Spyder Garage

Default Any ideas on removing Compression Socks without working so hard?

Recently, I followed my doctor's advice and began wearing compression socks because of severe leg and ankle swelling. The doc prescribed a compression rating of 20-30, told me to get my legs measured for fitting and wear them daily during my waking hours. What a difference! Aside from a drastic reduction in swelling, I'm walking better and more upright while doing so. Of course, there's some difficulty in getting them on, but I've adapted to that fairly well. Using rubber gloves makes a huge difference. However, removing them is a MAJOR problem and that's why I'm seeking advice/suggestions. You see, I'm not as nimble as I used to be, and I suffer from bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome. In fact, one wrist has required surgery twice. My hand strength has diminished a lot and it's difficult for me to pull these socks down and away from my body. Painful, too. Any ideas on how I can remove these socks without having to work so hard? I would also be interested in knowing about any preferences in brands of compression socks you'd recommend. My first socks are Mediven, made in Germany and cost $83.99 per pair! By the way, Medicare does not cover these socks. Thanks so much.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-22-2023 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I made a sort of a cup from plastic drainpipe, big enough to slip my foot into. Load the cup with your sock. Slip ya foot in and pull up the sock. Trying to grab at the lower bits of the sock. Get it located at lower ankle area and work it front to rear, low to high while lifting. Make any sense? Sometimes I had to get several bites at it.
    I remove by turning it down from the top and peeled it off downwards. Stood on it with the other foot at the end. Whew!
    I dont think there is a super easy way but that worked for me after some surgery.

Spyder Garage

Personally, I use Copperfit (19.99/pr), I can't tell you if they meet the 20-30 rating you seek, but they seem to work for me. As far as getting them on, search Amazon for Compressions sock aids, they are as low as 14.99.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

Himm. Those frames look like they would be a good bit of kit. Thanks for the heads up Dave.

Spyder Garage

I have bought thigh-high compression stockings from this company - both the Jobst brand and the Sigvaris brand. I can't wear the knee-highs as the tops tend to cut into my legs just below the knee.
    This link shows some accessories available for getting the stockings on - not sure about off. Scroll through, you might find something to your satisfaction. If you click on the item called a "Doff N' Donner" there is a video that shows how this item assists in both putting the stocking on and taking it off.
    https://www.compressionsale.com/collections/accessories
    Last edited by Pooch; 12-22-2023 at 03:33 PM.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Couple things I have learn in the last 9.5 years. Don't try to put them on right after getting out of the shower. Let your legs completely dry. Taking them off I do sitting down by putting a couple fingers inside them on the back of my calf and pushing down, and around my heel. Pulling from the bottom is like a chinese finger trap!!!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-22-2023 at 09:14 PM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

This company that sells compression stockings has a video of how to remove https://www.rehab-store.com/p-e-c-i-...SABEgIhf_D_BwE My disclaimer is I know absolutely nothing about compression stockings other then when I worked in the hospital some of the nursing staff wore them.
    Last edited by wyliec; 12-23-2023 at 06:26 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post
    Recently, I followed my doctor's advice and began wearing compression socks because of severe leg and ankle swelling. The doc prescribed a compression rating of 20-30, told me to get my legs measured for fitting and wear them daily during my waking hours. What a difference! Aside from a drastic reduction in swelling, I'm walking better and more upright while doing so. Of course, there's some difficulty in getting them on, but I've adapted to that fairly well. Using rubber gloves makes a huge difference. However, removing them is a MAJOR problem and that's why I'm seeking advice/suggestions. You see, I'm not as nimble as I used to be, and I suffer from bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome. In fact, one wrist has required surgery twice. My hand strength has diminished a lot and it's difficult for me to pull these socks down and away from my body. Painful, too. Any ideas on how I can remove these socks without having to work so hard? I would also be interested in knowing about any preferences in brands of compression socks you'd recommend. My first socks are Mediven, made in Germany and cost $83.99 per pair! By the way, Medicare does not cover these socks. Thanks so much.
    Thanks for all of these responses. I'm impressed with the helpful concern that you all expressed over my little problem.

Spyder Garage

I wear the same 20-30 range socks and have found that inserting 2 fingers behind them at the back of the calf and beginning to roll then down the leg really helps. I found it is really hard to just pull them down. I bought mine for $26 from the place that did my ankle artery surgery.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze