Spyder Garage

Default What would be the torque for Swing arm bearings? 2011 RSS

We travelled from Eastern Ontario to Sturgis in Sept and had a great trip.

Before we got out of Ontario, the rear mount on the right front fender broke off. Luckily, a 1/4” screwdriver bit fit into the tube and we zip tied it in place until we found a dealer to weld it in Michigan.
    Touring through enjoying the countryside and the rear fender brackets both break off in South Dakota. Luckily, we smelled the plate light wire burning as it sits on the tire when the cheesy butt welds brake off the swing arm. We just sent the whole thing home and tied the plate to the saddle bag mount.

Long story longer, I’m taking the swing arm off to have some welding repairs done and the manual is different from my swing arm. The manual has four bearings and a bolt from either side. Mine has three bearings and some tapered steel bushings. What would be the torque for this set up?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-09-2023 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Steve, The manual that you're using is a 2013. Says so right in the lower left hand corner of pic 1. I don't have a 2011 manual, but I do have a 2008- 09 manual. Yours appears to be exactly the same setup as the 2008 - 2009 GS machines. Here's the pic from that manual, showing the specs, which also matches the parts manual diagram for a 2011 machine. Looks like the three nuts all have a different spec, with loctite required on the most inward one. I suspect that the torque specs would also apply to your 2011, because it is the same design. There IS a specific procedure and torquing sequence for re-assembling that swing-arm. See if you can purchase and download the proper manual. If not, PM me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 12-10-2023 at 07:28 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks a lot snowbelt.
    I bought the manual after being assured it was the same. This is the first thing that’s been way off. The torques are on the drawing. That’s perfect.
    Steve

Spyder Garage

While you have that apart, I would repack those bearings, you're not going to be any closer and it's an easy thing to do.
    2012 RTL , Pearl