Spyder Garage

Default Need help identifying this tool - anyone know what it is?

image.jpg

Anyone know what this is?

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-22-2023 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2015 F3-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

Not a Spyder tool, Good luck and Merry Christmas, Google Images search couldn't even find it.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Cheers for any known relevant info.

Some sort of cultivating tool, part of a set.

Why?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Tyme View Post
    image.jpg

Anyone know what this is?

Thanks for your help
    It's not exactly the same, but it does look a bit similar to the 'claw hooks' we used to use to hold bales of wool together when they were loaded onto the back of trucks.... But I never saw any that had both blunt hooks like those in the middle of your pictured device AND sharp hooks or claws like the outer two in your pic?? Maybe what you've got there is a combination of the two different types of 'claw hooks' we used to help secure loads onto semi-trailers & trucks??

IIRC, we had two different types of 'claw hooks', one with hooks very similar to the two 'blunt' claws in the middle of your device - their claws hooked around the tie-down rail on the tray of the truck, with ropes/chains attached thru the bolted on bow part which were then cinched/tensioned tight to hold the stacked bales onto the tray; while the other 'claw hooks' we had sported a number of those sharper claws (often 3 or 4) which hooked into the hessian bales, with ropes/chains attached thru the bow part and then cinched tight either to hold the bales tight against their stacked neighbours, or their ropes/chains were attached to one of the tray hooks on the other end and cinched tight thereto help to hold the entire stack of bales onto the tray....

The 'claw hooks' I'm familiar with were also used in a similar way to secure bales of hay, back when the hay bales weren't massive plastic wrapped 'dinosaur eggs' or dirty great bales that weighed hundreds of kgs each & required a pretty hefty tractor to move! . The hay bales I used to toss around only weighed 50-70kgs or so, certainly never more than 100kgs, and we used to load & stack them onto the trucks by hand!! (They were heavy bales, but still a lot nicer to load than the 25kg bags of just made/still hot @ about 80°C cement that used to spew down the conveyor out of the manufacturing plant at a rate 'just a bit faster than one a second' that I used to load!! Missing one of them, or worse, breaking one open as you grabbed it/swung it into place in the stack was far worse than just 'a right pain!' I'm sure I invented some new cus words when that happened; but you couldn't stop, cos the next bag was there already, and the 500 odd following bags for that trailer! ).

But I don't ever recall seeing any of the 'claw hooks' we used that had both the sharp claws to sink into the wool or hay bales AND the blunt hooks that hooked around the tubular tie-down rails on the sides of the truck trays included in the one device, altho I see no reason for that not to happen It might even make securing the load easier, cos you'd never end up needing just one more to tie it all down, and find you only had one of the wrong type left!! Been there, done that, more'n once, and the wrong type of hooks DIDN'T work in the other capacity!! Trying to use them in the wrong way invariably ended up with bales of some type spread all over the road!! I only did that once, and luckily, the bales that I lost didn't end up landing on a nearby car, or anything but the road but I know others who weren't so lucky!

Anyhow, like I said, they look 'a bit similar', but who knows?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-23-2023 at 03:51 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies, I tried google search with no luck, Its nice to know that people are still smarter than google.
    2015 F3-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

I've got a session with Madame Lash in the morning I'll ask her.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Tyme View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I tried google search with no luck, Its nice to know that people are still smarter than google.
    You might borrow it to the fella who's having trouble removing his compression socks!
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    You might borrow it to the fella who's having trouble removing his compression socks!
    Dang it Knizar, get your b*&t down here and clean up all the coffee I just blew out my nose!
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Dang it Knizar, get your b*&t down here and clean up all the coffee I just blew out my nose!
    So SORRY Ed, at least it wasn't Beer!

But the Knights at the round table used a similar gadget to scratch their testicles "ONLY" when wearing full armor!
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Looks like a pallet hook to me. Some equipment is shipped on frames made of pipe. The hook will lock over the pipe on the side and you drag it out the back of the truck on to the loading dock with a fork lift or winch. It would also lock on the boards of wooden pallets to drag them out of the trucks.

Not sure that is what it is, but it looks like some of the pallet hooks I have used before, to unload enclosed trailers. .
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    ...Not sure that is what it is, but it looks like some of the pallet hooks I have used before, to unload enclosed trailers.
    Been watching and I believe you're on to something here. I was thinking cable but pipe or bar seems more reasonable. Made for two sizes. It would catch the small size and the larger size by pushing the smaller hooks out of the way and catching the larger pipe/bar.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-25-2023 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

The center hook looks like it is for grabbing nails or wire. Was this a early tool to pull barbed wire tight on a fence?
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Been watching and I believe you're on to something here. I was thinking cable but pipe or bar seems more reasonable. Made for two sizes. It would catch the small size and the larger size by pushing the smaller hooks out of the way and catching the larger pipe/bar.
    The metal legs under this small table was the shipping frame that my tractor PTO drive chipper was bolted into to protect it from damage while being shipped here. I have a large pile of metal scrap and reuse things like that for future projects. I put some additional scrap metal (bed rails) runners on the top of the frame and drilled them to bolt the table top to. It is not a fancy table to go in the house, just a small table for cook outs in my shop. The pallet hook looking piece would have locked right on to the pipe of the shipping frame for my PTO chipper. I have used hooks that look similar to drag equipment in shipping frames to the rear of enclosed trailers. Once you get the frame near the back door of the enclosed trailer, you can lift it out using a forklift.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    The center hook looks like it is for grabbing nails or wire. Was this a early tool to pull barbed wire tight on a fence?

Not for stretching barbed wire. The hook would cut into the wire and break the the barbed wire when you start to tighten on it. I have a clamping tool for stretching barbed wire. It looks like this, and the ones the power company uses to pull the cables on the power poles look just like mine, only bigger.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Not for stretching barbed wire. The hook would cut into the wire and break the the barbed wire when you start to tighten on it. I have a clamping tool for stretching barbed wire. It looks like this, and the ones the power company uses to pull the cables on the power poles look just like mine, only bigger.
    I have a couple of these and have lost even more than that. Learned to use a claw hammer in place of the gripper. Easier to find a misplaced hammer. LOL