Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Spyder Garage

The first electric car in the United States was developed in 1890–91 by William Morrison of Des Moines, Iowa
    ; the vehicle was a six-passenger wagon capable of reaching a speed of 23 km/h (14 mph).
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Any guesses on where all the silver and lithium is going to come from to create this pipe dream.There simply isn't enough on the planet to accomplish the set targets.It's pointless even discussing battery life, range etc without facing reality and wondering what the real goals are here.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just a general comment .... this RUSH to EV's and going All Electric EVERYTHING is a Dream .... a Dream that isn't going to come true for at least 50 years and maybe not ever ..... Almost all the major manufacturers are getting huge subsidies and even with those, they are losing money on every EV they sell. ..... I've read where the car makers are designing the EV's with the ability to put Gas engines in them when people realize the reality of EV ownership. EV's are not even possible in cities...... JMHO .... good luck .....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-23-2023 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

No doubt infrastructure to charge current designs is important.
    However, like military jets and weapons technology, battery technology is advancing also.
    It was not that long ago, when NiCd technology was the peak in affordable, rechargeable battery technology. As some engineers workedto improve NiCd capacity of each battery, while also improving charge and discharge rates, other teams were working next gen NiMh type batteries. And now, not that long ago, the Lithium based batteries arrived, and today there are variations on the Lithium battery technology, advancing it from where it started.

During lunch recently, my friend that is fully on board with electric vehicles, and his entire house operates on solar energy, described what he has been reading in his engineering publications, where they are now extracting battery elements, from ocean water. He mentioned this will be lithiums and lithium minings replacement.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    However, like military jets and weapons technology, battery technology is advancing also.
    It was not that long ago, when NiCd technology was the peak in affordable, rechargeable battery technology. As some engineers workedto improve NiCd capacity of each battery, while also improving charge and discharge rates, other teams were working next gen NiMh type batteries. And now, not that long ago, the Lithium based batteries arrived, and today there are variations on the Lithium battery technology, advancing it from where it started.

During lunch recently, my friend that is fully on board with electric vehicles, and his entire house operates on solar energy, described what he has been reading in his engineering publications, where they are now extracting battery elements, from ocean water. He mentioned this will be lithiums and lithium minings replacement.
    Where have we heard trust the science before recently and how is that going for the people that died suddenly.
    Paranoid about being herded into something the majority don't want, you bet I am.
    I can show evidence and have done on here before that the energy consumed (oil) to produce the raw materials to go green actually exceed the perceived benefits of the changeover.We don't control the media so our science gets censored.
    Silver was in deficit this last year to the tune of millions of ounces, the price is manipulated to the advantage of the banks making it's price virtually nothing, $24 an ounce currently whereas it's true value like gold hasn't been realised for over a century but projections into the ten's of thousands per ounce when the illegal manipulation ends will make solar panels unviable to say the least.
    If you don't think the whole thing is another scam and it turns out to be so how are you going to recompense those you have wronged?
    Brainwashing takes many forms and is the work of the minority over the majority.
    China is happily building coal fired power stations, Russia is exporting oil, Saudi doesn't take US dollars for oil any more and we are supposed to believe we're not being set up to fail, give me a break!
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Where have we heard trust the science before recently and how is that going for the people that died suddenly.
    Paranoid about being herded into something the majority don't want, you bet I am.
    I can show evidence and have done on here before that the energy consumed (oil) to produce the raw materials to go green actually exceed the perceived benefits of the changeover.We don't control the media so our science gets censored.
    Silver was in deficit this last year to the tune of millions of ounces, the price is manipulated to the advantage of the banks making it's price virtually nothing, $24 an ounce currently whereas it's true value like gold hasn't been realised for over a century but projections into the ten's of thousands per ounce when the illegal manipulation ends will make solar panels unviable to say the least.
    If you don't think the whole thing is another scam and it turns out to be so how are you going to recompense those you have wronged?
    Brainwashing takes many forms and is the work of the minority over the majority.
    China is happily building coal fired power stations, Russia is exporting oil, Saudi doesn't take US dollars for oil any more and we are supposed to believe we're not being set up to fail, give me a break!
    While I do respect your own viewpoint, from the conspiracy theory, political, and documented concerns you wrote about, understand too, my words were merely based on previous, current, and possible future technology of rechargeable batteries.

Since this website is moderated with published rules against some of the issues you posted about, there is no means to reply on your words without upsetting the proverbial apple cart, resulting in a Bancation.
    All the best to you, in regards to your point of view regarding this topic.

Spyder Garage

Don't sell your bicycle.............
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post

We have a company in Alberta that has a pilot project that was successful in extracting lithium from the formation water of a produced/producing oil reservoir. They are trying to go commercial but that is still years away. Some day down the road and beyond we will move to new/old sources of energy like nuclear for power generation but that is not in vogue just yet.

Spyder Garage

Battery technology will continue continue to evolve. As this happens EV's will become more practical. I like my hybrid Rav4, but for now a total electric vehicle is not practical for me. This may change in the future, but the technology and the market will be the driving force, not mandates. New types of batteries are sure to be developed, we will have to wait and see if any are practical. Hemp batteries are the newest I have heard of. https://sustainablewave.com/hemp-batteries/
    2015 F3-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

WOW, now that is sure a different use for hemp.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    ..... Kudo's to you .... glad you had the *alls to explain the reality of the current situation ..... I think it would be great to have ZERO emissions, but it isn't going to happen in my expected (hopefully) lifetime. .... Folks Claim that Science means Lower CO-2 levels are necessary to our existence .... Real Science is that without CO-2 all plant life would DIE. .... good luck to all and Merry Christmas ......JMHO ...Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-25-2023 at 03:41 PM. Reason: isn'\t ... + ;-)

Spyder Garage

I find it incredible that people are believing that our air is dirty. Everywhere I go everyone is happily alive and thriving. Put me down in the growing room of climate skeptics. There is no way I would ever want to own or operate an electric motorcycle at highway speeds for personal enjoyment or desire. It just goes against everything “motorcycles” were created for. Thinking about it deeply makes me cringe but it is quickly changed to laughter. Every auto manufacturer is facing incredible challenges of creating these as replacements. There isn’t the money, the materials or the buyers waiting to invest in these vehicles.

I know a few engineers who outfitted their own homes with solar and/or geothermal energy for extremely high prices. All they did was to purchase their energy for the future upfront and hope to break even in 30 years. If they sell their home they are out of luck. Buyers aren’t willing to pay for the theoretical costs somebody else chose for them. Nor do they want to buy expensive equipment that has a high likelihood to be discontinued and hard to service.

Many manufacturers are all led by the same type of people. They all breathe different air than regular people. Many of their ideas are against the best interests of consumers. My proof of that is how difficult and/or expensive repair costs have become for modern vehicles and appliances. My good friend who is very wealthy from personal hard work and long hours as a real estate broker with over a billion dollars in savings owns a late model $90,000 BMW X5 with a bad headlight. The service department quoted him $10,000 to replace it. The ability to make these repairs is being quickly diminished. These new EV vehicles are all unaffordable to the middle-class masses. The people are not going to stand for this. The policies put in place by certain individuals are going to be overruled and sanity will have to be restored.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-25-2023 at 03:46 PM. Reason: saves ... ;-)
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..... Folks Claim that Science means Lower CO-2 levels are necessary to our existence .... Real Science is that without CO-2 all plant life would DIE. .... good luck to all and Merry Christmas ......JMHO ...Mike

Yep, just as the earth needs water to live, but what happens when there is too much water? Everything dies! The key is to find the happy medium, not too much, not too little. We don't know yet what that balance point is for CO2. Everyone is just guessing.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-25-2023 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Yep, just as the earth needs water to live, but what happens when there is too much water? Everything dies! The key is to find the happy medium, not too much, not too little. We don't know yet what that balance point is for CO2. Everyone is just guessing.
    On my CO-2 comment ..... I have read geologist/scientists have learned (through Carbon dating) that during the dinosaur time period the CO-2 PPM was in the 5000 range and the plant-life on Earth was at enormous levels .... According to "climate activists" they say that 250 to 300 ppm's is what it should be ..... currently it's in the 400 ppm range ..... I have also read that the major producer of CO-2 are ..... PEOPLE ...This does not bode well for us !!!!Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-25-2023 at 03:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

The planet has some built in safeguards like the Polar current that flows up the West side of Africa across to Greenland and down the East side of North America that stores and freezes C02 and methane in the form of hydrates just off the continental shelf. Natural occurring volcanoes can put far more gases in the atmosphere in a very short time frame than people generated C02.

Climate is measured by nature in hundreds of thousands of years or longer but I do agree that over population will be a much greater problem resulting in mass starvation. JMO

Merry Christmas to those that celebrate the holiday.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-25-2023 at 03:51 PM. Reason: atmoshere ... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Could it be some are programmed to thinking they are superior to whatever created this place and don't understand whatever they say and do has zero effect on the final outcome?
    Science has become corrupted by money and morphed into control measures. I can no longer take seriously any 'instructions' on how to run my life from any brains trust, authority, stand-over merchants, religious groups, con men, email, ethnic groups, etc. etc. etc.

Our collective consciousness runs this planet, we just need to realize that we're in charge and no one else. Until the freethinkers are unshackled, do you really want to risk handing over decisions to corporations?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-25-2023 at 08:32 PM.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

Today on the local news they reported a story about an EV car ..... A guy bought a 2014 Infiniti HYBRID three years ago .... it had 70,000 miles on it .... He recently discovered that the batteries needed replacing ..... for a Bit over $20,000 ... ( which included over $ 2000.00 in Labor ..... interesting ....Mike

Spyder Garage

How about a re-direct on the topic here? The thread title is Electric Spyder.

We have all kind of moved off of that subject and are now talking about the future of EV's.

Is this time to close the thread ???

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    How about a re-direct on the topic here? The thread title is Electric Spyder.

We have all kind of moved off of that subject and are now talking about the future of EV's.

Is this time to close the thread ???
    Based off replies from our northern members here, Canada is seriously pushing the EV type vehicles. With that, very possibly Spyders may have no say and become regulated to electric power only.

The trickle down technology, along with EV mandates, when Spyders are only available as electrics, hopefully, BRP will have correctly followed the technology used and proven by other manufacturers.

Reading those replies from Canadian Spyder owners, regarding the expectations being set for more EV, it sure seems the current generation of gasoline powered Spyders quite possibly is the last versions of gasoline powered Spyders.

When you consider the gen 1 and gen 2 RT series body style lasted 10 years, that puts the gen 3 RT series up for change in 2030, about the same timeframe they expect EV to be in full swing.

The F3 series meets 10 years in 2025. That said, the F3 series might be the first gen electric powered Spyders in about 2026.

To not discuss EV technology from what exists today, tends to lessen our expectations of the battery powered Spyders to come.

Myself, I expect an all wheel drive Spyder, with similar power to weight ratio as current Spyders, all wheel regenerative ability, and various selectable modes similar to my wifes Lexus hybrid. Also expect the smart features we currently see in cars, SUVs and such. Things such as lane change warning, smart cruise control that establishes a safe distance and maintains it. Automatic braking for collision avoidance.

Can Am continues to show the electric two wheel motorcycle also. If they can not come to terms with adequate range of the electric Spyder, the Spyder series will be discontinued and replaced by the Can Am two wheel electric motorcycle.

The EV is not just limited to cars. These days we have electric powered bicycles, electric lawn equipment, electric motorcycles, and other vehicles besides just golf carts. The technology is being applied and somewhat shared between each user group.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Battery technology has come a long way in 50 years. I bought a battery powered weed trimmer about 50 years ago. Pretty much a useless tool. Then 16 years ago I bought a 28 volt set of Milwaukee power tools. The 1/2" drill will bust your wrist a quickly as a corded drill will. Then this past summer I used a 60 volt DeWalt chain saw to limb fallen trees. Performance is on par with a small gas powered saw and the price is close to the same.

There's no question there are, and will continue to be, significant challenges to make EVs, including a Spyder, a large volume player in the vehicle market. Just don't under estimate the developments that will be coming along. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Spyder, because of its small size, may become a leader in the EV evolution.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 12-27-2023 at 01:01 AM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)