Spyder Garage

Default Hey you riders with Ikon shocks on RT's, what's your opinion?

Hey you riders with Ikon shocks, what's your opinion? I'm trying to get in contact with the USA vendor about the Ikon 7613-1006 shocks for the RT Limited. Their site shows up to 2018 model year. Will those shocks work on the newer >2020 RT/RTL's ? They certainly sound reasonable at $700 . Thanks for any input
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-04-2024 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

They certainly work for me on my 2013 RT Ltd!

And if you want to know about how well they go on the newer model RT's, IIRC, you might want to check with PeteOz, cos I reckon he's got IKON's all round on his '21 RT Ltd.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-04-2024 at 06:21 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Hey Jeff, yes the 1006 works on the ‘20+ RT. We spent quite sometime verifying that……I was the Guinea pig, but Ikon were 99% sure there would not be an issue…..and they know their stuff.

They are only $700 because they do not have all the adjustability range of the likes of M2, Elka, Wilbers etc. They have 3 settings, which are effectively soft, medium and hard. I am running mine at medium, and they are working very well for me. They were designed for two up riding in mind, so a soft setting works well one up, but since I am effectively riding two up even when I’m by myself, that’s why I have them at medium. With the Chosen One on the back, I have found no need to adjust them.

My major reason for getting them was a severe jolt over a significant pothole that dislodged the instrument cluster, and left gravel on the subframe. I have not had an issue with that pothole since I installed them (but since then, I have also installed a slightly higher aspect tyre to give me an extra half inch of clearance, and increased preload by 1/4 inch.

I am happy with them, and have communicated with other US members, who I believe have purchased and installed them. One thing I haven’t seen is any feedback from US riders on whether they are happy with them.. I assume they are happy with them, as no one has abused me as yet, but heyyyyyyy……..

Hope this helps,
    Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post

They are only $700 because they do not have all the adjustability range of the likes of M2, Elka, Wilbers etc. They have 3 settings, which are effectively soft, medium and hard. I am running mine at medium, and they are working very well for me. They were designed for two up riding in mind, so a soft setting works well one up, but since I am effectively riding two up even when I’m by myself, that’s why I have them at medium. With the Chosen One on the back, I have found no need to adjust them.
    Hope this helps,
    Pete
    Just a bit more on those bits ^^ I've found that while many think they'll really use & benefit from the adjustability features on the more expensive shocks, very few actually do either! Most tend to play with them a bit when they're new, working out where the shocks work best for them; set the shocks at that, and then very rarely if ever adjust them again!!

Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks much for the input. I'll try and make contact with the USA vendor today.
    Last edited by troop; 01-05-2024 at 08:30 AM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Talked to Roger today at Ikon USA. Very informative. The Ikon 7613-1006 shocks are out of stock. They expect a shipment mid February, with shipping out late February. They spring the shocks stateside based on rider/passenger/luggage usage, and have three different spring combinations they use. He did say that the shocks have been adjusted fairly recently. $700 + $25 shipping. Gives me something to ponder.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Just a bit more on those bits ^^ I've found that while many think they'll really use & benefit from the adjustability features on the more expensive shocks, very few actually do either! Most tend to play with them a bit when they're new, working out where the shocks work best for them; set the shocks at that, and then very rarely if ever adjust them again!!

Just Sayin'
    Yes, I should have mentioned that, Peter. I spent ages playing with mine (the F3 - Wilbers, I mean), and really didn’t notice much benefit. I tried all 3 settings up front on the Ikons, found the medium the best, and there they have stayed.

Just a gotcha……with the Ikons and the ‘20+ RT, make sure you determine the best setting before you put everything back together. The dial is up high and is difficult to get to once everything is back together.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I am having such a time with my snowmobile shocks, trying to get parts from Fox that if were me I would use a US company if I was in the US!!! Just saying! Getting things from Canada is bad enough. Shipping and handling is nuts. And if you're working thru a US distributor, make sure he has a good stock of parts, so you're not left out in the cold for months waiting for parts. Good Luck
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-05-2024 at 05:54 PM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Hello Troop,
    Do the Ikon shocks have a set that include the fronts and a rear? Price seems to be about half of the others! Also like the simple settings!
    2021 Spyder RT-L - Asphalt Grey
    • Vredestein tires all around
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster tire balancing rings/front
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • Lamonster belt tensioner
    • K and N air filter
    • Rear cowl - in place when you remove rear box

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    Hello Troop,
    Do the Ikon shocks have a set that include the fronts and a rear? Price seems to be about half of the others! Also like the simple settings!
    As far as I know, they only have RT shocks for the front.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    Hello Troop,
    Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I've got an IKON shock on the rear of my 2013 RT, I think it's a 3610-1084 (non-remote adjustment) and I don't know if it fits the newer models, or if it's readily available in the US, but it works for me!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I spoke with Icon US and they confirmed that they DO NOT have a rear shock for my 2020 RT...Hope this helps
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJohn View Post
    I spoke with Icon US and they confirmed that they DO NOT have a rear shock for my 2020 RT...Hope this helps
    There is something strange here, BamaJohn, Troop, Don60. I definitely have an Ikon rear shock on my ‘21 RT, and it is still showing in their product list. I’ll give them a call on Monday, if they are back from their Christmas break, and see if I can get to the bottom of it.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I am having such a time with my snowmobile shocks, trying to get parts from Fox that if were me I would use a US company if I was in the US!!! Just saying! Getting things from Canada is bad enough. Shipping and handling is nuts. And if you're working thru a US distributor, make sure he has a good stock of parts, so you're not left out in the cold for months waiting for parts. Good Luck
    Mikey, your post has me a tad bit confused. Regarding your sled shocks, you say they are made by Fox. Fox is a US based company with USA service centers, why would you be buying Fox parts from Canada or using a Canadian Fox service center?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mikey, I have used TK'S (Travis) @ TKSSHOCKS.COM 814-397-0347 for many of my shock needs on snowmobiles/atv and he also serviced my Spyder Elka's... Gives great personal service... Might be worth a try??? larryd
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-07-2024 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Elks's ;-)

Spyder Garage

So……here it is, straight from the horses mouth……so to speak.

I got on to the Ikon owner this morning. They are not back from holidays until 29 Jan, but he took my call, which doesn’t surprise me. The below details why the US agent is saying they don’t make a shock for the ‘20+ RT (he is “sort of” correct), while I have one on my ‘21RT.

The Ikon rear shock for the ‘20+ RT has effectively fallen between the stools. I was their test bunny for the ‘20+ RT rear shock as my new RT arrived with a faulty rear shock that sounded like a herd of donkeys heading down the street. How apt for Peteoz, I hear you say

The faulty stock shock could not be quickly replaced due to Covid restrictions. The Ikon fitted and works a treat. The issue was that both the owner and the R&D head were overseas when that happened, and were not made aware on their return. As such, a clarification that the rear ‘14+ shock fits the ‘20+ was never documented and the fitment list was not updated. As a result, there may have been some Aussie enquiries who were told the same as US enquiries - “they are not available”.

He was most apologetic that it had fallen between the stools (but we need to keep in mind that CanAm sales are a minimal part of Ikon’s revenue). I am going to give him a call after 29th (he is a fair way from the office at the moment), and R&D will verify specs etc from my shock and add it to the list of availability for the ‘20+ RT, providing everything stacks up as far as US and Aus RT measurements are concerned……and there is no reason to think they would differ.

Hope this helps. I’ll keep you posted after 29th.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 01-07-2024 at 08:20 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    So……here it is, straight from the horses mouth……so to speak.

I got on to the Ikon owner this morning. They are not back from holidays until 29 Jan, but he took my call, which doesn’t surprise me. The below details why the US agent is saying they don’t make a shock for the ‘20+ RT (he is “sort of” correct), while I have one on my ‘21RT.

The Ikon rear shock for the ‘20+ RT has effectively fallen between the stools. I was their test bunny for the ‘20+ RT rear shock as my new RT arrived with a faulty rear shock that sounded like a herd of donkeys heading down the street. How apt for Peteoz, I hear you say

The faulty stock shock could not be quickly replaced due to Covid restrictions. The Ikon fitted and works a treat. The issue was that both the owner and the R&D head were overseas when that happened, and were not made aware on their return. As such, a clarification that the rear ‘14+ shock fits the ‘20+ was never documented and the fitment list was not updated. As a result, there may have been some Aussie enquiries who were told the same as US enquiries - “they are not available”.

He was most apologetic that it had fallen between the stools (but we need to keep in mind that CanAm sales are a minimal part of Ikon’s revenue). I am going to give him a call after 29th (he is a fair way from the office at the moment), and R&D will verify specs etc from my shock and add it to the list of availability for the ‘20+ RT, providing everything stacks up as far as US and Aus RT measurements are concerned……and there is no reason to think they would differ.

Hope this helps. I’ll keep you posted after 29th.

Pete
    Thanks Pete...that's encouraging!
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Mikey, your post has me a tad bit confused. Regarding your sled shocks, you say they are made by Fox. Fox is a US based company with USA service centers, why would you be buying Fox parts from Canada or using a Canadian Fox service center?
    Maybe I am dumb and can't find the right web page or person to talk to, but I have spent the last week trying to find someone who has what I am calling a bushing - the number on the side is 214-32-010. It's nothing but what looks like a nylon washer that basically holds the bushing in the head of my shock, there's one on both sides. Doesn't seem like a big deal, should be able to find a couple, NO!!! I have been quoted prices up and down the scale from a couple bucks, with shipping charges that would spin your head, for something that could be put it an envelope! It's been a battle, but I ended up making my own from supplies from the hardware store.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-08-2024 at 05:26 PM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Mikey, I have used TK'S (Travis) @ TKSSHOCKS.COM 814-397-0347 for many of my shock needs on snowmobiles/atv and he also serviced my Spyder Elka's... Gives great personal service... Might be worth a try??? larryd
    Thank you, I'll look them up! P.S Just looked at their web page, I will put them in my favorites! Thanks again
    Last edited by Mikey; 01-08-2024 at 10:08 AM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Hey you riders with Ikon shocks, what's your opinion? I'm trying to get in contact with the USA vendor about the Ikon 7613-1006 shocks for the RT Limited. Their site shows up to 2018 model year. Will those shocks work on the newer >2020 RT/RTL's ? They certainly sound reasonable at $700 . Thanks for any input
    Hey Troop,
    We are looking forward to giving a rider report on the Ikon shocks this spring. I ordered a couple pair in December, prior to new year (2024) price increase. We have had communication from Roger stating that the Ikon factory shuts down for a month for the new year, so we should be expecting the shocks around mid-Feb. This is not an issue as it is below 32 degrees in our neck of the woods. As others have commented, there was a rear shock assembly available several months ago, but now it is no longer on the web-site. My opinion, the rear stock shock is ok, changing the front shocks (progressive wound spring/adjustable damping) & BajaRon sway bar will have the greatest impact. Better tires to follow.
    Ken
    2x 2020RT's

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAMJAM View Post
    Hey Troop,
    We are looking forward to giving a rider report on the Ikon shocks this spring. I ordered a couple pair in December, prior to new year (2024) price increase. We have had communication from Roger stating that the Ikon factory shuts down for a month for the new year, so we should be expecting the shocks around mid-Feb. This is not an issue as it is below 32 degrees in our neck of the woods. As others have commented, there was a rear shock assembly available several months ago, but now it is no longer on the web-site. My opinion, the rear stock shock is ok, changing the front shocks (progressive wound spring/adjustable damping) & BajaRon sway bar will have the greatest impact. Better tires to follow.
    Ken
    2x 2020RT's
    After looking at multiple options, I opted another route. I'm going to give MTV's H&R springs a shot. Humor me, what was the cost prior to the 2024 price increase?

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAMJAM View Post
    Hey Troop,
    Ken
    2x 2020RT's
    KAMJAM…..just a slight correction. There has never been an Ikon rear shock shown as being available for the ‘20+ RT. The Aussie owners have not “released” one for sale as yet. Hopefully that will be rectified early Feb.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

From my experience. For our Spyder, a 2014 RTS, most times ridden two up with average weight passenger and driver, first I installed a BajaRon swaybar. Next was installing the BRP accessory Fox Shox. Last replacing the oem Kenda tires.

Each made a noticed improvement. For us though, if I were to do the changes again, the sequence would be good high performance car tires first. Next would be high performance front shocks, properly sprung and correctly wheel aligned. Last would be the swaybar.
    Simply, if the shocks are firmer in damping and spring rate, the swaybar upsize is less important. The swaybar does increase chassis roll resistance, lessening lean. Doing this it also increases the coil over shock effective spring rate when one wheel hits a bump. From a cost standpoint, oem shocks and oem front springs are fine for most owners, and the lower cost by comparison, of a swaybar upgrade, is well, kind of shocking. But still as my third best for front end upgrade.

Spyder Garage

Troop went the route of HR springs on the stock shock. i am very pleased with the result's the sharp feed back in the corners and that willowy feeling is totally gone...