Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Do I need a new battery?????

Ok, 2021 S2S, new to me. It has a pig tail for a battery tender. I plugged it in and the tender just flashed with the red “charging” light. This went on for most of the day yesterday. I have another bike that was plugged in (different but same model tender). The other bike had a steady green light after a short period of charging. Thinking it may have been the charger, I switched them and same results. Even after overnight charging, the flashing red to indicate charging for the Spyder was still flashing.

So, my question is, Should I drill down and inspect the hookup for the pigtail, or do you think it is a battery requiring replacement?

Also, the bike starts fine. I just have it plugged in because it is going to be idle for a couple of weeks.

If anyone has had a similar experience, please enlighten me.

Thanks,
    SP

Spyder Garage

It's really easy to get to the battery to see if the wires are indeed hooked up.
    While youre there make sure the connections are tight also.

"IF" everything is hooked up correctly (verify polarity) it should turn to green after a while. Remember that these chargers charge very slow as not to harm the battery.

Every battery is different, I did have to replace mine in my 2020 earlier this year. Any parts store should be able to check the battery for you if you want to go that route also.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 11-22-2023 at 05:34 PM.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderpilot View Post
    Ok, 2021 S2S, new to me. It has a pig tail for a battery tender. I plugged it in and the tender just flashed with the red “charging” light. This went on for most of the day yesterday. I have another bike that was plugged in (different but same model tender). The other bike had a steady green light after a short period of charging. Thinking it may have been the charger, I switched them and same results. Even after overnight charging, the flashing red to indicate charging for the Spyder was still flashing.

So, my question is, Should I drill down and inspect the hookup for the pigtail, or do you think it is a battery requiring replacement?

Also, the bike starts fine. I just have it plugged in because it is going to be idle for a couple of weeks.

Thanks,
    SP
    The first thing you might consider doing is checking the battery terminal connections for cleanliness and tightness. Next thing would be to load test battery. replace if indicated by testing. If it starts fine, not likely to be a bad battery. Might want to just leave it on the maintainer for whatever time it takes to arrive @ a green light. These machines are sensitive to starting voltage, when they drop below ~12.5 volts while cranking all sorts of gremlins start appearing. My two cents FWIW

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Most tenders are not designed to charge a battery. They are designed to keep it charged. If your battery is down, you need to use a standard charger to get it up to full saturation, then use the tender to keep it there.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Back when I bought my 14 RT ( new ) .... I soon discovered that the OEM battery had NOT been fully or properly charged at ther dealer .... proibably not un-common .....do as prescribed above .... Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Most tenders are not designed to charge a battery. They are designed to keep it charged. If your battery is down, you need to use a standard charger to get it up to full saturation, then use the tender to keep it there.
    .... however MOST but not all of them ... I have an OPTIMATE battery maintainer, and it has a DE-SULFATE setting and I have brought back batteries that were absolutely dead ( however not shorted - that can't be re-paired ) .... It will take extra time to accomplish this ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Also was the ignition completely off? Can give false readings otherwise. Checking connection & load test battery good annual maintenance at any rate. & if don’t have them, add star washers to terminals

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Back when I bought my 14 RT ( new ) .... I soon discovered that the OEM battery had NOT been fully or properly charged at ther dealer .... proibably not un-common .....do as prescribed above .... Mike
    Exactly…….Just because it is a “New” battery, doesn’t mean it was “seasoned” and brought up to full capacity before installation. That is my concern about getting a new one. I will have to be very cautious about the initial charge, or LACK of it.

SP

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Also was the ignition completely off? Can give false readings otherwise. Checking connection & load test battery good annual maintenance at any rate. & if don’t have them, add star washers to terminals

Star washers……Had not thought of that. If they are not present, I will pick some up for this project. Thanks for the suggestion!!

SP

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ron, that is just what I am attempting to do. Just keep the battery at the “full” level while it is resting in the garage.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ron, that is just what I am attempting to do. Just keep the battery at the “full” level while it is resting in the garage.
    Are you sure the battery is fully charged? I always try to get a (BS) battery. That's the only kind we sell at the shop. BS is tacked onto the end of the model number series and stands for 'Bottle Supplied'. In other words, the battery ships dry from the factory with the acid packaged separately in a bottle. That way your battery is 100% brand new, no matter how long it has been stored. A battery begins to deteriorate only after you add the acid. If a battery is stored for a year in the charged state, its life is shortened by at least a year when you buy it 'New'. And that's if they kept it charged. If not, it might have a number of years taken off its life span.

With the BS version, you add the acid yourself, let it set for the prescribed amount of time, then charge it. A little more hassle, to be sure. But you know what you have and you're getting your full money's worth. It's the best way to buy a new battery.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-02-2024 at 02:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

+ 1 on the BS batteries which are shipped dry.
    Its a simple process to add the acid and then condition it.

Spyder Garage

Battery load testers are not that expensive, and because the spYders are so sensitive to low voltage it's worth it to have one to check the battery 2 or 3 times a year. I have this one that seems to work quite well. Also I had to use my battery jump pack twice this year to get people back on the road and it is so hard to get to the terminals I came up with this setup to replace the battery bolts. Now it's a piece of cake hooking up to the battery. I carry a set with me so if I have to give a boost on the road again I will replace the battery bolts first.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

You don't need a stand-alone battery load tester.
    You can use one of these to do that job, and also its good for checking other things as well, like have I got power here? And how much? And stuff.

464017xlg.jpg

Waterproof Volt Meter.

If you wish you could fit a meter like this and keep an eye on your voltage just by glancing at it. Gives you a heads up when... say, your battery's getting old and requiring additional charging.

v meter20230402_121554.jpg

Cheap as chips on the AliExpress or E bay.

4 v m s-l1600.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-24-2023 at 12:49 AM.

Spyder Garage

Are you sure the battery is fully charged? I always try to get a (BS) battery. That's the only kind we sell at the shop. BS is tacked onto the end of the model number series and stands for 'Bottle Supplied'. In other words, the battery ships dry from the factory with the acid packaged separately in a bottle. That way your battery is 100% brand new, no matter how long it has been stored. A battery begins to deteriorate only after you add the acid. If a battery is stored for a year in the charged state, its life is shortened by a year when you buy it 'New'.

With the BS version, you add the acid yourself, let it set for the prescribed amount of time, then charge it. A little more hassle, to be sure. But you know what you have and you're getting your full money's worth. It's the best way to buy a new battery.
    Ron, That is the answer for sure for a NEW battery. I didn’t know what it was labeled, (BS), but am familiar with the concept. Now, the problem I have is the Initial charge after filling the acid. I don’t have a battery charger. Guess it wouldn’t hurt to get one. I really don’t trust the “stealer” to do that process correctly. Not at all.

Thanks for the intel..!!
    SP

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    You don't need a stand-alone volt tester.
    You can use one of these to do that job, and also its good for checking other things as well, like have I got power here? and how much? and stuff.

464017xlg.jpg

Waterproof Volt Meter.

If you wish you could fit a meter like this and keep an eye on your voltage just by glancing at it. Gives you a heads up when... say, your battery's getting old and requiring additional charging.

v meter20230402_121554.jpg

Cheap as chips on the AliExpress or E bay.

4 v m s-l1600.jpg
    These kind of voltmeters can serve as a load test indicator, if they respond fairly quickly to voltage changes. Just turn the throttle to full open non-start position and hit the starter. Watch the voltmeter. If it drops quickly your battery is getting weak. Do the test when you put in a new fully charged battery and make note of how fast it drops. This will give you a reference for future checks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-24-2023 at 12:51 AM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Ron, That is the answer for sure for a NEW battery. I didn’t know what it was labeled, (BS), but am familiar with the concept. Now, the problem I have is the Initial charge after filling the acid. I don’t have a battery charger. Guess it wouldn’t hurt to get one. I really don’t trust the “stealer” to do that process correctly. Not at all.

Thanks for the intel..!!
    SP
    Getting a decent battery charger can have a good many benefits beyond just your Spyder. I highly recommend it. I also recommend getting a charger that will treat the sulfur buildup issue. Personally, I like this charger. I've actually restored some 'Dead' batteries with these chargers. Batteries that did not recover with a standard charger. I figured just once paid for the charger.

The Spyder likes voltage. You can get away with low octane fuel. But you're not going to get away with a low octane battery.

There are many good chargers out there. I certainly haven't tried them all. But I've had several. I have found that you do tend to get what you pay for.

These are a bit spendy. But I've found them very reliable and they do it all. Including a connection for your pigtail, if you use that. You don't need a tender if you have one of these. They give you good information and will desulfinate as well.

The 1st one will do all you need for lead acid batteries. If you want to through lithium batteries into the mix, then the 2nd one will do that as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005E...c-d6b4b839e7a9

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01D3...8-56fb8213cbb2
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-23-2023 at 02:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have this one on mine and with the black friday discount it is a really good deal.

It will charge and maintain plus works with regular, agm and lithium batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

You dont need a stand alone volt tester.
    You can use one of these to do that job, and also its good for checking other things as well, like have I got power here? and how much? and stuff.

464017xlg.jpg

Waterproof Volt Meter.

This isn't a stand alone volt tester if that's what you're referring to, it's a battery load tester.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-24-2023 at 12:51 AM.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    You don't need a stand-alone volt tester.

464017xlg.jpg
    This isn't a stand alone volt tester if that's what you're referring to, it's a battery load tester.
    Up. Correct. Thankyou. I should have typed that.
    I have gone back and amended my post to be correct in the naming of that device. THANKS.

Comments still stand.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-24-2023 at 12:52 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I believe that soon, I am going to change the battery and get a proper charger to get the new battery an adequate first charge/top off. I will certainly look at the chargers suggested here by Baja Ron and K80shooter. Thanks fellas….

SP

Spyder Garage

Thanks,
    SP
    Pigtail Connections?

I use "Battery Tender" brand battery maintainers/tenders on several pieces of equipment, including my Spyder. You didn't mention what brand tender you have, but my "Battery Tender" tenders display a flashing red LED when they have no connection to the battery.

So, a faulty, frayed, worn out, or loose tender pigtail on your battery could be the reason for the flashing red LED. My tenders show a solid red "charging" LED even if the battery they are connected to is low on voltage.

It may turn out that your battery is, in fact, shot and should be replaced. But if you haven't done it already, I'd suggest you check the condition of your pigtail and make sure it's secured tightly to the battery terminals before investing in a new battery. Making sure you have between 12.5 and 13 volts at the connector end of the pigtail (with the tender itself disconnected) would be an additional item to check.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-24-2023 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Moved Post title into text after merge - post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

2018 RT Ltd.
    2018 RT Ltd , Oxford Blue/Chrome

Spyder Garage

8B5EAC4F-36D0-488E-B48F-872FA764E54E.jpeg

Preferred Automatic dual purpose & nice big display. Found at Autozone shortly after getting Spyder. FYI also has a fold away hook on back to hang from handlebars.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-25-2023 at 02:18 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Last year I found out the hard way about one sign that the battery needs replacement. If you have added LED lights and they are flickering when the Spyder is idling, the battery needs replacing. I had that and at one point it sounded like something popped when I tried to start it. The Spyder required a new battery to do anything. You could not even jumpstart the bike with the bad battery.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-30-2023 at 05:42 PM. Reason: bas??

Spyder Garage

All the pig tails sets I've had, all have an inline fuse.

You might just want to check to see if it is present and not blown, or corroded.

I did have a fuse pop once a few years ago and never found out why. The charging current was within limits etc, no shorts in the electrical system, good battery. Just seemed the fuse was defective.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver