Spyder Garage

Default Bumped from behind -- how bad is this fender damage?

I was leading a group and when leaving a stop sign, they person behind me thought I was "going" when in fact I was moving forward to try to get a view of oncoming traffic.

BONK.

They bumped into me at super low speed and hit dead center in the rear fender. From what I can tell (and I can't find any good info in the service manual) it just broke the plastic fender loose. Seems like it would be called a fender skirt or something, but I guess it's the actual fender. So now it sits almost on the rear tire. It was ok while moving because the air pressure keeps it away from the tire, but something is obviously loose.

Does anyone know what is actually wrong? I can see what looks like what might be a spot where a pin pokes through from the hard plastic tail piece through the fender, but then it also looks like there should be a series of tabs or something holding it on. I can't feel anything or get it to "re-seat" by pushing it in any direction.

I'm going to try to get into a service dept today or tomorrow, but who knows what that will cost. If it's just a broken pin it would be nice if I could just fix it.

Anything else I should check for? I looked at both saddle bags, etc., on either side and everything's fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 Spyder RT Ltd Petrol Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

that should just pop right back in

Spyder Garage

Seems that way, but it doesn't. Or I can't figure out how to make it.
    2022 Spyder RT Ltd Petrol Metallic

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    that should just pop right back in

It should, but I too had mine come loose and it kept coming back loose. I ended up going down to Lowes and picking up some plastic rivets to hold it together.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-18-2023 at 09:27 AM.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

If there are plastic tabs that have been broken or bent, and I bet there is, it isn't going to pop back in. Being the curious type I would have to remove it and see just what the issue is, but I think Blacklightning has the plan.
    2015 RT , Black