Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't Be Fooled! Looking at you DOES NOT mean they SEE you!

I just read an article by Jay Leno in Haggerty - Driver's Club magazine. If you aren't familiar. Leno is a big enthusiast and has a large collection of vehicles, including motorcycles. He owns the 1st production Spyder. And he rides/drives them as well.

Speaking about motorcycle safety, he advises 'Riding any motorcycle, especially in Los Angeles, takes some skill and focus. Whenever I'm at a light, I look right at the other drivers and try to make eye contact so I know they see me.'

My advice? Don't get fooled! This is not a great idea at all. A driver can, and will, look right at you and not see you. You think you have connection and ride accordingly. But many times, you don't. It's a trap. Not to mention that you're spending precious time, laser focused on one stationary person, when you should be taking in the entire dynamic picture.

Instead, use your time to identify your hazards and assume other drivers DON'T see you at all. it's the only way to stay safe. This approach is even more essential when you are moving.

Forget the eye contact. You can't know what is in another person's head. Rely on the only brain, vision, and vehicle you control. Assumptions can be dangerous.

Have a Great Christmas!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-11-2023 at 10:45 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

At intersections, I keep an eye on the vehicle's front wheel for forward movement. Any, and will be more cautious.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post
    at intersections, i keep an eye on the vehicle's front wheel for forward movement. Any, and will be more cautious.
    THIS!!

I have lived by this for my entire riding career and has saved me many times...

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I look to see which way he is looking.
    See were his wheels are pointing and if they are moving.
    And keep my head on a swivel for the other idiot trying to kill me.
    Also watch for pedestrians, you never know what they will do.

Spyder Garage

RE: Eye contact...there are some people out there that will take eye contact as an affront. If they consider it dis-respect or similar, you could end up in a road rage type of situation.

I also watch that front wheel very carefully.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

I found this article useful in understanding my and others' driving vision https://www.portsmouthctc.org.uk/a-f...-on-the-roads/
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I just read an article by Jay Leno in Haggerty - Driver's Club magazine. If you aren't familiar. Leno is a big enthusiast and has a large collection of vehicles, including motorcycles. He owns the 1st production Spyder. And he rides/drives them as well.

Speaking about motorcycle safety, he advises 'Riding any motorcycle, especially in Los Angeles, takes some skill and focus. Whenever I'm at a light, I look right at the other drivers and try to make eye contact so I know they see me.'

My advice? Don't get fooled! This is not a great idea at all. A driver can, and will, look right at you and not see you. You think you have connection and ride accordingly. But many times, you don't. It's a trap. Not to mention that you're spending precious time, laser focused on one stationary person, when you should be taking in the entire dynamic picture.

Instead, use your time to identify your hazards and assume other drivers DON'T see you at all. it's the only way to stay safe. This approach is even more essential when you are moving.

Forget the eye contact. You can't know what is in another person's head. Rely on the only brain, vision, and vehicle you control. Assumptions can be dangerous.

Have a Great Christmas!
    Thanks for this reminder! I always try to act as though they don't see me. Merry Christmas to all!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I made eye contact with a lady and then she looked down at her seat, looked back up at me, and pulled right out in front of me. I ended up right in a muddy swamp trying to avoid her. Thanks to several witnesses who were more than willing to get muddy, they helped me get my Harley back onto the pavement.

Spyder Garage

I assume nothing! Having a green light just means the other guy MAY stop for a red..... But that doesn't always happen. Lots of people around here are killed by red light runners. Be vigilant, always know others are idiots and stay safe..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I made eye contact with a lady and then she looked down at her seat, looked back up at me, and pulled right out in front of me. I ended up right in a muddy swamp trying to avoid her. Thanks to several witnesses who were more than willing to get muddy, they helped me get my Harley back onto the pavement.
    That's no lady...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Agree all except about assuming. Watch the wheels. Watch the heads. Watch all other body parts, even wave and say Hi!

And then ASSUME: Every other driver has seen you and is trying to kill you. No accident, no mistake. They are trying to kill you. On purpose. Nothing accidental.

BTW, I drive all my vehicles this way, even in the old days when work vehicles had special markings, overhead lights and sirens you’d think would offer special deference….

Stay Safe
    2022 RT Ltd, Deep & Dark Marsala

Spyder Garage

Thank you Ron, for this reminder. It has been my experience that even if they see you, they will still ignore you or figure you are not a significant part of the traffic pattern or that they have the right of way even if they really don't. I agree and have used the watch the wheels method all my riding life but do not fixate on a single car. The car has to go where the wheels go.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I think its the Australians that coined the term 'SMIDSY' (Sorry mate I didn't see you) .
    2019 Spyder F3
    Previous
    2023 Tiger 1200 Explorer
    2022 Honda Goldwing
    2020 BMW 1200RT
    2020 BMW K1600
    2018 BMW 1000XR
    2018 FJR
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000
    2013 Tiger 800
    2012 Triumph Trophy 1200
    More that I can't remember right now.

Brian

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OregonBrian View Post
    I think its the Australians that coined the term 'SMIDSY' (Sorry mate I didn't see you) .
    I got broadsided in a firetruck. Hit me right in my door.

Guess what the guy said (once he recovered).
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    I found this article useful in understanding my and others' driving vision https://www.portsmouthctc.org.uk/a-f...-on-the-roads/
    I came across that article quite a few years ago when I had my Goldwing and have kept the admonitions in mind since. Another vision fact I came across a few years ago. Interestingly, our eyes are more sensitive to motion at the periphery than straight ahead. That's why modulated headlights are beneficial. A driver stopped at a stop sign is more likely to be aware of motion to his sides than straight ahead. So what you really want is not for the other driver to look straight at you, but be turning their head back and forth so that the brain receives signals of movement, not a stationary object. The brain tends to filter out still images and focuses on moving images.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I got broadsided in a firetruck. Hit me right in my door.

Guess what the guy said (once he recovered).
    He very well may not have actually "seen" you. Our brains do the "seeing" based on the data it receives from our eyes. Still images are boring and the brain tends to filter them out.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

From my 2 wheeled cycling days, at stop signs and lights, being abnormally "antsy", I rocked my cycles left and right and turned my handlebars back and forth, I think that has made some cage drivers nervous about "what was I gonna do/where what I headed". On my RT at busy intersections, I still try to remember to do this, I think that makes the front fender lights move enough to attract some attention. I also think all those folks who have mounted the driving spots to the front inside fender mount that allows the lights to point where the tires point may be adding some conspicuity to their Spyders as well as getting the lighting where you go feature. The Older I get the more the fluorescent lime green reflective helmets and cycle gear appeal to me as well.
    And for all those recommended safety tips above, add regularly check your rearview mirrors for the text fool not slowing down behind you (Especially when taking a left turn!) Already riding with the Brake-Free system on the wife's and my helmet. Them crazy cagers are everywhere!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-12-2023 at 09:52 PM. Reason: break... + ;-)
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

NEVER assume they see you, you might think they made eye contact but they haven't.
    Years ago driving 18 Wheelers there were four wheelers who claimed they didn't see you!
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

... to assume - makes an ass out of u and me

Spyder Garage

I went for a ride recently, just a quick ride to the IGA for a few grocery items and a bottle of Merlo. We live approx. 10 minute's from the grocery store, but like they say... most "accidents" are close to home. I was on a straight section in a 50 mph zone when a person pulled out in of front me from side street in a 50 mph zone... I hit the horn (125 DB) and braked, they panicked and almost went into the ditch to avoid what they probably thought was a semi, which shows they didn't "see me" prior to pulling out. Funny thing is, I have a led light bar and additional front lighting. It makes you wonder, how BIG and BRIGHT do I have to be to avoid "I didn't see you or you came out of nowhere?" It's really a rhetorical question, If anybody on this forum has ever watched crashes or instant Karma on youtube, then you know it really doesn't matter how big/visible you are, too many people are not paying attention and it's up to you (us) to be alert and ready to take action when the time comes.

Be Safe!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe members didn't read the driving vision article I linked to. Clearly explains why we don't "see" what should be obvious. It's like the difference between hearing and listening.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But your honor, he was in my saccade and therefore I couldn't see him. Sorry, guilty as charged! Bailiff, take the defendant into custody.

Spyder Garage

I ride with the mentality that everyone is out to run me over. This is why I always wear full gear, from my helmet to proper riding boots and a jacket with armor as well as proper gloves - even in the heat of summer. I also choose gear colors that are "loud", such as high-vis yellow on my jackets/ helmet and gloves when I can. I choose bright colors for my motorcycles to help with being noticed. (It doesn't hurt that I also like the color)

I will never own all black gear or an all black motorcycle. I will also add lighting to my bikes and brake flashers to help me be seen.

Just my two cents worth.
    2023 Spyder F3-S, Manta Green
    2023 Ryker 600 ACE, Black on Black (The wife's toy )
    2020 Kawasaki Z900, Candy Plasma Blue

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

To me, riding in a crowded metropolis like LA is just asking for trouble.

Thank goodness the area I ride in isn't like that at all .... yet.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

I always assume all other vehicles are piloted by this guy.
    shultz.jpg

2012 Spyder RTS
    2012 RT-S , BajaRon's plugs and wires 1" spacer Silver