Spyder Garage

Default Anyone installed the Afterburner tail-light mod?

Just curious if anyone here had installed the AfterBurner tail light modification available through Sling Mods for the 2020 and newer RT? I have a 2022 Sea to Sky and think is lacks a lot in tail, stop and turn signal lights at the rear. I installed the light strips available through LaMonster but still think the bike lacks adequate brake and turn signal lights at the rear. Curious if anyone has installed the AfterBurner kit available through SlingMods. Looks like it should help but looking for someone with actual experience with it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-29-2023 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

The AfterBurner tail light is a good product. We have installed a good many of them. Well worth the money. A bit of a job to install. But more time consuming than anything. Figure about 2 hours.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Yes, I installed the Afterburner taillights, After I followed a 2021 Spyder like mine and saw what little light the taillights had during the day, the wife said, "there is not much light back there- that is what you have, isn't it? Can that be fixed?" I said yes for $270. She said, "get it!" And I did..
    Now, I notice that even during the day, no vehicle tailgates me and at night when I hit the brakes, it's bright.
    Highly recommended.
    Adj removable backrest, KOTT radiator screens
    Double horn (118db), Lamonster mirror fix
    tender plug in, luggage liner/bags, FOBO 2
    Drinks2go cup holder, replaced the seat strut
    Garmin DriveSmart 71 GPS, Garmin BC 30 backup camera.
    White pulley, Pedal Commander
    Laminar Lip- looks fonky but works.
    J&M 2003 CB installed
    Home made belt guard
    7x12 enclosed trailer

2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic

Skip H.

Spyder Garage

I have installed the Afterburner tail lights. They look good lit and unlit. You will need to unbolt some of the rear tupperware to get to the wiring harness. Once there, it is plug and play. I also installed a Whelan strobe light below the license plate. (Model # RSR03ZCR). There are 25 different strobe patterns. I chose a simple double flash to catch peoples attention, while not being too annoying. In addition, for more rear visibility, I installed TricLed Rear illuminated running lights and ShowChrome illuminated front fender rear marker lights. These are all visible from the rear. The wife feels safer and I know people see me better.

Spyder Garage

Here is a photo of my rear lights. Brake lights would be even brighter.

20231129_152246.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-29-2023 at 05:25 PM.
    2020 Spyder RTL
    - BajaRon Heavy Duty anti-sway bar, Vredestein front tires on 2016 wheels, Afterburner tail lights, Showcase illuminated rear side marker lights and front fender rear marker lights, tall windshield.

Spyder Garage

I was going to do the Afterburner route, but opted not to drill. Went with both the brake flasher harness and vertical run/turn/brake strip lights during TricLED's 20% off Black Friday sale. Thinking it's over now?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Can you see me now?

IMG_4976.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-30-2023 at 08:51 AM.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    Can you see me now?

IMG_4976.jpg
    Yup... gonna like those, especially with the brake flasher.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-30-2023 at 08:51 AM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

I did the install, was plug and play after all the disassembly........ Went with the brake module, like all the different options. Really like the flag, get a lot of likes from it. Being visible is a good thing!

IMG_4980 2.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-30-2023 at 08:50 AM.
    2021 RT LT

Spyder Garage

I installed the afterburner lights and they're excellent. As a bonus, while I was installing them I discovered my antenna had never been screwed in correctly so I fixed that too.
    2022 Spyder RT Ltd Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    Just curious if anyone here had installed the AfterBurner tail light modification available through Sling Mods for the 2020 and newer RT? I have a 2022 Sea to Sky and think is lacks a lot in tail, stop and turn signal lights at the rear. I installed the light strips available through LaMonster but still think the bike lacks adequate brake and turn signal lights at the rear. Curious if anyone has installed the AfterBurner kit available through SlingMods. Looks like it should help but looking for someone with actual experience with it.
    I installed them and they're working out great. Next up are the lights that attach to the top case, which won't be shipped until some time in January. The more lights the better.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-30-2023 at 04:11 PM.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Two2Three View Post
    I installed the afterburner lights and they're excellent. As a bonus, while I was installing them I discovered my antenna had never been screwed in correctly so I fixed that too.
    Very common. 100% dealer prep failure. But they always charge full price.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I had the original afterburners. Some of the elements failed and I've now got the latest version of them. We'll see how long THEY last.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post

Yes, we installed them on our 2020 RT's prior to riding them... Short version, we bought the RT'S, moved, had to get the 3 wheel cert after delivery (long process in WA), while renting and searching for house (overpriced in PNW). I did a bunch of upgrades to both of them and then rode as much as we could.

I really like the Afterburner LED's and it didn't bother me having to punch a hole in the plastic, what made me apprehensive was how thin the wires were and hoping I didn't break the connections where they were soldered onto the board (it looked very fragile). I added a bit of clear caulk (not silicone based) to the solder points to prevent flexing at the solder joint. After almost 10 k mile, no issues.

The only LED upgrades that have failed, is the fender mounted sequential turn signal, just mine not Julie's.

I did received a replacement set under warranty from tricled, thankfully they sent both side as the right one failed shortly after contacting them the left crapped out. Just my .02, I think adding LED's to the fenders is not a great idea as they take real beating from potholes and road imperfections. If the replacements fail, we will go back to reflectors.

Spyder Garage

I just ordered a set of the Afterburners (Gen2). They are currently on sale at a well-known vendor for $239.
    2023 Spyder RT Ltd
    2023 RT Ltd , Hyper Silver Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PJveetwin View Post
    I did the install, was plug and play after all the disassembly........ Went with the brake module, like all the different options. Really like the flag, get a lot of likes from it. Being visible is a good thing!

IMG_4980 2.jpg
    If you live in Calif. you cannot have any illuminated blue light of any kind on the rear of any vehicle. It's allowed on police cars only.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-18-2023 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Rule 1

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    If you live in Calif. you cannot have any illuminated blue light of any kind on the rear of any vehicle. It's allowed on police cars only.
    Good thing I don't live there I would just to eat the tickets...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-18-2023 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    To be continued....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    Good thing I don't live there I would just to eat the tickets..
    Yeah, kina pizzy ain't it! We all refer to it as we live on the left coast.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Minnesota is another state that frowns on any other colored lights. ONLY Red, Amber, or White in their proper locations.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-18-2023 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

I have a friend in Washington State that got a ticket years ago for Christmas lights in the grill of his pickup.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

Have not heard that one, would probably have to be a LEO that's offended by our flag...... I'm not taking it off unless forced too. My wife is a retired Kern co. Deputy and several of her old running mates have seen it and thought it was cool. Now i'm going to start asking around. Guess it only takes one prick when I venture into the city
    2021 RT LT

Spyder Garage

Here in WI, it wouldn't legally be allowed. It would be probable cause for a stop if a LEO was so inclined.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Here in WI, it wouldn't legally be allowed. It would be probable cause for a stop if a LEO was so inclined.
    Same in Ga also. It's an open invitation to get pulled over, green and purple are also on the list.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue