Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default The Strength of ....Paper

I get my cat food through "Chewy" .... by mail ...... The last box had different "packing to prevent damage" .... they didn't use "peanuts" or wrinkled up paper ..... the individual Can containers were protected by blocks of PAPER .... each block (4" X 10") had a "honeycomb" of vertical paper 2" thick with a glued sheet of paper top & bottom (to hold it together) .... to see how strong it was, I stood on it, and it didn't collapse .... I weigh 170 lbs. and I was amazed. The blocks weighed less than one ounce each ...... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-16-2023 at 12:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

I used to air drop high explosives, rockets, mortar shells, etc, from 500 feet running 250 MPH, with only a small drogue chute to keep the pallet upright and guide it in. The ammo pallets had corrogated crushable packing between the pallet and the plywood the ammo was sitting on. Never saw one explode on impact.

You talking about 170 pounds. I am talking about 4,000 plus pounds of high explosives traveling at over 100 MPH when it hits.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File...op_pallets.jpg
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

When I was very young, working at the airplane factory in Washington, I learned about honeycomb panels used in jet planes. Incredibly light and strong.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

The honeycomb is one of the strongest structural designs known and we learned about it from the bees. Amazing.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited