Spyder Garage

Default Changing the seat strut - Are the Show Chrome instructions easier than they seem?

The seat on my 2020 RTL won't stay open when fueling the bike ever since I added a gel pad to the seat. I've tried the helper spring, wedging something under the seat etc., etc. I don't want to rehash these or other alternatives. I also don't want to go through the warranty route that would replace an old inadequate OEM strut with a new inadequate OEM strut.

I've already purchased the new seat strut from Show Chrome that increases the lifting force from the OEM 6 lbs. to 17 lbs. It was delivered yesterday.

The instructions say to reach into the body with a long screwdriver to release the ball joint at the bottom end.
    Once removed, the same instructions say to simply push the new unit onto the ball joint.

While this seems theoretically possible, it seems too fiddly to be easy.
    I'll try it once or twice, but if I can't get it out easily, I'll just pull off the body panels for easier access.
    That will add, what? Maybe 10 minutes to the job? Remember, the 2020+ bodywork comes off so much easier than the 2010 - 2019.

Yes, I'm the guy who will take the long way round and add 15 minutes to a trip in order to avoid 10 minutes of stop and go traffic. Even in a car.

Does anybody know if I'm wrong? Are the Show Chrome instructions easier than they seem?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-30-2023 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I replaced mine on a 2020RTL. Just removing the colored tuperware does NOT expose the bottom end of the seat strut. You would also have to remove the whole black side panel. (to me, that's more than 10 minutes).

If you use a long shanked very small ended screw driver or pick it can be done. I have done 2 different bikes in less than 20 minutes.
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

I got it done, but it IS very fiddly.
    Very fiddly indeed.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey