Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

All kind of new inovations, but how much do they cost, and how long will they last?
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

To me, the only turn-off of the EV lifestyle is the charging stations.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    To me, the only turn-off of the EV lifestyle is the charging stations.
    .... I just heard - how many they have in Vermont .....408 for the entire State .....we only have a population of approx. 350,000 ... which means 857.8 people have to share ONE charger ..... I guarantee you if the Administration changes in 24 , all this EV silliness will come to a stop ,... I have Nothing against EV's, however they should have built the infrastructure FIRST ....JMHO ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2RTsGV View Post
    That would leave the potential for a lot of people stranded on a snow covered mountain without the means to recharge the batteries
    Na……all you need to do is replace your trunk with a petrol generator, 2RTs……problem solved

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

With BRP's track record for obtaining even simple replacement electronic components, if anything ever went wrong with an electric Spyder you'd probably die of old age waiting for parts to arrive.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I'm interested in seeing what Can Am comes up with. When Tesla came out people poo pooed them; "not far enough", "not enough stations", "too long to charge", blah, blah, blah. Now everywhere you go there is a Tesla, Toyota, Honda or whatever EV. Their mapping sofware shows you where the chargers are and alerts you when you should charge. EV charging stations are being added all the time. When my barber put in a new shop he chose the new site because it had 4 electric charging stations nearby, maybe 100 feet front his door. Grocery stores, hotels, and restraunts around here are adding them too.

The guy at my my local BMW motorcycle shop has been riding one of those BMW C Evolution electric scooters year round for at least 3 years. 50 mile round trip. He absolutley loves it.

Are they for everyone and every climate? Nope, not now, but with the rate that technology is changing they could be in the next few years.

I'm interested in them and may buy something like a Zero or an electric BMW motorcycle or scooter at some point.
    Last edited by Lee0123; 12-16-2023 at 05:39 PM.
    Lee B
    2022 Can Am RT Limited
    2021 Honda NC750X DCT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    So this is the headline I saw the other day "Toyota is planning a new EV with a 900-mile range and 10-minute charging time: ‘The holy grail of battery vehicles" So never say never say never. I have also seen some new tech with solar power (like a panel) that comes in a roll you roll it out hook it up and it generates power. I never thought everyone would have a phone in their pocket let alone a computer in there too so I'm not a naysayer anymore.
    What they don't tell you is the replacement cost of the batteries when they fail. A Tesla battery is between 5-7k.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    I can say I will not be a customer of any electric Spyder
    I won't be a customer of any electric spyder.

I think that the electric snowmobiles will be for the places that offer group rides for people who are visiting. Example: Tourist areas.

Also, the tourist areas will have the range, and a loop/area for them to ride. What about the charging stations?

(off topic, I am a snowmobile rider; when I ride my gas-powered sled, I usually ride about 80 to 100 miles a day round trip).

What happens if someone is on the trail with an electric snowmobile, and they break down/run the battery flat in the middle of nowhere, and there is no charging station nearby to charge the snowmobile. I am just putting the above out there.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-16-2023 at 08:29 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    What they don't tell you is the replacement cost of the batteries when they fail. A Tesla battery is between 5-7k.
    With the steady advancement in battery technology, that cost continues to go down. If the battery health on my Tesla Model Y goes below 70% during the warranty period (8yrs/120k miles) Tesla will replace it for free.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    In the case of a new Hyundai Ioniq 5 even if you scratch the battery cover(on the bottom of the vehicle) the warranty is voided and the battery has to be replaced at a cost of $60,000 Canada dollars... more than the original purchase price of the car.

The guy had to make an insurance claim and they totaled the car.

So much for being green just think of all of the emissions that went into building that car and it is trashed not even a year later.

Who is going to pay for the privilege of buying a new battery that costs more than a brand new car?

Plus the fallacy of the batteries themselves of being green. All they are doing is creating more carbon somewhere else down the line.

If you want to go "green" go with hydrogen cells.

Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 12-17-2023 at 09:24 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

If an electric Spyder was available when I bought my F3 Limited I would have bought it instead…probably. Just before switching to 3 wheels, one of my bikes was an Energica Ribelle. Awesome ride. I used it for both commuting and light touring. If an electric Spyder has a 150 mile freeway range at 70’ish mph and DC charging (at least 3kw but ideally 6kw) it would only take about 30 minutes to recharge based on charge times for my Energica (3kw).

Both of my cars (Tesla and Bolt) are electric and my Tesla is my road trip EV which I’ve take from the SF Bay Area to Southern California, Seattle, and Las Vegas. I doubt any more cross country trips are in my future so in my case, EVs do just fine.

As was mentioned before, with the right electric motors, the acceleration never gets old, especially when I had my Ribelle and also in my Model Y Performance.

Spyder Garage

I have ridden a friends Zero electric street bike. It is neat, kinda quick but certainly no 1000cc sportbike.

Friends Tesla Plaid, that car is very quick. My friend and owner of the Plaid is a former IMSA and Indy car driver. When he rings out the car, you best be ready. The acceleration buries you completely in the seat. With the suspension changes he made, not only is the car quick, but corners impressive and the big brakes compliment the package.

As for an electric Spyder. Maybe we would get one, but I certainly would not sign up until I got a real test ride to see how it does.

Also, it sounds like state governments are going to charge a yearly EV tax for EV’s and hybrids with plug in. My wife’s hybrid is not a plug in version, so all vehicle motion is generated from gasoline. Therefore no EV tax on hers. EV motorcycles that plug in are getting the tax if and when it passes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by broderp View Post
    Why not? Usually with electric comes gobs of torque and many cool gadgets. The only downside side would be range if you do long trips. In a few years, I'd consider it...
    I live in rural South Carolina and it can be scary trying to find a Gas pump and a charging station would be a joke.
    2011 Can AM RT-S SE5 Red

Spyder Garage

It's going to happen, it will be interesting to see the finish product. I am not going to be the Debbie downer till I see it! Do any of you remember what a cell phone looked like back when? TV's, ect,ect! Ten years ago would you ever thought you would watch track racing, with electric cars out there, or motorcycles? Embrace it boys and girls, it's going to happen even if we hate it!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

For those that have purchased and enjoy their EV's great, and don't forget that most were bought with taxpayer subsidies that came from borrowed money. As far as being better for "climate change" only in the minds of those that are pushing this narrative. It seems they don't tell you where the batteries and technology is coming from and no one is talking about building new green power plants and who will pay for those even if they could get the permits to build some (not in my backyard sydrome).
    Sources of energy will change when they are competitive and reliable not when the VIP fly arround in private jets while you are supposed to buy EV.
    Last point look at the fianancial statements and latest news from the EV manufacturers who have lost $B (Ford) and are now stepping back from the "I have to be first because its new technology"?JMO

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by broderp View Post
    Why not? Usually with electric comes gobs of torque and many cool gadgets. The only downside side would be range if you do long trips. In a few years, I'd consider it...
    If they don't have the range of my current Spyder, F3S " and they will not" I would not be a customer for any elect bike.
    I have tested out the ZERO and yes it's fast but you better bring something else to ride home, if you want to ride in the Sierras.

Spyder Garage

One of the things that no EV manufacturer tells you about EVs is that when the temperature drops, the range drops even more. With temps at 20 degrees F and below, they can lose 40% or more of their "claimed" range. What good is that for a snowmobile? It is not good for cars either if you live in a place that gets real winter. As others here have said, there is nothing "green" about them. Producing one EV emits as much carbon monoxide as the average gas powered vehicle emits over the course of being driven 150,000 miles. Also, you can look up lithium mining and see what that does to the environment. Not to mention cobalt mines and the young kids in the Congo that are being paid peanuts to stand knee deep in toxic chemicals to mine cobalt. The narratives that push EVs are a scam.
    Last edited by GrayRyder; 12-17-2023 at 12:55 PM.
    2023 Spyder RT Ltd
    2023 RT Ltd , Hyper Silver Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    So this is the headline I saw the other day "Toyota is planning a new EV with a 900-mile range and 10-minute charging time: ‘The holy grail of battery vehicles" So never say never say never. I have also seen some new tech with solar power (like a panel) that comes in a roll you roll it out hook it up and it generates power. I never thought everyone would have a phone in their pocket let alone a computer in there too so I'm not a naysayer anymore.
    I WILL believe it when I see it. I am still waiting for BRP--electric anything. You all remember my April Fool announcement several years back showing BRP's "picture" of an electric Spyder. Turns out, it did not even have an engine in it. And that is no joke.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default electric spyder next?

Gwolf wrote"Another good reason is a lot of houses burn down during flooding from hurricanes and tropical storms in Florida, caused by electric vehicles going partially under water. "

Not trying to start a pissing match Gwolf but I'd be really interested to see the statistics about this actually happening. Sounds like a factoid without any basis.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I would never but an electric bike or car , Battery replacement cost and range are a turn off. My brother in law bought an electric car and had the battery replaced by the dealer twice, once because of a fire risk and for a faulty part in the battery pack. And if you get in to an accident with an electric car/truck there is a good chance for it to catch on fire with you in it.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hut1 View Post
    With the steady advancement in battery technology, that cost continues to go down. If the battery health on my Tesla Model Y goes below 70% during the warranty period (8yrs/120k miles) Tesla will replace it for free.
    Just remember, that is 8 years or 120k whichever comes FIRST.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Gwolf wrote"Another good reason is a lot of houses burn down during flooding from hurricanes and tropical storms in Florida, caused by electric vehicles going partially under water. "

Not trying to start a pissing match Gwolf but I'd be really interested to see the statistics about this actually happening. Sounds like a factoid without any basis.

Al in Kazoo
    Ain't gonna debate it. It happens. You won't see it in the mainstream news, because it does not fit their narrative. You will see it in the local news, local papers, and local TV.

You are more than welcome to drive an electric car into your swimming pool and watch what happens. Once they catch on fire, there is plenty of eyewitness accounts and fire department reports documenting how hard it is to put them out.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-17-2023 at 05:36 PM. Reason: themn ... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Additional information, including more specific information and recommendations for electric and hybrid vehicles which have been submerged or partially sumbmerged in salt water.

CBS news report on some EVs bursting into flames after storm surge of hurricane Idelia;

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hurrica...20electrolyte.

Spyder Garage

This is better than an oil thread!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    With BRP's track record for obtaining even simple replacement electronic components, if anything ever went wrong with an electric Spyder you'd probably die of old age waiting for parts to arrive.
    so much this. They can't even fix what they have now. You think the BRP dealer network and whatever techs they have are going to want to deal with electric spyders or rykers.

plus.. as everyone has stated allready. EV's are not actually better for the environment, then carbon foot print is just in a different spot in the process.
    2013 RS , Custom black and green