Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

You EV haters crack me up. I'll buy an electric Spyder as soon as they become available. Most of my riding is around town and pretty local.

I own a Tesla Model 3 and a Model Y. Best 2 cars I have ever owned. Period!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The electric spyder is in the same class as the electric car for me. Yes, my wife might get one, so there would be one in my household. But as for me, I will stick with the good old tried and true. The other day a Tesla pulled up beside me on my mustang. The wife said, "looks like he wants to race". I said, he might, but if we do he might even beat me. But it wont have the sound, so I don't want it. But to each there own.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    You EV haters crack me up. I'll buy an electric Spyder as soon as they become available. Most of my riding is around town and pretty local.

Like I said in a previous post enjoy what you bought but calling anyone who disagrees with your superior choice an "EV hater" is a bit much in my opinion.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blackphoenix38 View Post
    so much this. They can't even fix what they have now. You think the BRP dealer network and whatever techs they have are going to want to deal with electric spyders or rykers.

plus.. as everyone has stated allready. EV's are not actually better for the environment, then carbon foot print is just in a different spot in the process.
    Should be less moving parts! Maybe they'll be able to fix it!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I don't hate EVs, I just have no use for them, since they will not do what I need to do with a vehicle. I would not buy one. They would be fairly useless hooked on the equipment trailer with 3 or 4 tons of tractor and equipment loaded on it. Doubt they would hold up to hauling trailer loads of hay all day either. There is no time to stop and charge up some over-priced toy when you are hauling hay and the thunderstorms are building up. If I was driving around town, they might work, but from where I live, they wouldn't even make it to the closest good sized town and back. I don't own a car. I only have trucks and tractors, and a Spyder.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

So far, so good folks.

Moderator talk here:

Keep it friendly. This is one of those subjeccts where opinions can be very firm. We have no problems with those whose opinions differ. There is room on this site for both sides on this forum. Keep it friendly. Express your opinion, but don't run down anothers if it is not yours. You are not going to change anyone's opinion with a small argument. Of course, they are wrong and we are right.

If it goes the way controversial topics go, it will get hotter and hotter and then the deletes, or worse will happen, and then, we will shut it down. We have a set of rules that are enforced. Don't get on the wrong side of the site rules, and you will be fine.

I would like to come back in a couple months and see the thread still running.

Oh, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Years.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

OK I'll put my popcorn down!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post

I'm not an EV hater. If I was rich and didn't travel long distance or wanted to wait endlessly for a charge (while on the road), I wouldn't mind an EV.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

I know we are supposed to keep politics out of here.
    The Canadian government just announced that by 2035 that all new cars sold must be EV's
    Dealers must have 20% by 2026.
    I wonder how the motor companies will react to this, and the oil industries as well.
    Hate to own a gas station.
    Don't dislike EV's so much, but I can't afford one.
    What will happen to gas prices, cost's as much to fill the Ryker as what it costed to fill the car a few years ago.
    Rant over.
    Bruce.

Spyder Garage

Just reminding everyone that while the post above from Raven is fine, the Rules for this Forum go WELL beyond "knowing we are supposed to keep politics out of here" and extend into

YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO POST POLITICAL COMMENTARY OR POSTS OF A POLITICAL NATURE ON THIS FORUM!

Any posts breaching that 'No Political Posts' Rule will be removed and the poster may earn themselves an infraction &/or time off the Forum as a result. The determination of 'what is political or not' is at the discretion of the Mod/Admin Team's deliberations; and while we try very hard not to stifle reasonable discussion, if they trigger inappropriate/rule breaking responses, we may also decide that posts like the one above that should be OK as they are not strictly 'political' in their nature, at least initially, but could also be removed without notice because of what they've triggered.

So further to the earlier warning from ARtraveler about keeping it friendly and the reminder that we WILL be enforcing the Forum Rules, Please keep your posts and the discussion within the bounds of those Rules.

I'm sure that collectively, we CAN do this, if we put our minds to it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-20-2023 at 08:31 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I work for a small, family-owned, independent, used car dealership. The owner has been very reluctant to embrace EV's. But he is also a businessman and wants to survive and prosper. With the state mandate (Delaware and other states) towards increasing new EV sales and limiting new ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) vehicles, he sees greater sales opportunities for used ICE vehicles to those not wanting an EV. But he also is beginning to recognize that being one of the first small dealerships in the area to market used electric vehicles may create a profitable niche for his business. He's "cautiously" moving in that direction and recently acquired and sold his first used Tesla. Navigating the changing incentives creates additional challenges and opportunities for dealers. Like most of his dealer friends and competitors, he is against the mandate, but he also wants to stay in business. We'll see how it works out. Stay tuned.......
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just a warning that used EV's come with used EV batteries. Just saying....

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

When BRP / Can Am does introduce an electric version of the Spyder, seeing what technology they utilize will be an indicator of what we might expect from the vehicle.

Granted, the Gen 3 RT series is a larger overall chassis and bodywork platform than the Gen 1 and Gen 2. This can allow for grafting in electric drive components, and keep the weight low, with good front to rear weight bias. My curiosity will be how they couple the motor to the drive wheels. Will BRP retain a central mounted drive motor, or design and incorporate a modern technology electric motor as part of the rear wheel, or as part of all three wheels?

Utilizing three smaller drive motors, one per wheel, each with regenerative capability, would or could improve overall vehicle handling, safety and with front wheels pulling, assisting the rear, acceleration, cornering, and even braking can be improved.

As many folks understand, even as simply as comparing EV performance to a cordless drill, battery technology is one portion of the performance output. As battery capacity increases, provided adequate discharge rates can be exploited, that allows for improved higher output from the motor. Comparing to the cordless drill, years ago, when the first cordless tools arrived, the motors were brushed type, with primitive speed controls and NiCd batteries. Many of us found the convenience of a cordless tool handy. At the time though, the cordless tools had the disadvantages, compared to there plug it in counterpart's, of short battery life until discharged, and often barely enough torque / power from the motor, along with a two step switch / speed control.

Now, with technology, we have moved away from those early NiCd batteries, thru the NiMh battery era, into the latest battery types. As battery performance improved, the motor types have improved, voltages of the operating systems have gone from 6 volt, to 7.2 volt, of early types, to the point where some tools are now approaching 50 volts. Battery capacity has increased, safe discharge rates are improved, and recharge times are a fraction of what we first accepted, plus the batteries are much lighter weight.

Telephone technology is similar. Was not that long ago when we had phones that were wired to the phone system, you rotated the dial to enter the number being called, later came push buttons, and now these days, cell phones dominate compared to old school wired phones.

Will an electric version of the Spyder succeed or fail? My guess is that those of us that grew up on gasoline powered vehicles will eventually pass away, and with that, the newer generations behind us will embrace newer technology as rapidly as it is released.

Will the newest technology always be best, or last for eternity? No, change happens. When you consider, the gasoline engine, now maybe about 140 years old, has gone from large displacement, low power output make / break type engine designs to run early 1900s equipment, then became refined for early automobiles, to the high output, fuel efficient engines of today, it becomes obvious that technology happens.
    Consider that the steam engine, and even steam engine powered cars competed for acceptance and survival, when gasoline powered cars arrived. Fast forward, and EV type machines are competing against gasoline powered cars. Recall it was not that long ago, when Toyota released the Prius. Certainly no high performance machine compared to EV offered now.

As for how the politics manipulate, subsidize and somewhat force things upon us, be it EV, TSA, Covid Vaccines or whatever, those antics have gone on forever. Again that will not change, and is wasted breath to discuss.

Regarding environmental impacts, we shall never know, but if we asked the early inventors of internal combustion engines, and showed them the modern day concerns of pollution, and environmental drawbacks to obtain raw materials and produce fuels, would those same inventors still have gone forward. They probably would have gone forward since they were improving things away from external combustion engines that heated water to steam, by burning coal or wood.

Whether we embrace or loathe new technology, typically it is unavoidable.

Last month, we got our first hybrid vehicle. Not a plug in, or electric only, but a gasoline burning hybrid. So far, it is a very nice vehicle, smart beyond compare, efficient, powerful and more. Durability and enjoyment over time will be a factor. Simply time will tell.
    Not to be fully onboard for electrics though, I still have two stroke motorcycles and lawn equipment, a non ethanol gasoline powered lawn mower, my 2010 Tacoma and the 99 Ford van with that 5.4 litre V8.

If I was asked back in the 1980s or even 1990s if electric cars would be common, my answer would have been a solid no. My greater fear today though, and knowing it is well in development, is electric aircraft, including electric airliners.

Have fun, avoid political talk so you avoid those bancations.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sometimes though, technology does hit a brick wall and dies. Two examples are nuclear powered aircraft and super sonic transport. Sometimes market is the brick wall. Consider microwave ovens. They were originally touted as a be all for all sorts of oven use. Now they are mostly used for reheating. And consider Beta vs VHS. The superior tech, Beta, lost out to VHS because of what appealed most to users, the user interface and run time.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

When range and recharging time issues are solved, we will all go electric whether we like it or not. But we are far from there at this point. I no longer plan on touring with my Spyder, but I still make day trips that involve going about 125 to 150 miles, stopping an hour or so for a leisurely lunch, then riding that 125 to 150 miles home. Until electric can handle that type of trip with some range to spare in case of an emergency, then I am not interested in the least.

This thread makes me think about my last visit to the Mini Cooper dealer to get my Mini serviced. On the showroom floor was a new Mini that is all electric. The price was right, about $32,000 but the range was minuscule, about 40 miles I was told. That might work for a hybrid, but for a plug-in electric that is pitifully inadequate.

I don't think we'll be seeing viable electric motorcycles anytime soon. Ask HD how they are doing with their Lightning model.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-20-2023 at 11:32 PM.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Maybe she is wrong…and the photo is correct
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

The EV situation may come around someday. That's what they keep telling us. But right now, it's not looking good. EV's are not selling. They are backing up on dealer lots and manufacturers have brand new ones sitting everywhere. Manufacturers aren't over-producing these vehicles to meet demand. They are doing it because it is being mandated. Toyota just fired their CEO because he wasn't complying, saying that the EV was going to be a big loser. That hybrids are cleaner, more efficient, more reliable, less expensive to produce, and cheaper to maintain. All accurate. At least in regards to the current situation. But truth and reality are not popular standards these days. Toyota had to bring in someone who would comply, even if it is a bad idea, to keep selling in the US and Europe.

It is well known and documented that EV's are increasing world pollution compared to fossil fuel vehicles. We've just moved it out of our back yard to someone else's where we can pretend it isn't happening.

All manufacturers are losing money on EV's, except for Tesla. And Tesla is now having to reduce pricing to move their cars. Ford loses $36,000.00 on every F150 EV they sell. In a world where reality rules, this would not last very long.

Free enterprise capitalism encourages manufacturers to make what the customer wants to buy. As we stray ever farther into a world where manufacturers are forced to make products that people don't want, we can expect to have these problems. We can continue to hope for a silver lining. But doing what works would be a better approach, I think.

And that, folks, is why I don't think you're going to see an EV Spyder anytime soon, if ever. It has not yet been mandated. And, to some extent, capitalism still has sway in that market.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-21-2023 at 09:21 AM. Reason: manufactures .... ;-)
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Ron, see post #59

Spyder Garage

Lets get this straight. The whole idea of EV's is based on views espoused by one group's view of things. If you don't agree with that group, you are pedaling misinformation or don't understand the science. God forbid anyone with an alternative explanation, you are outcast to the troublemaker pile to the detriment of the discussion. In a free-thinking environment, wrongs are righted and vice versa eg;

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=c0960...AxajNFMA&ntb=1

I'm pretty sure BRP don't have a 'we have all the answers' division to base their building anything electric on, they are at the whim of another group's view of things. See how it works.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-20-2023 at 11:29 PM.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Ford loses $36,000.00 on every F150 EV they sell.
    According to the institute for energy research they are actually losing $60,000 per vehicle and they are now cutting production by 50% and GM is doing similar.

https://www.instituteforenergyresear...ther%20issues.

Key Takeaways

1. Despite pouring billions of investors’ dollars into electric vehicles and billions more from federal and state governments, EV sales growth is slowing.

2. Ford is cutting planned production of its electric F-150 in half for 2024, after losing $60,000 per electric vehicle sold.

3. General Motors is delaying its electric pickups after facing similar results.

4. As more consumers learn of the higher cost insurance, limited range, difficulties charging and high interest rates due in part to spending excesses from pushing net-zero energy policies, they have been reluctant to lay out large sums for electric vehicles.

5. The trend will hurt the goal to have half of all vehicles sold by 2030 be electric.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-20-2023 at 11:28 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    I know we are supposed to keep politics out of here.
    The Canadian government just announced that by 2035 that all new cars sold must be EV's
    Dealers must have 20% by 2026.
    I wonder how the motor companies will react to this, and the oil industries as well.
    Hate to own a gas station.
    Don't dislike EV's so much, but I can't afford one.
    What will happen to gas prices, cost's as much to fill the Ryker as what it costed to fill the car a few years ago.
    Rant over.
    Bruce.
    From one Bruce to another.....two Canadian Provinces have already surpassed the 2026 date. Both the Province of Quebec and the Province of Brtish Columbia have reached that goal. To purchase an EV in BC, you’re put on a waiting list....the dealers cannot get them fast enough, and, I might point out that politics has nothing to do with it, the people LIKE the EV’s.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

BC & Quebec are the two most major provinces where the electricity is produced by water power and is cheap. My daughter just bought a VW ID.4 EV and got a total of $12,000 government rebates.

I personally love the feel of the V-twin in my '08 GS SM5 and love changing gears (most of the time). An EV Spyder does not interest me.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

A Spyder that could go 900 miles on a ten minute charge would be very cool. Especially if it was lighter, more powerful, and costs less.
    2023 RT Limited , Red/ black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasdog View Post
    A Spyder that could go 900 miles on a ten minute charge would be very cool. Especially if it was lighter, more powerful, and costs less.
    BUT,
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If BRP can not build a seat shock that works, how can they possibly build an electric three wheeler? It's somewhat of a joke, but jus sayin.