Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Spyder RT-S with faded switches - do I just need new switches?

Bike only has 2600 miles on it. The switches are for the parking brake, heated grips, suspension, and fog lights. Am I correct in thinking that I just need to buy new switches? There’s nothing out there like labels or such that I could put on these or over these, correct?

I attached photos of my switches, and also photos of the stock switches to show how they used to look.

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-06-2024 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SASpyder View Post
    Bike only has 2600 miles on it. The switches are for the parking brake, heated grips, suspension, and fog lights. Am I correct in thinking that I just need to buy new switches? There’s nothing out there like labels or such that I could put on these or over these, correct?

I attached photos of my switches, and also photos of the stock switches to show how they used to look.

Thank you!
    The rocker part of those switches just pops off with light pressure...I think they even made a tool specifically for that task...Replacing just the rocker part would not facilitate the removal of the switch from the dash...GOOD LUCK...larryd

https://rockerswitchpros.com/product/tool/
    Last edited by larryd; 01-07-2024 at 02:49 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No matter how you accomplish this ....it's going to be a bit pricey ...... good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SASpyder View Post

Thank you!
    Though it only has 2600 miles on it, is it parked out in the SA sun all day? It's likely you'll have to buy the whole switch just to get those covers (unless someone's got a wreck for parts).
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

First off, you absolutely need that tool to safely pop the caps off without damaging the switch underneath. Those switches are made by Carling, and the switch model is the Contura. You can get replacement caps at numerous places. You can even get custom engraved ones. Here's a link to a marine specific site, but it gives you an idea of what you're looking for...

https://fpmarine.com/products/c5-eng...47035990114591
    Last edited by Jetfixer; 01-07-2024 at 04:22 PM.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Luckily, here in Oz, our Carling switches come with a green removal tool specifically to remove the top of the switch as we have places like Jaycar that sell various switch tops that allow you to customise to suit. Take a look on Amazon as they have tons of different switch tops.

The actual switch shouldn't be affected by the sun, it looks more like a cosmetic issue.

Just be aware of what you are buying as there are two, maybe more, types of switch covers. Some are more rounded than others and will look out of place next to the more squarer type.

See examples below.

SK0928-laser-etched-driving-lights-cover-for-illuminated-rocker-switchImageMain-515.jpg

SZ1923-2-way-illuminated-blue-rocker-switch-panelImageMain-515.jpg

SK0914-spdt-dual-illuminated-rocker-switch-with-labels-and-interchangeable-covers-blueImageMain-.jpg

51IKx3dJ4FL._SL1000_.jpg

Spyder Garage

I like the last one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Hello,
    I just bought this RTS with the switches already faded
    I purchased the new factory replacement oem switches from Partszila
    They weren’t too bad.
    So I guess I need the green tool to take the tops off as switches light up and all work

On another note, does anyone know if you can do the same thing with the red Kill-switch?
    Mine is faded and the new control cost $439, ouch!
    I bet I’m out of luck there because it’s not the same kind of switch. I’m sure.
    Any good ideas on maybe painting the old one?

Thank you.
    Last edited by SASpyder; 01-08-2024 at 12:16 AM.