start on the windward side, the wind will push the fire through the middle and go out. Leaving a lot of unburned material that you'll have to move to the center by hand.

People get it wrong nearly 100% of the time.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-09-2024 at 12:21 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I've lightly wet kindling with gasoline, to use to start a fire ...... However I wait 10 to 15 minutes and let it dry / air out before lighting it .... I've never had anything like what they experienced ..... It's the gas FUMES that caused it to violently explode ..... Mike
    True, most people don't realize that it is only the fumes, or vapor, that burns. Liquid fuel will not burn. If the vapor burns fast enough, it's called an explosion.

Spyder Garage

We always used kerosene or used motor oil. I have seen idiots light brush piles with gasoline and I would always get away as fast as I could. Hopefully they learned a lesson.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    True, most people don't realize that it is only the fumes, or vapor, that burns. Liquid fuel will not burn. If the vapor burns fast enough, it's called an explosion.
    Is it true Ron that firemen are actually arsonists at heart but with the ability to control their urges? I've done a lot of burning over the years (blackberry control), and my go to tools are simply a weed sprayer filled with diesel backed up with a leaf blower. Big fire with little effort.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Is it true Ron that firemen are actually arsonists at heart but with the ability to control their urges? I've done a lot of burning over the years (blackberry control), and my go to tools are simply a weed sprayer filled with diesel backed up with a leaf blower. Big fire with little effort.
    This is what we used most of the time. Called a 'Drip Torch'. For bigger jobs we used the AIDS machine. Airborne Incendiary Device System. I think they've changed the name because 'AIDS Machine' was somewhat unpopular after awhile.

Mounted to a helicopter, it was ping pong balls filled with napalm, then injected automatically with a chemical agent that ignited after they rolled out and dropped.

We also had small cans of napalm (they were small PVC glue cans). There was a blasting cap attached to a 2nd lid that you swapped out when you wanted to use it. The blasting cap went down into the napalm and had a zip cord out the top with a small, wooden T for pulling it. You swapped the caps, pulled the zip cord, an you had some seconds before the blasting cap went off and spewed lit napalm for about 20 feet.

I really enjoyed the fire department. Starting them is a lot more fun than putting them out! ;-)

Drip Torch.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-09-2024 at 06:35 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yeah. The best job in the world is the one you like doing and enjoy the results.