Spyder Garage

Default What size tire/wheel valve stems are used on 2021 Spyder RT?

Hi! I’m replacing the front tires on my 2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited soon. The valve stems in the wheels are likely good for years to come but, it’s not a hard job to replace tire/wheel valve stems, so long as I can buy the correct size. Is this an item I can order from Amazon, which would save me from stopping at the local Can Am dealer. I’d like to hear what others have used, where you purchased them from. TIA

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    Hi! I’m replacing the front tires on my 2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited soon. The valve stems in the wheels are likely good for years to come but, it’s not a hard job to replace tire/wheel valve stems, so long as I can buy the correct size. Is this an item I can order from Amazon, which would save me from stopping at the local Can Am dealer. I’d like to hear what others have used, where you purchased them from. TIA

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    I have had some of my valves re-placed when doing a tire change ..... they were all done at regular auto tire shops .... so the stems weren't from CanAm .... they were the same as used on auto's ..... However, you can tell them what LENGTH you want ..... PS always check the PSI before you use the tires on your Spyder ..... IMHO the PSI will be way higher than what you need ... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-14-2023 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have had some of my valves re-placed when doing a tire change ..... they were all done at regular auto tire shops .... so the stems weren't from CanAm .... they were the same as used on auto's ..... However, you can tell them what LENGTH you want ..... PS always check the PSI before you use the tires on your Spyder ..... IMHO the PSI will be way higher than what you need ... Mike

~~~copy that good buddy! My plan is to do the tire R&R myself using hand tools vs. taking my wheels/tires to a shop that does tire work. I’ll likely start a thread here to document the process for those that might be curious to see how much trouble Jake will get himself into=:-)

In regards to my original question. I’ve been under the impression there are several hole sizes for the air pressure valve (AKA a valve stem). I thought perhaps someone from the Praetorian Guard would come along and enlighten me as to the proper size valve stem needed. It’s not that I don’t want to stop by my local Can Am dealer and purchase the requisite size stem from them, rather Jake doesn’t always get by that side of town hence he finds it far easier to place an order through Amazon, assuming they in fact carry the valve stem I’m looking for

All that said, I placed a ten dollar order (w/Amazon) for a kit that has various valve stems in short and long lengths that may be what I need, along with a few related tools one of which is a valve stem puller which I already have & a valve core removal tool

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

My Honda NT700V, I replaced the stems with 10MM size. I put on 90/87 deg aluminum body style, so I never have to replace them cause of rubber deterioration. They have a rubber o-ring on outside base, and a nut on inside. Don't know what size the Spyder has.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    My Honda NT700V, I replaced the stems with 10MM size. I put on 90/87 deg aluminum body style, so I never have to replace them cause of rubber deterioration. They have a rubber o-ring on outside base, and a nut on inside. Don't know what size the Spyder has.

~~~I purchased several valve stems very similar to what you described here, may even be identical, except the ones I bought and used looked to be made out of brass. I used them on the 1992 BMW R100 GSPD I bought in December 2014. It was a one owner bike and although the owners rode it far and wide (Dempster Hwy., the route in Canada on the eastern side…I forget the name of the road, loop. Part of it at one time the Canadian park service issued to you a mobile phone that was able to get in contact anywhere on that road to be used in the event your vehicle became disabled, as w/o being able to contact the park service for help, you would surely die from exposure, etc. that road, and I’m sure many following here knows which road I speak of, well, it was on my bucket list. I’m not too sure anymore if I could pull off that ride, even with a riding partner. Anyways, that GSPD I bought traveled it and many other far away rides. Sorry, but I digress, I wanted to mention when I changed both tires the OP had someone install tubes in both tires/rims despite this particular R100 having come from the factory with spoked wheels that could run tubeless tires, and I bought the valve stems you mentioned so I could run tubeless tires. That said and as you mentioned, a black rubber o-ring was used to seal the valve stem but, the o-ring would eventually rot and need replacing which I made sure I had several spares. I miss that old GS but I was no longer physically fit enough to keep that bike upright when it counted, IOW, I dropped it one too many times and the last time I needed help getting upright, despite the fact I lowsided it here on our homestead farm

I found a 4 pack of short metal valve stems w/nuts which also uses 2 EPDM rubber washers to seal. The seller states it will fit a normal size .453” hole. I didn’t bother to contact the seller to ask if he/she knew wether it would fit this particular application (2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited) figuring if it doesn’t then I’ll use them next time I replace tires on one of our 2 pick-up trucks. Since I’m typing on my 12.9” iPad gen 4 tablet, I forgot how to copy and paste using the aftermarket keyboard I’m presently using but, the vendor is venystorefl. Price was $15 & change before tax (free shipping ) on eBay. They’re garunteed to withstand 200 PSI so the 17 or 18 PSI. I’ll use wont be an issue, if they ultimately fit. Obviously I’m throwing up several options of valve stems to see which will work. I have an idea the black rubber valve stems I bought in the kit from Amazon will likely fit (I’m thinking) since they’re generally for automotive wheels and likely large enough in diameter to seal, as probably being the same black rubber valve stems Mike (BLUEKNIGHT911) spoke of using on his Spyder

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    I'm glad Jake asked the question because I would love to have an angled valve stem on the rear tire.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    I'm glad Jake asked the question because I would love to have an angled valve stem on the rear tire.

~~~goto eBay and use 90 degree valve stem as your search. Now which 90 degree valve stem will work, you’re on your own=:-) That said, you shouldn’t have too hard a time coming up with the right valve stem. The brass stems with the rubber base (no locking nuts) will prolly work but again it’s a crap shoot unless you do your due diligence. Good luck Ed. I hope you find the valve stem you need w/little bother. BTW, I just received notice from eBay the 4 valve stems I bought with two EPDM Gaskets and 2 locking nuts per stem was shipped today

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart. HL Mencken
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    I bought mine at Kutveygirl .com --- this was the rear tire, they were the Angled ones ..... the diameter was all the same for everyone they sold ..... so I don't think that's an issue when buying them.....Mike

Spyder Garage

https://www.kurveygirl.com/collections/valve-stems

Ill bet BAJARON might be able to call out the correct sized hole in the rear wheel, When he gets to his shop tomorrow

https://www.kurveygirl.com/collectio...-stem-set-2pcs

T.P.
    Last edited by T.P.; 12-17-2023 at 05:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    https://www.kurveygirl.com/collections/valve-stems

Ill bet BAJARON might be able to call out the correct sized hole in the rear wheel, When he gets to his shop tomorrow

https://www.kurveygirl.com/collectio...-stem-set-2pcs

T.P.
    I bought ( and mounted ) the 11.3mm size ...... 10 years ago they didn't offer the smaller size ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Exactly right. They are all the same.

If you do the stems yourself, get you a valve stem puller tool. They are very cheap and indispensable for doing stems. You cut the old stem off but use the puller to pull the new stem in.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Exactly right. They are all the same.

If you do the stems yourself, get you a valve stem puller tool. They are very cheap and indispensable for doing stems. You cut the old stem off but use the puller to pull the new stem in.
    I would put a little dish detergent on the STEM Before pulling it ..... That soap will dis-appear soon after you wash it ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Or Spray with Windex same as we do to get the pins back in the side panel on an RT. Evaporates with no residue

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze