Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

Default Open trunk banner would not go out - anyone else?

On my 21 RTL with 19K, the banner on the display would not go out. Pulled the brake light off the trunk to better expose the micro switch. All looked clean and I could clearly hear it clicking. It appears to be a well-sealed unit, and I sprayed a good contact cleaner and worked the switch, but that did not work. Went on a ride and 15 minutes later, it went out. Worked the switch again and it did not fail. Now I'm wondering if it wasn't a computer glitch somewhere down the system? Has this happened to anyone else? It does cover up enough of the display to be annoying.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-21-2023 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2021 RT LT

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PJveetwin View Post
    On my 21 RTL with 19K, the banner on the display would not go out. Pulled the brake light off the trunk to better expose the micro switch. All looked clean and I could clearly hear it clicking. It appears to be a well-sealed unit, and I sprayed a good contact cleaner and worked the switch, but that did not work. Went on a ride and 15 minutes later, it went out. Worked the switch again and it did not fail. Now I'm wondering if it wasn't a computer glitch somewhere down the system? Has this happened to anyone else? It does cover up enough of the display to be annoying.
    Occasionally on my 14 RT I will get that message also, but when I check it - the Lid is latched. .... I then open it and shut it harder, - the message goes away ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I get the same as Mike once in a while on my 2012. A quick open and close always fixes it.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

That is an example of the computer letting everyone know exactly who/what is really in charge.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PJveetwin View Post
    My Spyder is a 2013 RT, and it's got one of the 'dual-acting' Park-Brake/Electronic Frunk Release switches on the Dash Panel just below the handlebars/in front of the pie warmer/glove box - a WONDERFUL concept; and initially, it was quite handy, just to be able to flick the switch and open the frunk.... Only the micro-switch component down at the Frunk end rapidly became problematic; and now, a few years & quite a few frunk releases later, it's really pretty hit & miss that it'll work - I get maybe one successful open out of every couple of hundred switch attempts, but I'm stubborn so I still try the switch most times I go to open the trunk, altho I do tend to pretty rapidly revert to the Key Press & Turn method after maybe twenty or so failed clicks of the switch!! After replacing the switch on the dash once and replacing more than one micro-switch with limited success for a very short period if at all, it's pretty clear that it's a simply a hit & miss cheap arse micro-switch that's the issue!!

Over the years here, we've seen other OEM 'micro-switch controlled' functions that've had issues: the dual acting Park Brake/Frunk release switches that BRP dropped in 2014/15 cos they were so problematic; Park Brakes refusing to engage/release; brake lights with incorrect activation causing issues with Cruise Control; and the list goes on.... And then of late, there's been a growing number of 2020+ Spyders with all sorts of issues that frequently sheet home to one or more of the still cheap arsed OEM micro-switches, including things like the issues you're having with your trunk light warning PJ!!

Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue while on a trip last month, could not get the light to go out despite trying several times to close the trunk lid, even rearranging stuff inside the trunk, nothing worked. Kept riding and pulled off the highway for fuel after several miles and when i got off the bike the left side case door was in the fully open position. I just had not securely latched it and it came open. Prior to that I had no idea the "trunk" warning light also pertained to the side cases. Luckily I have the CanAm luggage that came with the '21 Sea to Sky and it fits very snugly into the side case so I did not lose it!
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

I gently re-bowed the spring that sits over the micro-switch on my 2020. If you are uncomfortable trying that, cut a sliver of duct tape, about 1/8" x 3/8" inch and stick it on the spring; that should act as a shim and trigger the switch better.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

I had this banner pop up once on a 2020 F3 limited I had. It wasn't the rear case (even though the banner said so), but one of the side cases wasn't fully latched. Double check your side bags just in case.

2023 RT limited, red

Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

It took around 100+ miles, then went away on its own. I had pulled the switch out and cleaned it the best I could. Exercised it while connected. I could not un-plug it without taking a lot of tupperware off, so I could not verify if the switch was working or if it was something else. About 1000 miles later, has not happened again
    2021 RT LT

Spyder Garage

It's one of those things not to lose any sleep over as long as the motor still runs, if it keeps up change the switch! If that don't work, put some tape over the light!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Like posted it could be one of three cases causing this message.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

If I get that warning and opening and closing the trunk doesn't eliminate it I know it is one of the side cases.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze