Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

There's a lot of good posts here and most everyone has a salient point. I'm thinking maybe a step to the side, or possibly several, at this time.

Technology changes are having an impact on the market and even non-traditional cars are able to get into the market when they have the right product. Many smaller Trikes don't have the right product, even Can Am ebbs and flows on the legacy of their bikes already in the market and those of the existing and incoming market. The last figures I saw spent on Trikes in the Nth American market were over $1.5 Billion, I think in 2014. So big companies measure their entrance to the market, their ability to put down a legacy market, and thru keeping an eye on any changes are going to beat up any new releases such that they become a negative return. Personally, to me that market is big enough for an entry product, and Harley still do (or did 'til last year) have a trike in the Delta rather than Nabla configuration (yes, that's the Latin word that's the shape of inverse Delta) that was/is known as the Servicar. Do people really overlook the Yamaha Niken? Nobody is going to make something that looks like Can Am I think, so any Nabla Trike will come out built on an existing model by either the existing manufacturers or an aftermarket factory.

I think they are a fabulous vehicles for motorcyclists who would like to have a better contact patch with the road through their cycle and their feet if required. While so much of Europe and Nth America have to put away their bikes for a substantial part of the year, a company that has the right product and adapts with the latest technology (so it may not be a big company) will be able to score a substantial amount of that market and perhaps even just outright grow it, because I don't believe it will be a Can Am (could be a familiar shape - no getting away from that with Nabla Trikes).
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-06-2024 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    But that's not competition. Stick with the aftermarket.
    If another company came out with a performance reverse trike I would buy it. The fact that there is none means we have to go to the aftermarket to get what we want out of the Rykers.

I think you missed the point on this one.
    2013 RS , Custom black and green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blackphoenix38 View Post
    We are breaking out the tools I'm working with BLRtuning and Treal performance. Just ordered their stage 2 CVT clutch. I'll be installing that soon and see how much awesomeness is gained by it.

the aftermarket is great for Rykers, just wish it had a bit more from the factory.
    If another company came out with a performance reverse trike I would buy it. The fact that there is none means we have to go to the aftermarket to get what we want out of the Rykers.

I think you missed the point on this one.
    The point of the Ryker was to eliminate cost and find replacement buyers, that you choose to add to it is your call. Any performance based trike from another manufacturer would be F3 prices or more. If BRP added performance clutches etc to it's accessories list it would dilute the aftermarket choices, there's only so big a market and if the participants can't make money they disappear. Careful what you wish for is my point, sometimes the consumer can be their own worst enemy if they don't understand the underlying reasons for a company's decisions.
    Personally I think you'll chase your tail spending tons on a Ryker then realise way more can be had from a Spyder but haven't we all done that at some point.Let me know when your bored with one gear to play with.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

The point of the Ryker was to eliminate cost and find replacement buyers, that you choose to add to it is your call. Any performance based trike from another manufacturer would be F3 prices or more. If BRP added performance clutches etc to it's accessories list it would dilute the aftermarket choices, there's only so big a market and if the participants can't make money they disappear. Careful what you wish for is my point, sometimes the consumer can be their own worst enemy if they don't understand the underlying reasons for a company's decisions.
    Personally I think you'll chase your tail spending tons on a Ryker then realise way more can be had from a Spyder but haven't we all done that at some point.Let me know when your bored with one gear to play with.
    I'll send you the videos when I'm done. There's a garage in Canada that changed out the gearing and got the Ryker to 150mph. You don't need a spyder to have fun, totally different platform.

As far as spending money, If Kawasaki came out with an H2 powered reverse trike, yes I would spend 30k on it. It would be worth it at that point.

why dump money into the Ryker, because of the topic of this thread.. there is no other choice, no other competition out there. those of us that want to have fun, this is what we got to work with.

Spyder Garage

I'll send you the videos when I'm done. There's a garage in Canada that changed out the gearing and got the Ryker to 150mph. You don't need a spyder to have fun, totally different platform.

As far as spending money, If Kawasaki came out with an H2 powered reverse trike, yes I would spend 30k on it. It would be worth it at that point.

why dump money into the Ryker, because of the topic of this thread.. there is no other choice, no other competition out there. those of us that want to have fun, this is what we got to work with.
    I don't have a Ryker and no plans on ever having one, but tricking one out so it has that potential is interesting to me. My 150 MPH days are over, but I enjoy seeing what mods are out there and what others are doing to their rides. Does this company offer suspension and braking upgrades to cope with that type of power? The stock setup won't handle it I'm sure. You may not get your money back when you sell or trade, but most of us rarely do recoup money spent on upgrades or shiny bits. It's your bike and your money. I say have at it and if anyone complains tell em to eat a bug. Life is short, have fun.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    A lot of great machines have went away due to government regulations.
    That is very true. A good example is the Yamaha FJR. 2023 was the last year it was available in the EU due to the emission standards. And the sad part is that that's where their biggest market was for the bike.

Used to walk into a Honda shop and see Wings lined up, now several shops here in Ohio won't even stock them and if they do it's only one bike. ..
    The Gold wing is one of Honda's hottest selling bikes. I asked this very same question at my local Honda dealer about why you never see them on the sales floor anymore. They told me that there is a waiting list to purchase them. They're sold before they arrive, so they never hit the sales floor.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-10-2024 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Do; Their ... ;-)
    2022 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

The one other reverse trike that I know of on the market is the T-REX. That is if you want a steering wheel that you have to remove to get in or out and put down around $60,00 for it. I would rather get two Spyders.

Spyder Garage

C'mon guys, play nice; and remember the Forum Rules in all your posts!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    C'mon guys, play nice; and remember the Forum Rules in all your posts!
    No idea what happened, but every thread breaks down like this lol... to each their own I guess.

Spyder Garage

The art of interpretation is not to play what is written.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

No idea what happened, but every thread breaks down like this lol... to each their own I guess.
    blackphoenix38 & Cobwebs: Since you both have decided to bring this issue public....Your posts to each other were considered argumentative, which is a violation of site rules.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The art of interpretation is not to play what is written.
    blackphoenix38 & Cobwebs: Since you both have decided to bring this issue public....Your posts to each other were considered argumentative, which is a violation of site rules.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Respectfully

Lets try it this way then. Imagine the F3 was made by Honda and the supposed upcoming electric BRP trike was made by I don't know Hop Sing motorcycles would that then be competition for the Ryker. I think it would be. Is it going to happen, I don't think so.
    Point being my interpretation of competition in this case is based on whats actually available or soon to be
    Without actual competition being available the thread is a statement of dislike for BRP's offerings at the current time. Where are we supposed to take it from there without opposing views. I could say I agree with everything blackphoenix says but then I would be wasting space and not furthering the discussion but staying inside the guidelines to be safe.
    At that rate the whole forum would be a bunch of I 's None of us want that do we?
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

You can have differing opinions without attacking those who hold other opinions, and the Rules here support differing opinions but require no attacking! So, if you post politely and to the topic rather than having a go at the member, you shouldn't have any issues.

However, the moment you start posting comments aimed at/arguing with the 'member' rather than posting 'to the topic', your posts are out of line and likely to be removed without notice; and if that's something you do repeatedly, be it in one thread or many, then there's likely to be repercussions to your posting privileges also. And arguing with the Mods about it in public is even more likely to bring about those sorts of restrictions, if not bring about a complete loss of your posting privileges here.

So, with this post, the subject of BlackPhoenix & Cobweb's posting behaviour is CLOSED, and we're getting this thread back on the real topic!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-11-2024 at 09:52 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My point is I just want some other company to get into the reverse trike market. I think not only would it boot BRP in the butt to stop playing it safe, it would give those of us looking for other options another place to go

Spyder Garage

My point is I just want some other company to get into the reverse trike market. I think not only would it boot BRP in the butt to stop playing it safe, it would give those of us looking for other options another place to go
    You might get your wish after BRP goes electric and finds out (like other manufacturers have) that the people that actually decide (ie; us) don't want them. Enter someone to capitalise on their weakened position possibly.
    Barring that I just don't see the market as big enough for any other entrants. That and the thought of a trike at 150mph scares the bejeezus out of me. You know, 3 wheels all wanting to follow a separate track down the road and the handling quirks that generates.
    They've already got us nanny stated with what we've got, can you imagine what would be needed to control a trike at double the usual velocity!May as well stay in bed.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

I've had my ryker over 100 many many times. I feel fine on it. What it does need at those speeds those is better swaybar and sway bar links. Huge difference and stops the highway wandering of the front tires.

I will not buy an EV bike or an EV anything for that matter. I highly doubt their two EV bikes that they are going to put out are going to sell.. who asked for them?

can't wait for another company to come out with something, that way I can come out with my "I told you so Can Am" video lol.

Spyder Garage

I've had my ryker over 100 many many times. I feel fine on it. What it does need at those speeds those is better swaybar and sway bar links. Huge difference and stops the highway wandering of the front tires.

I will not buy an EV bike or an EV anything for that matter. I highly doubt their two EV bikes that they are going to put out are going to sell.. who asked for them?

can't wait for another company to come out with something, that way I can come out with my "I told you so Can Am" video lol.

Hope you don't mind riding backwards
    https://www.casarva.co.uk/casarva-ka...-record-trike/
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

The only brand i would love to see bring a product to market is Honda with the Goldwing motor and shaft drive.

Spyder Garage
    Last edited by BoatFixx; 01-17-2024 at 12:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yes, Honda is missing the boat. But...the GW seems to be destined to oblivion. I am seeing fewer and fewer as the days go by.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

What is the company in Canada that changed the gearing on the Ryker ?
    Tried to Google it, but nothing came up.
    Did they do it at the finale drive or at the CVT.
    Sounds interesting.
    You also mentioned having the Ryker over 100mph.
    What RPM was it turning at that speed?
    Just an old gearhead asking questions.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Yes, Honda is missing the boat. But...the GW seems to be destined to oblivion. I am seeing fewer and fewer as the days go by.
    Boils down to one thing. Reverse trikes aren't a profitable segment of the market and companies are in business to make a profit. If you build it they will come is not a business strategy. Regardless of what some think the GW is not the money maker for Honda. They pulled production out of Ohio because GW sales were shrinking and that factory was better served for other profitable business. They need to get younger riders onboard if they are to survive. My son is a good example. He makes good money and rides a 750 because with mortgage, family, and other obligations a $30,000 Wing or Spyder is NOT an option. Fortunately he has found an affordable 750 that rides, handles, and is comfy for two up touring. This is now the market. Spyders, Wings, and $40K HD's are becoming the exception and smaller more affordable machines are the future. Even the hot market for the big adventure bikes is starting to cool as people are buying the smaller alternatives. Cubic inches no longer sells cars and it isn't going to sell bikes much longer either.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    What is the company in Canada that changed the gearing on the Ryker ?
    Tried to Google it, but nothing came up.
    Did they do it at the finale drive or at the CVT.
    Sounds interesting.
    You also mentioned having the Ryker over 100mph.
    What RPM was it turning at that speed?
    Just an old gearhead asking questions.
    Going 111mph I was at 8200 RPM. It had nothing left after that.

the company is https://www.adhocperformance.ca/

He doesn't have anything for sale offically yet. But I work with BLRtuning and I know they have been talking back and forth about some future performance kits. I believe he's changed out the actual rear diff gear and something with the whole CVT unit as well. Have to wait and see how his testing goes.

But between Dave and ADhoc and Bill at BLRtuning and Treal performance, they have the fastest Rykers out there right now. So it is possible to get more fun out of these machines.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-18-2024 at 09:17 AM.

Spyder Garage

Boils down to one thing. Reverse trikes aren't a profitable segment of the market and companies are in business to make a profit. If you build it they will come is not a business strategy. Regardless of what some think the GW is not the money maker for Honda. They pulled production out of Ohio because GW sales were shrinking and that factory was better served for other profitable business. They need to get younger riders onboard if they are to survive. My son is a good example. He makes good money and rides a 750 because with mortgage, family, and other obligations a $30,000 Wing or Spyder is NOT an option. Fortunately he has found an affordable 750 that rides, handles, and is comfy for two up touring. This is now the market. Spyders, Wings, and $40K HD's are becoming the exception and smaller more affordable machines are the future. Even the hot market for the big adventure bikes is starting to cool as people are buying the smaller alternatives. Cubic inches no longer sells cars and it isn't going to sell bikes much longer either.
    They are for sure looking for a younger market. The Rebel line up is a perfect example, IMO. They started with a 250 and now they have several "upline" versions, including a "touring version." I believe it is 1100 cc and has a semi auto transmission option.

I like the low seating, but am not going back to two wheels now that I am "retired" from riding, due to health.

I also see that Kawi, has now brough back a "Vulcan" touring bike, complete with fairing, trunk, and hard bags. I used to have a Voyager. That was pretty close to the wing.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-18-2024 at 12:16 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red