Spyder Garage

Default Second Impressions

Took another RT demo ride today. If this unseasonable weather would hold, I would do it weekly until my RT-S came in, just to get the feel for the new ride. Here are a few more thoughts to add to my first review. I will say that the RT-S felt much more comfortable and familiar on the first ride, with a couple more days studying it and familiarizing myself with it on the dealership floor behind me, too.

The Ride: Felt much better the second time around. It is different than the GS/RS and takes a while to get used to. The first ride, I thought it wallowed. On the second, the corners felt firmer and more controlled. It was probably a matter of making minor adjustments in my riding style. It does seem to have a tendency to oversteer, and dive into a corner sometimes. This could be from a bit different steering geometry, a "lean steer" tendency, or possibly slight changes in the steering. My feeling was that it was a bit prone to be influenced by the way you lean, more than the RS. I'm sure it will become more natural with time in the seat. I'd still like an aftermarket swaybar. BTW, it will not steer while stopped on pavement, either, so that alone is not a sure sign of trouble with updated GS steering.

Power: It still feels more than adequate as long as the revs are up. Very smooth and controlled. Comes alive at five grand. I'm getting spoiled by the fly-by-wire throttle. I don't miss that resistance at all. Got a chance at a few hills and curves today (no mountains in Michigan), and the RT-S ate them all up, accelerating at will. Horsepower junkies may not be satisfied, but a worn out old racer like me will be perfectly happy. Remember, the Top Fuel cars that do 340 mph now only did 200 when I was driving them...I'm easy to please.

Comfort: I'm getting more used to the high bumstop. Still feels odd to me, but certainly not uncomfortable. I'm just not used to it. Got a chance to switch quickly from BMW to RT-S to BMW, and I certainly noticed to luxury and comfort of the Spyder seat. I will be able to triple my mileage before I start to squirm, for sure! My knee never cried out for a change of position, but I did try the spoilers as highway pegs. Very sturdy and in a nice place. They will need scuff covers for sure. I purposely sought out some rough road and bumps. Not Cadillac soft, but very comfortable and steady. You're really gonna like the Ryde!

Fit & Finish: This demo wasn't quite as good as the first I rode. Fit is splendid, even, and tight, but most panels showed a hint or more of orange peel in the paintjob. It is a personal thing, but this makes me crazy, especially on a black vehicle. I will admit that the Spyder was better than most cars coming off the line these days, but it still saddens me. Today's urethane paints are sensitive to orange peel, and it cannot all be buffed out. I hope mine is better than this demo was. Sorry, too many bike and car shows under my belt. BTW, the rear tire was off center by about 3/8". Not a misalignment in the fender brackets this time (there are none). Most people will never notice.

Audio: Tried the external speakers again. They seem to work well, but I can't seem to get used to them. I like the less distracting sound from my helmet speakers. For those of you that like them, they will be good. Switching modes and changing stations was a challenge. I am not familiar enough with the controls yet, and the display screen is pretty small for old eyes with bifocals. If you buy an RT, be sure and spend plenty of static time playing with the radio, mode changes, and setting your presets. Add pushing the buttons to your parking lot practice routine.

Rider Protection: Compared to my BMW RT, which has a wider and taller than stock, Cee Bailey's windshield, the Spyder was very still. I felt more wind pressure and cold at my back, riding solo, but far less wind on the hands and shoulders. My BMW RT is good...the RT-S is better! Kept the windshield down most of the way. Wind noise better than my Beemer, too. Probably quiet as a mouse in another helmet. My Scorpion is not a quiet helmet! Heated grips on low are slightly warmer than my BMW. Grip controls are conveniently located.

Me: Still grinning, still positive I did the right thing in ordering. Only drawback is that after carefully ignoring the fact that I had pre-ordered one, I am now getting impatient for delivery. After the wait for the first PE, I thought I had this figured out, but the demo rides exposed my weakness. Oh well, patience is highly over-rated anyway!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

We feel your pain.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txtq29e7KQo"]Take That - Patience[/ame]
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    BTW, the rear tire was off center by about 3/8". Not a misalignment in the fender brackets this time (there are none). Most people will never notice.

I'm wondering what caused the rear tire to be off center. Is the swingarm shifted or the wheel not centered in the swingarm or am I missing something here? I remember that the early BMW R1100RT's up through, I believe, the 1998 year model characteristically pulled to the right and one of the reasons is probably that the rear wheel does not track perfectly in line with the front. I'm sure the RT-S has none of this or you would have mentioned it. My 2000 model pulls very slightly to the right, not usually noticeable, but I wonder if this could effect the steering on the RT-S.

I got to sit on an RT-S at the Dallas Trade Show but I still haven't ridden one. My R1100RT with a taller and wider AeroFlow windshield has the best wind and weather protection I have ever ridden behind so I am impressed that the RT-S is even better. The local dealer is expecting a demo soon and I'm really looking forward to riding one.

Very nice ride report, Scotty. Thank you.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Took another RT demo ride today. If this unseasonable weather would hold, I would do it weekly until my RT-S came in, just to get the feel for the new ride. Here are a few more thoughts to add to my first review. I will say that the RT-S felt much more comfortable and familiar on the first ride, with a couple more days studying it and familiarizing myself with it on the dealership floor behind me, too.

The Ride: Felt much better the second time around. It is different than the GS/RS and takes a while to get used to. The first ride, I thought it wallowed. On the second, the corners felt firmer and more controlled. It was probably a matter of making minor adjustments in my riding style. It does seem to have a tendency to oversteer, and dive into a corner sometimes. This could be from a bit different steering geometry, a "lean steer" tendency, or possibly slight changes in the steering. My feeling was that it was a bit prone to be influenced by the way you lean, more than the RS. I'm sure it will become more natural with time in the seat. I'd still like an aftermarket swaybar. BTW, it will not steer while stopped on pavement, either, so that alone is not a sure sign of trouble with updated GS steering.

Power: It still feels more than adequate as long as the revs are up. Very smooth and controlled. Comes alive at five grand. I'm getting spoiled by the fly-by-wire throttle. I don't miss that resistance at all. Got a chance at a few hills and curves today (no mountains in Michigan), and the RT-S ate them all up, accelerating at will. Horsepower junkies may not be satisfied, but a worn out old racer like me will be perfectly happy. Remember, the Top Fuel cars that do 340 mph now only did 200 when I was driving them...I'm easy to please.

Comfort: I'm getting more used to the high bumstop. Still feels odd to me, but certainly not uncomfortable. I'm just not used to it. Got a chance to switch quickly from BMW to RT-S to BMW, and I certainly noticed to luxury and comfort of the Spyder seat. I will be able to triple my mileage before I start to squirm, for sure! My knee never cried out for a change of position, but I did try the spoilers as highway pegs. Very sturdy and in a nice place. They will need scuff covers for sure. I purposely sought out some rough road and bumps. Not Cadillac soft, but very comfortable and steady. You're really gonna like the Ryde!

Fit & Finish: This demo wasn't quite as good as the first I rode. Fit is splendid, even, and tight, but most panels showed a hint or more of orange peel in the paintjob. It is a personal thing, but this makes me crazy, especially on a black vehicle. I will admit that the Spyder was better than most cars coming off the line these days, but it still saddens me. Today's urethane paints are sensitive to orange peel, and it cannot all be buffed out. I hope mine is better than this demo was. Sorry, too many bike and car shows under my belt. BTW, the rear tire was off center by about 3/8". Not a misalignment in the fender brackets this time (there are none). Most people will never notice.

Audio: Tried the external speakers again. They seem to work well, but I can't seem to get used to them. I like the less distracting sound from my helmet speakers. For those of you that like them, they will be good. Switching modes and changing stations was a challenge. I am not familiar enough with the controls yet, and the display screen is pretty small for old eyes with bifocals. If you buy an RT, be sure and spend plenty of static time playing with the radio, mode changes, and setting your presets. Add pushing the buttons to your parking lot practice routine.

Rider Protection: Compared to my BMW RT, which has a wider and taller than stock, Cee Bailey's windshield, the Spyder was very still. I felt more wind pressure and cold at my back, riding solo, but far less wind on the hands and shoulders. My BMW RT is good...the RT-S is better! Kept the windshield down most of the way. Wind noise better than my Beemer, too. Probably quiet as a mouse in another helmet. My Scorpion is not a quiet helmet! Heated grips on low are slightly warmer than my BMW. Grip controls are conveniently located.

Me: Still grinning, still positive I did the right thing in ordering. Only drawback is that after carefully ignoring the fact that I had pre-ordered one, I am now getting impatient for delivery. After the wait for the first PE, I thought I had this figured out, but the demo rides exposed my weakness. Oh well, patience is highly over-rated anyway!

Thanks for sharing your second experience with us.
    The wait is getting harder by each day,
    Still no Demo here yet
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    I'm wondering what caused the rear tire to be off center. Is the swingarm shifted or the wheel not centered in the swingarm or am I missing something here? I remember that the early BMW R1100RT's up through, I believe, the 1998 year model characteristically pulled to the right and one of the reasons is probably that the rear wheel does not track perfectly in line with the front. I'm sure the RT-S has none of this or you would have mentioned it. My 2000 model pulls very slightly to the right, not usually noticeable, but I wonder if this could effect the steering on the RT-S.

I got to sit on an RT-S at the Dallas Trade Show but I still haven't ridden one. My R1100RT with a taller and wider AeroFlow windshield has the best wind and weather protection I have ever ridden behind so I am impressed that the RT-S is even better. The local dealer is expecting a demo soon and I'm really looking forward to riding one.

Very nice ride report, Scotty. Thank you.

Cotton
    I stared at the rear wheel thing for at least an hour, took measurements, and studied things well. Suspension dimensions match the GS Spyder, and all seems well with the world. Could have been an optical illusion, but the tape seldom lies. All I can come up with is that the plastic fender is centered slightly differently. The Spyder handles symmetrically and steers straight. To be honest, most people will never notice the tiny misalignment. I think it may be inherent in the breed, but I haven't another RT handy to compare. I only mentioned it because some GS owners had a similar issue, but much worse. Strictly a body alignment sort of thing, IMO. Not a problem, just a curiosity!

I haven't ridden with an AeroFlow shield for years. Not sure my Cee Bailey's provides quite the same degree of protection. I do think you will find the Spyder RT shield to be comparable, if not better. I am not getting rid of my R1100RTP, BTW. It will certainly rack up less mileage than before...and stay cleaner. It is getting to be confusing talking about two different RTs.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I am not getting rid of my R1100RTP, BTW. It will certainly rack up less mileage than before...and stay cleaner. It is getting to be confusing talking about two different RTs.

Don't plan to get rid of my R1100RT, either. It's the best riding road bike I've ever owned. I intended to put a Cee Bailey windshield on mine but my son got one for his R1150RT and my short height and the slight recurve at the top of the Cee Bailey just did not get along. I have to look through, rather than over, most windshields and the recurve caused too much distortion. The AeroFlow has no recurve and works well.

I understand the confusion over the two RT's. The wife and I have the same problem discussing things. One thing we have cleared up, however. We're not really discussing getting an RS/GS anymore. After sitting on one in Dallas, she is in love with the RT (Spyder RT). We may have to rob a bank, but I expect after riding one, we will order an RT.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Can't wait for mine either. I feel like i did when I was a kid waiting for x-mas morning.

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default After reading your...

review I think I need to take a test ride on the new Spyder. But..., always a but, I know "She who must be obeyed" will not go for buying a fourth one unless we hit the power ball. Realizing this I better not test ride a new one because as sure as I do... I will want one.

Folks have a super "Thanksgiving" ! /Ken
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyder Garage

I think the oversteer you are feeling may be the Toe. I noticed the RT models have a slight Toe-in where the RS is still set to Toe-out.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I just rode the RT on Monday and agree with Scotty's comments. I had to ride with a tour group and did not really get out of 4th gear. Although the Can Am Rep. noted the power difference from the RS but adjusted for torque I felt like it was comparing a touring motorcycle (RT) to a sport bike (RS). I do no like that the RT requires 91 octane vs. 87 octane for the RS but thats the price for more weight. The rider seating position is more upright but the handle bars for me seemed too close. I don't believe they can be adjusted farther away. The engine is mounted on a link sytem to isolate the vibration. I believe it is done similar to the Harley mounting system. The RT is smooth and plush.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default The "Ride"

Just a quick comment on the impressions regarding "the ride" of the new RT:
    As someone with 10,000 miles on the RT-S, I can honestly say that my first experience with the RT was the same, re: "wallowing" and "lean steer." However, I noticed that out of the factory, the suspension cams were set one notch above the softest setting. I reset them to the second-to-highest, and noted a marked improvement in the handling and steering. A few days later, I went ahead and brought them all the way up to the stiffest setting. At this point, the RT started handling exactly the way I had originally expected it to.
    When I last spoke to Lamont, I believe his experience was almost exactly the same. We both agreed that Can-Am seems to have erred a bit on the side of comfort, figuring most touring riders want a "plush" ride. The top settings work well for those of us who are a bit more performance-inclined, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if one of the hottest-selling aftermarket setups for the RT will turn out to be a high-performance suspension.
    In fact, I believe Lamont plans on installing just such a setup in the next few days. I will be interested to hear the results.
    Fred

Spyder Garage

It must be great having a dealer close enough to make regular visits. if my closest wasn't over 2 hours away I think I'd be there daily. There is a dearler within 30 miles of me, but they will not have a demo until January and then no demo rides...showroom ONLY (what's up with that?)

I'm so second guessing if I made the right decission after putting down my deposit. I'm coming strickly from a two-wheel world, never riding a trike and never saw a spyder up close until my visit to the dearership last week.

With that said...I can't wait for my RT to sit in my drive

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by John G View Post
    It must be great having a dealer close enough to make regular visits. if my closest wasn't over 2 hours away I think I'd be there daily. There is a dearler within 30 miles of me, but they will not have a demo until January and then no demo rides...showroom ONLY (what's up with that?)

I'm so second guessing if I made the right decission after putting down my deposit. I'm coming strickly from a two-wheel world, never riding a trike and never saw a spyder up close until my visit to the dearership last week.

With that said...I can't wait for my RT to sit in my drive
    Before I bought my first Spyder I had only been on one three wheeler and that was just for a couple of miles. I've been on two wheels all my life and never thought I would love the Spyder as much as I do.

By the way I ordered mine in July and never saw one in person till October. No regrets.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I also test drove an RT last weekend and agree with a lot of the comments. I was able to take it for about 1 hr which half of that was higway speeds. My Top Ten observations:

1) Seemed to wallow a bit on the highway
    2) The handle bar was too close for me, I felt cramped
    3) The seat seemed too confining, I wanted to sit back an inch or so
    4) Although seat is very comfortable compared to my Spyder
    5) Very little wind, windshield adjustment is great
    6) Stereo is very nice, easy to use. Nothing to compare to though except for a Cardo with helmet speakers (which I think I prefer)
    7) Stereo staying on after turning off the bike is annoying.
    8) Fly by wire is different, nice not to have the resistance and wrist fatigue. Seems like the travel is too far though, too much twist distance
    9) The power (lack of) would take some getting used to. I really like the umph of my spyder.
    10) The cruise control is the shize, I have never had cruise on a bike and what a wonderful addition. It worked flawless for the short 20 miles.

I do see one in my future but probably 2 years out. Sounds like a good 50th Birthday present to me.