Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Best alignment to be found! Union SC.

If anyone needs the best lazer alignment in the world contact Sean (Triniman here on the Forum). He aligned my 2011 Can Am RT-S and I couldn't believe the difference. He has the lastest equipment for alignment on Can Ams and can also do trikes. For an added bonus he is a really good guy ready to help you in any way he can. He is located in Union SC.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-22-2023 at 04:26 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thank you Leon for your kind words. This was not a laser alignment system. It's a patent tool and process that uses a 3D aligner. Like you have seen, I have built and proven specs for single riders and dual riders. The accuracy of the alignment system is 0.01 degree for toe, 0.1 degree for camber and caster. The system will do regular trikes, reverse trikes, and autocycles like the Slingshot. The whole process of doing a Spyder alignment takes about 10 to 12 minutes with a print-out showing before and after measurements. I have had to keep it under wraps for the last two years, but during that time, I have been helping individuals that really needed help. One other thing to note, no more measuring tape or reference cards.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-20-2023 at 06:59 PM. Reason: duel; ,'s; helping... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Good to know. Sounds like a day trip from Murrells inlet, SC to Union, SC. Do you also install tires?
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I can mount and balance your front tires. Sorry, I don't do the rear. Just give a call and we can setup a time. In the past 2 years, which has been painful, that I have not been able to help more people from this forum. You deserve better. I know change is hard to accept, but this is very good change. I'm in the process of getting OEMs on board so that all dealers will have this to better serve you the customer.
    Last edited by Triniman; 11-21-2023 at 08:57 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triniman View Post
    Thank you Leon for your kind words. This was not a laser alignment system. It's a patent tool and process that uses a 3D aligner. Like you have seen, I have built and proven specs for single riders and dual riders. The accuracy of the alignment system is 0.01 degree for toe, 0.1 degree for camber and caster. The system will do regular trikes, reverse trikes, and autocycles like the Slingshot. The whole process of doing a Spyder alignment takes about 10 to 12 minutes with a print-out showing before and after measurements. I have had to keep it under wraps for the last two years, but during that time, I have been helping individuals that really needed help. One other thing to note, no more measuring tape or reference cards.
    No doubt your setup is pretty cool.
    I purchased a ROLO Laser Alignment setup a while back. Immediately, I made changes, improving the accuracy, both in setup prior to aligning and for alignment. No more inaccurate tape measuring, or guessing.

Even had a friend design a company logo. Also did the documents for customer info and incoming / outgoing settings.

Was planning to do alignments for Spyder owners, but opted out except for friends.
    Have the alignment tooling and BUDS / BUDS2, all of it stashed away, but there when I need it.

Spyder Garage

I can mount and balance your front tires. Sorry, I don't do the rear.
    Curious, what type balancer are you using? Mine is a Snap On balancer for cars. Easily balances to within 1/10 oz.

Crazy thing about the balancer, I have helped a couple folks that had vibration issues with the Spyder. Dealers insisted there was no problem after attempts at rebalancing, or even swapping out tires. Remove the dealer balanced wheels, check them and sure enough, not balanced correctly. Rebalance on a good balancer and no more vibrations. Not sure how dealers can screw it up so badly, but they do.

Spyder Garage

This system does not need BUDS/ BUDS2. The only time you will need to use BUDS is if you replace the steering angle sensor or replace the steering system. I have been told by people, who once were strangers that I was giving a helping hand to that are now friends for life, of the issues that there have had with their Spyder handling that they have grown to accept, were now gone and it was like riding a new vehicle. How about this, NO more bump steering, No more pulling to the left or right when braking. Due to the accuracy of the system and not doing just go enough, these issues reduced or eliminated. You can have "just good enough" and not have tire wear but still have other issues that you accept as the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I have 2 Hunter Engineering balancers. One is a Quick Match and the other is a Road Force balancer. My shop has everything Hunter. I was a Hunter Service Tech. for 20 years and left because I was a fixed based operation. I have owned my own shop for 7 1/2 years, so I service and maintain my own equipment including calibration of my balancers and aligner. I have install and service A LOT of equipment and trained just as many techs.

Spyder Garage

Sounds interesting. I am curious as to how you adjust for camber/caster. Since these are fixed by non adjustable machined surfaces. And how it is that you do not need BUDS to re-calibrate the Angle Position Sensor. Which, if zeroed with an incorrect alignment. Will no longer be zeroed if changes are made. I would think it should at least be checked as if that sensor gets too far out, it will cause a Limp Mode event.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Ron, you are about 3 hours from me in Spartanburg, SC. I would like to invite you to come see for youself and your questions will be answered and please bring your Spyder. I can have camber/caster, toe and thrust angle on the screen with minutes. The answer to your question is caster is not adjustable. Camber is adjustable be changing the ride height. When you can see what I can see, you will be amazed of the changes that happen to the Spyder when you start turning the adjuster on the shock. You really need to see this. Because of what I can see and do, I was able to develop a performance spring package for the Spyder that you can ride and test. The springs have been designed and spec. to the spyder to not change the ride height which will not change the camber. With the development of this tecnology, the after market can develop better and more products because they will be able to see the effect of their products on the vehicles. This will apply to all reverse trikes. Doug, who came to you about a month ago to have new tires put on and then trailed his Spyder home, I reached out to him because he need help, and after do the alignment, he also has a printed record of the alignment, before and after the adjustment,

Spyder Garage

Let me just say that Sean is a master at what he does. I am glad that he is now able to bring his innovative way of doing this alignment to the Spyder group. He has worked hard and has helped several while developing this system. I for one was about to give up on my Spyder after getting a laser alignment and still having problems. His contacting me thru this board is what save my ridding. It has never felt of been this good. I have put over 5,000 miles since having this done and I am still amazed at how the bike handles. I now have a big grin on my face and I thank Sean ever time I get on my Spyder. His shop in Union is clean and well kept he takes pride in what he does and will explain everything he is doing if your interested or hay you can go next door to the Hardies and get something to eat while he takes good care of your bike. But eat fast cause it don't take long. Oh yea you also get a printout of adjustments that are made. I wish all the success in the world as he moves forward because I understand he has some other things in the works to help us riders. Let me just finish by saying I am glad his shop is only an hour and fifteen minutes from me but I think even if it was eight hours now I would take my bike to him.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ddub View Post
    Let me just say that Sean is a master at what he does. I am glad that he is now able to bring his innovative way of doing this alignment to the Spyder group. He has worked hard and has helped several while developing this system. I for one was about to give up on my Spyder after getting a laser alignment and still having problems. His contacting me thru this board is what save my ridding. It has never felt of been this good. I have put over 5,000 miles since having this done and I am still amazed at how the bike handles. I now have a big grin on my face and I thank Sean ever time I get on my Spyder. His shop in Union is clean and well kept he takes pride in what he does and will explain everything he is doing if your interested or hay you can go next door to the Hardies and get something to eat while he takes good care of your bike. But eat fast cause it don't take long. Oh yea you also get a printout of adjustments that are made. I wish all the success in the world as he moves forward because I understand he has some other things in the works to help us riders. Let me just finish by saying I am glad his shop is only an hour and fifteen minutes from me but I think even if it was eight hours now I would take my bike to him.
    oh yah, I remember you had alignment done nearby your house before a long trip, and tires started wear real bad from the nut not being fully tight and affecting toe in/out
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Excellent thread..... Only problem is there is no contact info being shared.. I know he is in Union, SC an his name is Sean aka Triniman... But that is it!!!
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RiderDuke View Post
    Excellent thread..... Only problem is there is no contact info being shared.. I know he is in Union, SC an his name is Sean aka Triniman... But that is it!!!
    That's because advertising by non-sponsors is not allowed here! For that matter, neither is encouraging others to break the Forum Rules!

But you could always send a PM!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-22-2023 at 07:15 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

This system does not need BUDS/ BUDS2. The only time you will need to use BUDS is if you replace the steering angle sensor or replace the steering system. I have been told by people, who once were strangers that I was giving a helping hand to that are now friends for life, of the issues that there have had with their Spyder handling that they have grown to accept, were now gone and it was like riding a new vehicle. How about this, NO more bump steering, No more pulling to the left or right when braking. Due to the accuracy of the system and not doing just go enough, these issues reduced or eliminated. You can have "just good enough" and not have tire wear but still have other issues that you accept as the Spyder.
    Yes, of course camber, even though technically non adjustable, can be altered via ride height. Downside though is there is a balance needed between camber and chassis front roll center. If an ideal camber angle of say -1/4 degree were obtained, the suspension arm angles may no longer be conducive to a good front roll center, and / or chassis clearance may not be adequate.

Regarding bump steer, unfortunately, the Spyders simplistic go kart steering design, does not place the inner steering tie rod end in a location that has no bump steer, even in a straight ahead steering angle. Had the designers utilized a wider steering rack, very likely the straight ahead bump steer could have been eliminated. They could have even made a more complex design, with more parts if they utilized a center link on idler arms.

Agree with you regarding a proper alignment will track straight under braking. I have found though, that a setup optimized for minimal rolling resistance with excellent straight line and cornering can get a bit nervous under hard braking. Even though our Spyder has upgraded front suspension, including firmer springs, not just added preload that does not alter spring rate, under hard braking, the front wheels toe out slightly during a hard braking event, and on some occasion, I can feel the front end momentarily squirm side to side. Normal braking is a nonissue. The hard braking, combined with bump steer toeing out both wheels the same amount, causes the squirm.

You mentioned not needing BUDS or BUDS2. That is a curious statement, and impressed you find the need to reset both the steering angle sensor and steering torque sensor after an alignment. Better still, used correctly, the BUDS and BUDS2 is a means to find incoming concerns during an alignment.

Regardless, all the best in your Spyder alignment issues.

Spyder Garage

Is Sean a Spyder owner / Spyder rider also?

Spyder Garage

Yes he is a spyder rider and owner. He is also a great guy and a dear friend to anyone he comes in contact with.

Spyder Garage

It was not my intention to violate the forum rules. I am sorry to do that. I am working on becoming a sponsor. I think you can PM me, I think.

Spyder Garage

I do have a 2021 F3 Ltd. It was what started all this. I LOVE my Spyder. I had a Yamaha Raider for 10 years before getting the Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

took all of 30 seconds to find his shop on google maps

Spyder Garage

PMK and Others, I am not a frontend alignment expert, so I'll not try to explain what it is that Sean has done to make my RT ride so-so much better. Let me say that it glides over bumps with no twitching (my way of describing bump steer). Its a delight to run through the twisties and now my two wheel friends have no problem with me taking the lead. I also had the pleasure of riding his bike and was amazed at how it handled and if I can I want to be first in line when he gets his other items developed. The fact that he developed and patented a better way of aligning three wheel vehicles says a lot about this man.

Spyder Garage

PMK and Others, I am not a frontend alignment expert, so I'll not try to explain what it is that Sean has done to make my RT ride so-so much better. Let me say that it glides over bumps with no twitching (my way of describing bump steer). Its a delight to run through the twisties and now my two wheel friends have no problem with me taking the lead. I also had the pleasure of riding his bike and was amazed at how it handled and if I can I want to be first in line when he gets his other items developed. The fact that he developed and patented a better way of aligning three wheel vehicles says a lot about this man.
    I agree with what Ddub has said. It is pretty obvious that I don't know anything about the mechanics of frontend alignment when I referred to it as lazer alignment which it is not. But I,like Ddub, am amazed about how much better my 2011 RT-S handled after the alignment. I thank him from the bottom of my heart.

Spyder Garage

I'm going to try and answer your question, and I am not putting any method for doing the 3-wheel alignment down. Like any tool, the proficiency of the operator plays a major role in the use of that equipment. For people like Lamonster, Squared Away, etc, who have been around since day one, their proficiency in using their equipment is second to none. They have data collected from back when the laser alignment system was introduced. To this day, the 3-wheel alignment is still done with reference cards, a laser level on a patented hub and tape measure. Other ways of doing the alignment comprised of taking measurements off the chassis, which in the alignment world is a no no; or building a jig to square up the front wheels (reverse trikes); or rear wheels (regular trikes). What I have done for the past two years uses none of the above, and I can see camber, caster, toe, and thrust angle live. I can make adjustment to that vehicle, live, and can verify my adjustment by sitting on my Spyder and looking at the change of the reading with the vehicle loaded, which is how it travels while on the road. The accuracy of this system is 0.01° for toe, 0.1° for camber and caster, and 0.01° for thrust angle. To get a straight steering wheel or handlebar when doing the alignment, you have to do a minimum of a thrust angle alignment with refence to the rear wheel for reverse trikes. My system will also do regular trikes, where you can see the rear individual toe, camber, and thrust angle. This will help the guys that ride regular trikes to get their vehicle handling better.

The system that I have repeats and you will also, most importantly, have a printed record of the before and after measurements. Record keeping is very, very important to this process. For the customer, dealers, and OEMs. It is nonexistent at this time. To this day, if you are not standing watching the alignment being performed, are you sure it's being done or done correctly? I have not done anywhere close to the volume of alignments Lamonster or Square Away have done, but what I can say is that there are about 60 printouts that single and dual riders have for their records showing what their 3 wheel vehicles look like; and after doing their alignment, I tell each of them not to trust what I have done and to allow me to prove that it was correct. I've had single riders &/or husbands and wives sit on their trikes so they could see the reading of the vehicle when weighted. This is why I have two specs; single rider and dual riders. With the level of accuracy of my system, those same people have told me of the changes in the way their Spyder handles, and that they are having to retrain themselves. Handling issues that they got used to and thought were normal are no longer there.

I don't know if the people that are doing the alignments are using low friction turnplates under the front wheels when making adjustments, but I do know they are not taking wheel and hub runout into consideration. The system has no way to compensate for it.
    Last edited by Triniman; 11-24-2023 at 07:54 AM. Reason: rerular... + ;-)

Spyder Garage

Sean adjusted my 2019 RT Limited at his shop earlier this year. What a difference! Really nice guy and loves to show you what is going on as he does it.

Spyder Garage

I would like to add to the posts on the alignments that can be done by Triniman in Union SC. I had my 2014 RT aligned by Sean. A great value - although the alignment wasn't out by very much, for sure undesired tire wear was reduced by having this done. Even with the little that was corrected, I could feel difference on the road at high speed - less vibration at the front end. We also had my wife's F3-T aligned - hers was out by a lot more. Again, unnecessary tire wear was prevented. I plan on having Sean check and adjust my 2018 F3 Limited very soon. Sean's method is truly unique, as mentioned in another post, he can check any 3-wheel cycle - including Slinghots. His method is, shall we say, eye opening. As he mentioned in his post, he provides the customer with a hard copy printout of the "before" and "after". This way you walk away happy...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-27-2023 at 02:36 PM.