Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Thinking on this Cyber Monday deal on motorcycle lock - any comments?

https://us.litelok.com/products/one-...40359659012292

I'm thinking about getting one. Comments welcome.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-26-2023 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

If it makes you sleep better at night, then go for it! Myself I call it insurance, if they want it bad enough, they will take it. And I'll have a check in the mail and a new ride on the way!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Looks like a good product. Might be useful if regularly parking in a high crime area. After 50 years of touring, I have never had any bike stolen or even tampered with. Just park in a high visibility place and put the cover on..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Some sort of cable - lock - alarm.
    Some connect via Bluetooth to your phone if your close enough may be worth considering.
    A cover will keep viewers off ya bike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    https://us.litelok.com/products/one-...40359659012292

I'm thinking about getting one. Comments welcome.
    Looks pretty good. If it works for you, then just do it!

Mind you, some of the pics on that site do remind me of an incident that happened many years ago now.... I'd been working on a base in Sydney, & with a few friends had been living just a 5 minute run away in a flat above a Chinese Restaurant & opposite the local Ex-Servicemans Club (jog to/from the base; food downstairs; entertainment, pokies, cheap beer & ... just over the road - perfect! ) but it wasn't the safest part of town to leave a bike on the street or the easiest place to park either, not even for a motorcycle, so usually we all rode our bikes up the stairs and parked them on the first-floor landing. No-one else but us up there, so it was fine - good spot to work on the bikes too, but it did make a bit of noise plus it took a bit of skill and a few minutes to get them all downstairs again.

We all had some leave due, and we'd been planning a Long Weekend ride/road trip back home to South Oz for a while... The Friday night in question, cos we were planning on leaving at sparrow fart on Saturday morning, all the others decided to park their bikes in the laneway next door, all nose in & chained to a Stobie pole (a dirty great concrete & steel power pole ) but around midnight, despite some ribbing about 'my paranoia', I still chose to park my bike on the landing like we'd always done..... And just a few hours later, we all headed down the stairs rarin' to hit the road (me already riding my bike ) only to be greeted by the sight of 4 front wheels and one set of front forks chained to the stobie pole where the others had left their (now stolen!) bikes!!

They didn't take too long, but when they got there, the local Police said they'd recently had a gang of bike thieves working the area using tow trucks, grinders, and gas axes; just cutting whatever they needed to cut in order to lift the bikes onto the tow trucks & taking off in moments - some bikes had even been stolen within minutes of being parked, despite being chained/locked to various immovable objects!! So I ended up doing that particular road trip with just one of the others riding pillion!!

Then years later my Brother-in-law had his Heritage Softail stolen from his very secure garage, despite it being chained with armoured chain to a dirty great bolt embedded feet into the reinforced concrete floor - the crims used liquid nitrogen to freeze the steel door hinges before shattering them with a sledge hammer; then did the same on the chain! Must've used about a gallon of liquid nitrogen tho, cos it destroyed the concrete floor too!!

So while I'm all for locking things up if it gives you peace of mind, just remember, if the real crims want something, they'll take it, one way or another!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-27-2023 at 11:32 PM. Reason: somethkng... :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a great story Peter.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Canadian tire has them for about 50 bucks
    2019 F3 Limited Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Looks very interesting. At least they would have to work to steal your ride, but like someone said if they are determined to steal your Can Am they will. Guess that is one advantage about owning an older bike, not as much interest.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 190243 View Post
    Please provide a link.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-28-2023 at 12:59 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Not trying to discourage you from buying the lock, but locks are just to keep the honest people out. Locks only slow the dishonest people down, or possibly make it too much work to bother with, and then they go on off to find an easier target.

With all the modern 18 volt cordless tools, a small cordless side grinder would make short work of cutting through most any cable, strap, or chain. It would also make a good bit of noise and throw a lot of sparks which most thieves would not want to be too obvious about it. The newer brand of thieves who have get out of jail free cards with no bail, do not have much respect for the law anymore.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 190243 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Please provide a link.

He might be referring to this, Thats all I could find for that price range.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...cycle+lock#srp
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    He might be referring to this, Thats all I could find for that price range.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...cycle+lock#srp
    Oh, I'm pretty sure it's not the real thing for $50
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I think it would work well enough on a two wheeled bike which can easily be rolled onto a utility trailer and gone in 60 seconds. However I believe our Spyders are a lot more cumbersome to steal for all but the most dedicated thieves. Especially with the electronic parking brake. However if it gives you a little more peace of mind then by all means go for it.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited