Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

Default My new Daylong saddle by Russell

I have been using a Russell seat on my other bikes for some 20 years, currently have 4, now 5 for my 2021 RTL. Choose the all-leather version and passenger option. Very pleased with how it looks and the ride. Ready for a long trip!!

IMG_4116.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-10-2023 at 04:18 PM.
    2021 RT LT

Spyder Garage

Nice
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Looks awesome. I need to give my Sea To Sky comfort seat a full season try out before I make an expensive seat decision. My first 800 miles on it have been positive. Did you do all leather or leather inserts only? I read that vinyl sides are recommended.
    Last edited by troop; 12-10-2023 at 10:16 AM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

+1 on RDL seats. I've ridden them on various bikes over the past 20+ years, and my new RDL seat for my 2020 RT will arrive in 4 days. I had leather insert on my last bike (BMW R1200RT) and chose to go back to vinyl insert on this one due to higher maintenance with leather. Looking forward to installing the new seat on Wednesday.
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

I live @ 150 miles north of their shop, I've done ride in one day fittings and ordered online with pictures, they've all been great seats. IF you're going to keep the bike for a while and put in long days they are well worth the money in my opinion over a $300- $400 dollar off the shelf aftermarket seat. I appreciate the difference every minute I'm sitting on one. My last on the Vstrom I went with their Sunbrella fabric with vinyl sides. It's cooler in summer heat and warmer on our chilly winter days. My wife insists on a Day Long if she's going to be riding with me, our first was on a 2003 Suzuki LC1500, all leather on that one, and it held up well with minimal care even in Oregon rain.

Spyder Garage

I agree completely, PJ. Having wasted significant time and money over the years buying “one size fits all” aftermarket seats from Mustang, Sargeant, Corbin, Ultimate, Saddlemen and others, I now factor the cost of a Daylong into every new bike I buy. They have never failed to provide all day comfort. Like Oregon, I now go with Sunbrella fabric. Stays cools in the hot Aussie summer, is VERY water resistant, and maintains its colour.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That looks really nice and comfy!

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Looks awesome. I need to give my Sea To Sky comfort seat a full season try out before I make an expensive seat decision. My first 800 miles on it have been positive. Did you do all leather or leather inserts only? I read that vinyl sides are recommended.
    I went with all leather, have not heard about using vinyl inserts as being better
    2021 RT LT

Spyder Garage

Sweet!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We started dealing with Bill Mayer, the designer and original owner of Mayer Day Long seats back in the early 70's. The original seat was a single saddle looking something like a padded tractor seat. Back then I had one of those on my '72 BMW R75/5. Most comfortable seats in the industry.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I visited Russell's Day Long a couple of years ago. They showed me documentation that the top 5 Ironbutt riders for a previous year all rode RDL seats.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    We started dealing with Bill Mayer, the designer and original owner of Mayer Day Long seats back in the early 70's. The original seat was a single saddle looking something like a padded tractor seat. Back then I had one of those on my '72 BMW R75/5. Most comfortable seats in the industry.
    I remember Bill and have seen several of his seats. Back in the mid 90's, I started doing a number of IBA rides and met a lot of the riders at different events. They were more Daylong saddles than anything. Also remember when Bill had to sell the business and signed a waiver stating he could not build any seats as a business for 10 years. Time is up and was advertising in the Long Distance community that he was back and could build a better seat as he created the original Daylong. Shortly after, he passed and the 2 son's fought for the rights of the business. The oldest, Rocky won and was building seats until his semi recent passing. His employee's bought the business and are still building seats. They are always at the BMW national and other larger events, along with a store front. The Daylong is a sprung seat and in my opinion, is still superior The other son Rick was also doing a seat businesss as a side line out of his garage. I had one built some 20 years ago. Didn't work for me and I went back with a Russell.
    2021 RT LT