Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone installed this Motorcycle Car Play Unit or similar on 2020+ RT or F3?

I was looking at this item on Spyder Extras website and a couple of others and I wanted to check and see if anyone has installed a device like this on their 2020+ RT or F3 and had any luck with it working with the Can Am radio system or if they were only able to install it and have it connected to your helmet?

https://spyderextras.com/shop/detail...erproof-Screen

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year
    Keith
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-01-2024 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Watch out if you have android 14 the latest update broke Android Auto wireless.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/a...ss-226120.html

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The fact that your Spyder already comes with smartphone integration, why spend more $$$ on this. They work and do the same thing.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    The fact that your Spyder already comes with smartphone integration, why spend more $$$ on this. They work and do the same thing.
    & likely the product works better than BRP CONNECT. It does look interesting.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Unless I am missing something, BRP doesn’t allow use of the same apps I am spoiled with in my car! Having a common platform across all vehicles is convenient.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tta71 View Post
    Unless I am missing something, BRP doesn’t allow use of the same apps I am spoiled with in my car! Having a common platform across all vehicles is convenient.
    First off comparing are car to a motorcycle??? Why? I would’ve thought you’d know the difference. When I ride my Spyder I’m enjoying the ride and the countryside, not playing with my phone or the apps. Ever hear of distracted driving? This ACP device will require the rider to look away from the road to touch the screen multiple times. You’ll have to look down (away) from the road. Whereas the BRp system allows you to keep your eyes on the road and use your thumb to control what you want.

While operating any vehicle you are not able to use the phone normally. All we need is music and navigation which BRP Go has. We can make/receive calls if needed without the Go app. What else would we need while out enjoying the ride?
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 01-01-2024 at 03:15 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

First off comparing are car to a motorcycle??? Why? I would’ve thought you’d know the difference. When I ride my Spyder I’m enjoying the ride and the countryside, not playing with my phone or the apps. Ever hear of distracted driving? This ACP device will require the rider to look away from the road to touch the screen multiple times. You’ll have to look down (away) from the road. Whereas the BRp system allows you to keep your eyes on the road and use your thumb to control what you want.

While operating any vehicle you are not able to use the phone normally. All we need is music and navigation which BRP Go has. We can make/receive calls if needed without the Go app. What else would we need while out enjoying the ride?
    First of all, it was a simple comment. But since it seemed to cause you such consternation, I am responding to each question/comment...

First off comparing are (a) car to a motorcycle??? Why? I would’ve thought you’d know the difference. (Didn’t compare the two. Only said it would be nice/convenient to have access to the same apps that I use in my car. I am familiar with them) When I ride my Spyder I’m enjoying the ride and the countryside, not playing with my phone or the apps. (I too am enjoying the ride and countryside and not playing with apps. I usually use two apps: Waze and Spotify. To my knowledge, neither are supported on BRP). Ever hear of distracted driving? (Yes) This ACP device will require the rider to look away from the road to touch the screen multiple times. You’ll have to look down (away) from the road. Whereas the BRp system allows you to keep your eyes on the road and use your thumb to control what you want. (My ACP device is connected to my comm unit and is therefore controlled completely by voice. Hey Siri! I never take my eyes off of the road unlike having to glance at the BRP screen to verify that I have guided the precious joystick to the correct menu.)

While operating any vehicle you are not able to use the phone normally. All we need is music and navigation which BRP Go has. We can make/receive calls if needed without the Go app. What else would we need while out enjoying the ride? (I only use the two aforementioned apps. And yes, I am able to use the phone normally. Not that I enjoy having my rides interrupted by phone calls, but there are times that I have to make/take them. Usually, the people I am talking with don’t even realize I am on the bike.)

BTW, Can Am has finally realized the desire/need of some riders for ACP. It appears they are including it on some 2024 models. I believe they refer to it as “a more immersive rider experience”.

Quote from BRP website. Notice the word “safer”

“We are constantly looking to improve the rider experience through innovation,” said Martin Ethier, Marketing Director, Can-Am 3-Wheel & Motorcycles at BRP. “The introduction of Apple CarPlay is a big step toward that, and it directly addresses feedback we have received from Can-Am owners around the world. Riders will now have a smarter, safer way to stay connected while riding.”
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-02-2024 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Clarified what was Quote & what was not. ;-)

Spyder Garage

First off comparing are car to a motorcycle??? Why? I would’ve thought you’d know the difference. When I ride my Spyder I’m enjoying the ride and the countryside, not playing with my phone or the apps. Ever hear of distracted driving? This ACP device will require the rider to look away from the road to touch the screen multiple times. You’ll have to look down (away) from the road. Whereas the BRP system allows you to keep your eyes on the road and use your thumb to control what you want.

I don't use the BRP Go app, it's too glitchy and limited. I connect my phone to both my bike and helmet via Bluetooth and my Garmin also links to my helmet on channel 2. And I have no issues. The handlebar controls do all I want with my bluetooth connection for music and I only have to touch the button on my Cardo to answer the phone. Couple that with "Hey Google or Hey Cardo" voice commands, and I have no reason to look anywhere but the road.
    Last edited by Frostbyte; 01-02-2024 at 09:17 AM.
    Knowledge is the accumulation and remembering data.
    Wisdom is the effective application of it.

[img]https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/maps/map.png?
    2019 Spyder RT Limited , 2" brake pedal riser with wide pedal Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tta71 View Post
    BTW, Can Am has finally realized the desire/need of some riders for ACP. It appears they are including it on some 2024 models. I believe they refer to it as “a more immersive rider experience”.

Quote from BRP website. Notice the word “safer”

“We are constantly looking to improve the rider experience through innovation,” said Martin Ethier, Marketing Director, Can-Am 3-Wheel & Motorcycles at BRP. “The introduction of Apple CarPlay is a big step toward that, and it directly addresses feedback we have received from Can-Am owners around the world. Riders will now have a smarter, safer way to stay connected while riding.”
    Thats funny GM doesn't feel the same way, they are removing Apple Carplay and Android Auto citing safety concerns....

https://www.motortrend.com/news/gene...y-tim-babbitt/

"Tim Babbitt, GM's head of product for infotainment, gave MT a better explanation at a press event for the new Chevrolet Blazer EV, the flagship vehicle in the no CarPlay or Android Auto strategy (and our 2023 MotorTrend SUV of the Year winner). According to him, there's an important factor that didn't make it into the fact sheet: safety. Specifically, he cited driver distraction caused by cell phone usage behind the wheel.

According to Babbitt, CarPlay and Android Auto have stability issues that manifest themselves as bad connections, poor rendering, slow responses, and dropped connections. And when CarPlay and Android Auto have issues, drivers pick up their phones again, taking their eyes off the road and totally defeating the purpose of these phone-mirroring programs. Solving those issues can sometimes be beyond the control of the automaker. You can start to see GM's frustration.

Babbitt's thesis is that if drivers were to do everything through the vehicle's built-in systems, they'd be less likely to pick up their phones and therefore less distracted and safer behind the wheel. He admits, though, GM hasn't tested this thesis in the lab or real world yet but believes it has potential, if customers go for it."

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I did some additional checking if anyone is interested and contacted Spyder Extras. They said that they have installed several of the Ottocast devices on Spyders and used one of the following Bluetooth devices to pair it to the bike.
    https://spyderextras.com/shop/detail...Kit-SPX-BT51-1
    https://spyderextras.com/shop/detail...-Kit-SPX-BT5-2

I also paired the Car Play unit I got off of Amazon to the Bluetooth device but since I already have my Garmin XT unit paired the Car Play device pairs but will not play over the bikes speakers.

Guess me trying to make interaction with my phone simplified while riding my bike will not be able to happen, so I guess I will keep doing it the way I already have things set up.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

My main worry about any of these devices are updates for compatibility. For instance what I mentioned in my earlier posts android 14 has broken a lot of devices wireless capability.

Do you think that ACP or AA is going to come out with a fix for these devices in any decent amount of time once something is broken? Will the manufacturer update their firmware to help resolve any issues a year out from now?

That's why I have held off on using 2 devices that need to be connected made by separate manufacturers. Even if Google or Apple were to make their own devices I would still be leary of it getting updates to fix it in the future. (Look at the whole NEST debacle with google)

This isn't saying BRP connect isn't without fault (it has a lot of them) but until there is an easy way to keep these devices updated and synced together I will just be using my phone only.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    Thats funny GM doesn't feel the same way, they are removing Apple Carplay and Android Auto citing safety concerns....

https://www.motortrend.com/news/gene...y-tim-babbitt/

"Tim Babbitt, GM's head of product for infotainment, gave MT a better explanation at a press event for the new Chevrolet Blazer EV, the flagship vehicle in the no CarPlay or Android Auto strategy (and our 2023 MotorTrend SUV of the Year winner). According to him, there's an important factor that didn't make it into the fact sheet: safety. Specifically, he cited driver distraction caused by cell phone usage behind the wheel.

According to Babbitt, CarPlay and Android Auto have stability issues that manifest themselves as bad connections, poor rendering, slow responses, and dropped connections. And when CarPlay and Android Auto have issues, drivers pick up their phones again, taking their eyes off the road and totally defeating the purpose of these phone-mirroring programs. Solving those issues can sometimes be beyond the control of the automaker. You can start to see GM's frustration.

Babbitt's thesis is that if drivers were to do everything through the vehicle's built-in systems, they'd be less likely to pick up their phones and therefore less distracted and safer behind the wheel. He admits, though, GM hasn't tested this thesis in the lab or real world yet but believes it has potential, if customers go for it."
    That is interesting! It will also be interesting to see if they charge for their “built-in systems” services in the form of subscriptions😀 Especially since they partnered with Google to create the platform. We shall see.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    It will also mean GM no longer needs to share any proprietary vehicle data with Apple or Google. It's a win-win (for GM at least.)
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Not so simple. The BRP GO! functionality and connection are goofy and cannot hold a candle to apps such as Google Maps, Waze, SiriusXM, Padora etc. In fact you are limited to a select few apps and they are rather lame. The only one I might use is the "Dash Radio".

Also, BRP GO! only works with a wired connection. What a pain.
    Last edited by broderp; 01-03-2024 at 12:11 PM.
    2023 Spyder F3-S, Manta Green
    2023 Ryker 600 ACE, Black on Black (The wife's toy )
    2020 Kawasaki Z900, Candy Plasma Blue

Spyder Garage

sounds like a GM problem. They might even be posturing to come out with some integration of their own. Apple CarPlay works flawlessly in our Subaru.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I have installed one of these. It works great with Waze and is seamless with my Sena 50R.
    What I like about this unit is that I can put my iPhone in a safe location if it’s inclement weather.
    I haven’t tried to link with BRP as it hasn’t worked.
    Cheers all
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ordered an Android Auto screen for my S2S. I bought the larger screen though. It will be here friday. I am replacing my GPS with it. The GPS I had would run some apps, as it was an android GPS, but it would not run the apps I wanted. I want to run Waze and google maps on a larger, brighter screen than my phone. I will let you know how it works.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Got my new wireless Android Auto screen installed. It works perfect! Nice bright anti glare screen. It is the 5.98" screen from Amazon. The only modification I made was adding a Ram ball to mount it to the Spyder. The ball that comes with it is smaller than a RAM ball and their ball mount is metric threads. I drilled thru a RAM ball and used a bolt that came with the screen. Works perfect.
    IMG_20240105_154854_01.jpg IMG_20240105_155000_01.jpg ram.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-06-2024 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Wow that was quick. Thanks Joel

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Wow that was quick. Thanks Joel
    Joel does not mess around!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Got my new wireless Android Auto screen installed. It works perfect! Nice bright anti glare screen. It is the 5.98" screen from Amazon. The only modification I made was adding a Ram ball to mount it to the Spyder. The ball that comes with it is smaller than a RAM ball and their ball mount is metric threads. I drilled thru a RAM ball and used a bolt that came with the screen. Works perfect.
    How does the screen impact visibility of the gauges? Its a little hard to tell in the images. This intrigues me as I am struggling with Can-Am BRPGO! and apps on the gauges nd am just about ready to dump the idea of BRP integration and move to something like this. Thanks!
    Last edited by broderp; 01-11-2024 at 02:35 PM.
    2023 Spyder F3-S, Manta Green
    2023 Ryker 600 ACE, Black on Black (The wife's toy )
    2020 Kawasaki Z900, Candy Plasma Blue

Spyder Garage

Got my new wireless Android Auto screen installed. It works perfect!
    Looks great Joel. How did you power it up?
    2023 S2S
    Shoei RF-1400 Helmets
    Cardo Freedom 4x comms

Both riders USMC vets
    2023 Sea to Sky , Green Shadow

Spyder Garage

You got a link to the part on Amazon? Please !!!
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you are considering a GPS with Apple Car Play, or Android Auto and Dash Cams etc there is a motorcycle unit that combine’s all of those functions
    Chigee A10-Lite
    See https://www.chigee.com/products/aio5-lite

Here is a video showing all the features available :-

https://youtu.be/wgRX5MFF_g0?si=aDZQ9kKMJfe8FPh7

There are several other Video’s/Reviews on you tube
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World