View Poll Results: What riding community does the forum mostly align with?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • The motorcycle community

33 30.28%
  • The Harley/ Gold Wing trike community

2 1.83%
  • Our own Can-Am community

74 67.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Is a Spyder a motorcycle, trike or something else?

Legal definitions aside, does the community here generally consider themselves a member of the motorcycle community, the Harley/Goldwing trike community or our own Can-Am community?

I'm just curious, no right or wrong answers.
    2023 Spyder F3-S, Manta Green
    2023 Ryker 600 ACE, Black on Black (The wife's toy )
    2020 Kawasaki Z900, Candy Plasma Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks like I get to be among the first responders.

Personally, I am going to rule out the Harley/Goldwing groups. Why? They are all CONVERSIONS. Honda never made a road-ready trike. Harley started their motorcycle down the assembly line, then diverted it to the Lehman trike factory for fitting the rear end, then Lehman sent it back to Harley for final assembly.

Between the other two choices, I would guess that a sizeable portion of Can-Am owners are former two-wheel operators, so would still consider themselves to be "motorcyclists". And, in that community, a dedicated Can-Am community makes as much sense as a dedicated BMW/Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha/Suzuki/etc. community.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Another vote for the "Can AM Community."

I think that sums everything up quite well. Most of us are "brand snobs" concerning "our" specific brands. There are different nuances between Harley owners, Goldwing Owners, and BMW owners. We are ALL members of the "motorcycling" community, but rides, camaradarie, tastes, etc. will vary. This is my opinion of course. I don't charge for this advice, so be gentle if you do not agree with me.
    '

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

SCREW the names - Lets RIDE acknowledge/appreciation waves optional - good times *REQUIRED* , decency preferred
    **{don’t get me wrong, do appreciate the poll any # of wheels, thanks}**
    Last edited by Bfromla; 12-05-2023 at 03:30 AM. Reason: **{}**

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

According to the followingL
    The Spyder has a motor(engine);
    The rider sits astraddle the vehicle, not in it;
    The Spyder is a cycle and has 3 wheels and is called a "reverse trike";
    The Spyder is therefore a Motortrike specifically, or a Motorcycle generically.

It's a Can Am Brand, if that even matters.

Ok, I have my chain mail suit on, so let the remarks fly!
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

What licensing plate does your state require? Fla. has my Can Am designated as a motorcycle so, I had to purchase a motorcycle plate, or did I use a plate (motorcycle ) I had lying around?!? Guess it doesn’t matter, I affixed a motorcycle plate to it. Call it whatever you like. Life is beautiful

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

The forum? I think aligns as our own community. Because most of our discussions are CanAm specific.

Forum members? I can only speak for me, I am a motorcyclist that rides a CanAm Spyder. I would speculate that most came from a two wheel background.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This forum is a Spyder, Ryker (Can AM) Community. This Community is a growing part of the overall Motorcycle Community that Harley Davidson, Honda and other brands are a part of also.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 12-04-2023 at 04:41 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I think the Spyders or any three wheeled "motorcycle" are an entity to themselves, but a segment of the motorcycle world. We have touring bikes, sport touring bikes, adventure bikes, dual sport bikes, and more segments. We are but one of those segments. Like any other group we Spyder guys tend to gravitate towards other Spyder folks because it is something we have in common. Same as the HD crowd, The GW crowd, or any other group. While my many years of riding have leaned towards the sport bike and sport touring segment I have no trouble joining in with any group because it's motorcycles we have in common overall.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

If you mean 'forum members', I ride 95% with 2-wheelers. They have no problem with me in their groups and I frequently am the lead. Therefore, I fully align with the 'motorcycle' community. Can Am, like all my previous rides is a BRAND. It isn't WHAT you ride, it's the FOLKS you ride with and share experiences that matter. Wheel count means NOTHING!

If you mean the forum itself, the answer is obvious - Can Am.
    Last edited by RayBJ; 12-04-2023 at 09:34 PM.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I identify as a motorcyclist. Many, many years (decades) on 2 wheels, mostly Goldwings. Went to a Spyder RTL. Then back to 2 wheel Goldwing and then to a 3 wheel Goldwing trike. Like them all. And all were/are licensed and insured a motorcycles. I ride motorcycles.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

It seems the thread title and the question on the poll suggest 2 different things.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did mostly ride with the Goldwing group as I had 5 Goldwings in over 36 years but anyone could ride with us. Now the new EWMA wants anyone that rides and if they start promoting it more I’ll ride with them. 2 wheelers are a bit faster than trikes which makes for a bit more fun.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I checked the "our own CanAm community" as I felt none of the others fit. I rode two wheels for years, Montesa, Suzuki, BMW, Triumph, Norton, BSA, Yamaha Ventures, Royal Stars, DKW, NSU and others I can't remember, even a Honda Trike. This forum is about Can-Am Spyder while I do still identify with the "motorcycle" community, I also identify with this community of three wheel motorcycles made by Can-Am.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I rode sport bikes back in the 60s and 70s. Rode mostly Hondas at first. Wasn't a lot of choice at some of the places I had to live. Rode Sukis, Yamahas, several kinds of dirt bikes. The metric bikes were just getting up to the 750cc range when I bought my first Harley. It wasn't about the image, it was because Harley had about the best belt drive around and I lived on a dirt road, which eats chains for breakfast. Rode Harley Sportsters for about 30 years. Mine was all the old carb, hard mount, Harleys. They seemed to be almost indestructable and easy to work on. I bought the Spyder in 2019. Bought it mostly because I am old as dirt, nobody would work on my 20+ year old Harley, and it was gertting hard to find parts for it. The Harley vibrated so bad my arms would go numb after a couple hours. The Spyder is smooth as glass. Very little vibration, good suspension, and plenty of power.

I don't care what anybody rides. I don't care how many wheels it got on it. If you straddle it and it has handle bars it is a scooter. It don't make no difference what anybody thinks about the 3 wheels, if you out on the open, wind in your face, and having a good time, don't get involved it the technical details. Just enjoy the ride.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Just for info - The "Run for the Wall" signup sheet has three catagories - Motorcycle, Trike, and Spyder.

All I personally know is, I have to have a motorcycle endorsement to ride a Spyder in Louisiana.

And I would add... A visit to Louisiana Power Sports today to check on expected delivery still has my 2024 F3-S at the end of Jan or sometime in Feb. No firm dates as yet. AAARRRGGGGH
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-06-2023 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Removed confusing/unnecessary spaces before punctuation. ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LALoner View Post
    .... A visit to Louisiana Power Sports today to check on expected delivery still has my 2024 F3-S at the end of Jan or sometime in Feb. No firm dates as yet. AAARRRGGGGH
    don't get your hopes too HIGH!!! we usually don't see new model year spyder's until March. dealer might have been too easy to give early date to get a sale!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-06-2023 at 02:34 AM.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    don't get your hopes too HIGH!!! we usually don't see new model year spyder's until March. dealer might have been too easy to give early date to get a sale!!

True dat! I wanted a specific model, and they said all kind of silly stuff that I did not believe. I put a $500 deposit down on it and told them to send me a message when it came in. I got it about the middle of April. Probably depends on the model you order too. I wanted the Special Series, and they were only shipping one per dealer to start with. I understand that later in the year, if a dealer did not sell the one they got in, it was fair game to move to other dealerships. It probably does not make that much difference which dealership gets it in first. All the dealerships in this whole tri-state area are owned by the same parent company.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-06-2023 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Ptobably ;-)
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

My Spyder is registered as a motorcycle and I consider it a motorcycle. This forum is mostly devoted to Can Am products which include the Ryker and Spyder.
    21 Spyder base F3

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm lucky that the bikers I've had the pleasure of "wasting fuel" with have this mantra:

"It doesn't matter WHAT you ride, as long as YOU ride".

That said, I've ridden with people who have all sorts of bikes/trikes manufactured all over the world.

And that, my friends, is how it should be ....
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

+1
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I rode 2 wheelers for several decades, but traded in my Goldwing for an RT two years ago when I was 78. I love my Spyder and despite steering rather than leaning I find it very much a motorcycle experience. But I think that deep down I know that my RT is not a "real" motorcycle the way most of this think of it. I also own a 2 wheeler, and between the leaning, the manual transmission, the need to put a foot down when stopped, etc. the experience of riding my "real" motorcycle is not exactly the same as when I ride the Spyder. And I do think we have our share of folks in the Spyder/Ryker community who want to think of themselves as motorcyclists but never were willing or able to go through the learning process to confidently ride two wheels. I'm not sure if the only bike I had was my Spyder if I would still feel that I was genuinely still a part of the "Bike" community, and someday I likely will find out if this is true. As I get older I realize that I well might reach the point of needing to give up on 2 wheeling totally, and just have the stable, reliable 3 wheel Spyder to keep me in the wind.

In a way this is all similar to when I owned just a scooter. It did pretty much anything that a motorcycle could do, including going over 100 mph. The main difference between that Silverwing and a motorcycle were the size of the wheels, the automatic trans, and the seating position. But good as it was, I found that I yearned to return to riding a real motorcycle. Maybe this was all in my head, but it was real for me. I ended up trading that Honda mega-scooter for a Triumph America, a mid size cruiser that really was far less capable and with less features, but I was happy to be back on a real bike.
    Last edited by vito1943; 12-17-2023 at 05:44 PM.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

I owned a 350 Yamaha XT back in the early 80's but rode it offroad because I didn't like the highway feel on 2 lane roads by cars and trucks. I did a test ride of the Canam trike when they first came out and finally decided to buy my F3S because it was looking lonely in the show room this summer.
    I maintained my motorcycle license since the 80's and the Spyder is registered as a "motorcycle". My first (long highway) ride was with a friend who was riding a 2020 HD Roadglide that he bought new.
    I currently own a 2019 Defender XT Cab, 2013 Outlander and a 22 Renegade XRS Turbo R that I will be taking out to the lake to do some ice riding, trace of snow. Basically SkiDoo, SeaDoo, Skidoo offroad and now Spyder.

Spyder Garage

In Canada the Spyder is considered a motorcycle for insurance purposes. I have had a few people say to me that I'm wrong however my insurance states that it is indeed a motorcycle! Having ridden bikes for most of life I consider it a bike, my sidecar combination is also a bike both have three wheels and I have to wear a helmet to ride both.
    2012 RT , Yes Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Motorcycle

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    Shad bags
    Lamonsters 2.0 usb dual power plate
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    Lamonsters top cuff with Ram ball and phone holder.
    Lamonster billet sway bar end links
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen
    2022 F3S , Monolith black