View Poll Results: What riding community does the forum mostly align with?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • The motorcycle community

33 30.28%
  • The Harley/ Gold Wing trike community

2 1.83%
  • Our own Can-Am community

74 67.89%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I use the term reverse trike.

Spyder Garage

Not to be picky, BUT . . . Harley-Davidson produced a trike from 1932 to 1973 known as a Servi-car. Many police departments used them for traffic control and meter-maids. In the 30s and 40s, car dealerships would hook a Servi-car to a clip-on bumper hitch and pick-up at, or deliver a serviced automobile to your home. The trike took the dealer employee back to the shop.
    A bike with a sidecar has three wheels and no one doubts it is a motorcycle. Whether the third wheel is in front, the side, or on the rear, they are all motorcycles.
    I had my first motorcycle ride while lying in a cardboard box in my dad's 1937 Harley-Davidson's sidecar. I've been riding the 84 intervening years on a variety of machines with all of the wheel combinations listed.
    Long live motorcycles!

P.S. I was two weeks old on my first ride!
    Motorcycle riding is never boring.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-27-2023 at 05:54 PM.
    Completed SCMC Four Corners Tour
    Rattlesnake 1,000
    Don Diego 400
    Cal 500 & 1,000
    Unicycled at South Pole, Antarctica
    Coldfoot, Alaska, to Cabo San Lucas
    4,000 mile Mexican tour to Yucatan Peninsula

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by broderp View Post
    Legal definitions aside, does the community here generally consider themselves a member of the motorcycle community, the Harley/Goldwing trike community or our own Can-Am community?

I'm just curious, no right or wrong answers.
    In California.... the CanAm Spyders All Models, A motorcycle with a SideCar, and a standard Trike type unit are considered to be
    an ( AUTO CYCLE ) none of them require a motorcycle license your standard car driving Lic. is all you need.
    I Do not agree with that law but it is what it is...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When asked, I tell people I ride a 3wheeled motorcycle called a spyder. "What's that they ask?" It's a trike. More to the point, it's a reverse trike. Two wheels in the front and one in the back. "Ok."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    When asked, I tell people I ride a 3wheeled motorcycle called a spyder. "What's that they ask?" It's a trike. More to the point, it's a reverse trike. Two wheels in the front and one in the back. "Ok."
    Yes, I can’t be bothered with the pettiness of the “is it a motorcycle”, debate, 2dogs. Life’s too short I just tell people I ride a trike. If they show further interest, I mention reverse trike.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

If people ask what I ride, I say it is a CanAm Spyder.
    That usually triggers more questions about the brand and what kind of engine or is it good to ride?
    I answer the best I can and people are usually very nice and curious about it. When I mention that i use my car license only to operate it they seem to get more interested and the usual reply is "hey, my wife/girlfriend could ride one of these instead of hanging on my back "!
    And my registration papers says it is a "motorcycle with 3 wheels"
    As a good friend of mine said once:"The best motorcycle is the one you have right now!" It took a while before I understood the deeper meaning of what he said. (some like this and some like that)

Stay safe all
    Last edited by NorwegianRT; 12-28-2023 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

I go with the designation in practically all jurisdictions in North America, that being it is a motorcycle. Yes, there are a few exceptions, but motorcycle works for me, though if others refer to is as a trike, reverse trike, three-wheeled vehicle etc., makes no difference to me. When people ask if I'm still a biker after trading 2 wheels for 3, I tell them hell ya! However, being called a motor cyclist works too. As a blanket statement for me, it doesn't really matter, so long as I can still ride.
    2022 RT Deep Marsala Metallic

Spyder Garage

As a child, some of us from the old days rode a Trike ... 2 rear wheels, 1 front wheel ... sooooo, after that, Goldwings & Harleys are Trikes... Can-Am Spyders are NOT a Trike ... I guess they are...... .... .... A SPYDER! LOL
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-07-2024 at 02:12 PM.
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

I'm a US Disabled Veteran with an Indiana Hoosier Disabled Veterans motorcycle license plate on my Spyder. I guess to me, they're all just different kinds of motorcycles, right handle only different; but we all generally seem to think it belongs to the same piece of wind therapy.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-07-2024 at 02:59 AM.
    2022 F3-S Special Series SE6 , Black w/blue frame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrillSgtDon View Post
    I'm a US Disabled Veteran with an Indiana Hoosier Disabled Veterans motorcycle license plate on my Spyder. I guess to me, they're all just different kinds of motorcycles, right handle only different; but we all generally seem to think it belongs to the same piece of wind therapy.
    Your post is right on.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red